Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Drilled out cleat bolts – am I screwed?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Had to resort to drilling out a pair of very seized bolts.

Using standard sized pair pliers to grasp the nub, I can’t get them to turn in the cleat plate.

Do I have any other options?

tjagain

soak in plusgas? remove the plate from inside the shoe? then you can add some heat

somafunk

Use decent vice grips after soaking the cleat bolts in plus gas, or if you are a cheapskate use some diesel

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Get a new cleat plate if all else fails.

I’ve not yet come across an MTB shoe that doesn’t have a replaceable one, might take some lateral thought and a sharp knife, but they’ll go.

Road shoes need epoxy and patience. But then i’ve only once had to deal with a seized road cleat bolt. So others might be easier. (An old old old Carnac IIRC)

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry I should have mentioned they are Shimano MT90 waterproof boots, and have a sealed footbed.

Could cut into that but was gonna sell them anyway, so not sure there’s any point.

I will get some Plusgas, that’s worth a try if it’s significantly more effective than GT85?

scotroutes

If the boot/shoe has a waterproof lining, you’re screwed. Otherwise, take out the insole and see if you can get to the plate (it’s called a cleat nut). I think I have a couple kicking around, let me know if you need one.

I’ve successfully drilled out an old cleat bolt with a small drill and using a bench drill. If you’re careful, you’ll be able to drill right through the middle of it and that might well relieve enough tension to let it come out. Alternatively, use a threaded extractor once you’ve created the pilot hole.

Of course, most cleat nuts come with 4 holes, can you not slide it into a position where the other pair are useful?

D0NK

they are Shimano MT90 waterproof boots, and have a sealed footbed.

HAD a sealed footbed. Possibly time to cut to breakout the stanley knife but….

Your average cleat plate has 2 pair of bolt holes, if you’ve spannered up one pair but the other is in ok condition and plate is otherwise ok I have managed to push the plate up and rotate it 180 and used the other set of bolt holes. This was a good few years ago on a set of sealed shimano winterboots, dunno if still possible. Good luck.

<edit> is plusgas safe to use on your sealed boots btw? not going to rot/melt the goretex or anything is it?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You sure the sealed footbed/liner doesn’t just lift up? So you can rotate the plate and drop it out through the cleat slot?
    I’ve done that several times.

theotherjonv

this ^^^^

Tracey

Last time we did it we used an angle grinder and cut the cleats of as well. With what was left of the bolt one of us grasped it with some mole grips whilst the other turned the shoe. Managed to get all the four bolts out that way.

chakaping
    Free Member

Footbed is stitched in yeah.

Out of interest, do you think people generally favour the front or rear holes? (oo-er missus)

With what was left of the bolt one of us grasped it with some mole grips whilst the other turned the shoe. Managed to get all the four bolts out that way.

This is what I’m attempting but with no joy. It’s probably been in there 10 years TBH.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Drilled out cleat bolts – am I screwed?’ is closed to new replies.