Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Drill chuck jammed question
  • ononeorange

My power drill chuck has made such good friends with the bit it has completely jammed onto it. It’s one of those twisty affairs without a chuck key.

It seems a real shame to bin an otherwise working drill, any ideas for feeing it off without the use of a vice (I don’t have one)?

Cheers

robhughes
    Free Member

Stillsons or pipe grips if you have them or grow some muscles. 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

Does it have a clamp on side handle? If it has fit it to the chuck and it’ll undo easily.

Olly
    Free Member

ive had this before, but cant remember how i sorted it. It was something silly and easy though. I would be tempted to give the jaws a tap. Get a solid drift, like the flat head of a big nail or screw, put it against one of the jaws, and give it a firm tap to encourage it back into the drill. You are probably just going to need to “crack a jam”, and dont want to do anything too hard that might bork the gearbox or clutch.

robhughes
    Free Member

Olly
    Free Member

in fact, you may find tapping the bit itself back into the body, takes the jaws back with it. It will only need half a mm of movement.

ononeorange

Thanks chaps. Stw is brilliant – wasn’t sure I’d get a response. Will go and try shortly.

Does have a side handle……

joshvegas
    Free Member

Have you stuck a drill or alan key in the hole to stop it rotating and freeing up both hands for gripping duties?

ononeorange

Which hole?

finishthat
    Free Member

Put a jubilee clip on the loosening part of the chuck and the whack it with
    a hammer on the nut end of the clip a few sharp blows will have it off.

project
    Free Member

Hold drill chuck tight in hand and put drill into reverse keep finger CLEAR of drill bit and slowly pull trigger while holding tight, bit will now fall out

project
    Free Member

also squirt som wd 40 down sides of chuck betwen the two parts that move, and tap it gently.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Happened to me recently. Stillies were no good, chuck was seized enough to torque out the motor when holding, ended up releasing it by tapping the jaws into the body. Freed it up just enough to open it by hand with motor assistance.

Mind and check your batteries after though, torqueing out left my NiCd’s very unhappy (very little charge) but a full discharge/charge cycle (just locked the trigger down and left it to discharge) sorted them a treat.

ononeorange

Thanks again all. Squirrel, not a problem here as it’s a mains one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Drill chuck jammed question’ is closed to new replies.