Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • drifting a headset out of a frame – screwdriver OK?
  • nedrapier

Plus hammer, obviously. I’d imagine there’s be a wee bit of impact damage, but nothing serious that couldn’t be cleaned up with couple of passes of a file?

jedi

plus big hammer and beers!

Popocatapetl

Big screwdriver and small hammer! you shouldn’t have to file anything unless you’ve been on the beers already 😀 Take your time and do it equal and opposite so you don’t “bur” the housings.

belugabob
    Free Member

I used the larger one of these – small enough to fit up the head tube, but large enough to not bite into anything.
    Just do light-ish taps with a hammer and keep moving around the circumference, to make sure that it comes out as straight as possible.

andyl
    Free Member

hmm, I wouldn’t use a screwdriver. Got anything blunter lying around?

nedrapier

Ha! Genuinely laughed out loud. I’m spinning round to a friend’s tomorrow with a bag o’ tools to start a build at 10am. This bit will be early on the agenda, so beers shouldn’t have taken much of a hold.

Cheers!

nedrapier

I ws replying (slowly. beers might not be an issue tomorrow morning, but this evening’s red wine might be) to Popo’s.

I’ll use a screwdriver. It’ll be grand, I’m sure. ish. Not my bike anyway!

Popocatapetl

Belugabob is right on track there. i personally use a carbon rod from a challenger 2 main battle tank gunnery tool kit, but i doubt you have one of those knocking round 😀

paul4stones

I’ve just got a £13 tool from crc to do this. Brilliant. One tap’s all it took.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I use a copper drift but it isnt something you normaly have hanging around, a good substitute is a socket T BAR

rOcKeTdOg

I use a socket extender

bunnerscj
    Free Member

I use a socket extender to get down the headtube then a spark plug socket on the end of the extender to strike the cup of the headset. That way no damage to the frame or cups. Screwdrivers can damage both frames and cups 😆

itsmygame
    Free Member

Sawn bit of wooden broom handle works a treat one tap that’s all.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Screwdriver should be fine its what I used to use before i got a nice frame and headset.

monkeyboyjc

better off with a bit of pipe than a screwdriver – but a screwdriver will do if your careful.

al2000

I use an old section of 1″ aluminium steerer. Screwdriver is fine though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘drifting a headset out of a frame – screwdriver OK?’ is closed to new replies.