• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Drift wood in the garden – should I use a wood treatment on it?
  • wwaswas

Big bit with roots being added to remodelled garden.

Do I need to treat it or will being in the sea for a long time have preserved it?

DrP

Is this for your Robinson Crusoe themed corner?

DrP

thestabiliser
    Free Member

encase it in concrete

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I’ve just redone part of the garden with a load of driftwood. if it is bleached from being in the sun it should be ok.
    some of the bits I have that are in the shade do get a bit damp looking but when they dry out they’re fine.
    if I knew how to post pictures up from my phone then I’d show you how they look so you have an idea.

stumpy01

Chat Forum

Drift wood in the garden………..

I’d be more worried about stronger flood defences, rather than bothering with a spot of wood treatment!!

wwaswas

Robinson Crusoe themed corner

desert island meets Hove beach, really…

theotherjonv

Not Robinson Crusoe, go for Blue Lagoon. I don’t think Brooke Shields is inundated for work, she’ll happily stand in the corner of your garden exploring her developing sexuality for minimum wage and all the toast she can eat.

And she can make sure your driftwood doesn’t get wet at the same time.

Win-win.

[yes, i know she was only 14 at the time but I was 10]

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Nice. What time does the tide come in. 🙂

TimP
    Free Member

If the tide comes in that far, Brighton Pier will be under water!!

Sadly the phallic i360 wont be though

clodhopper
    Free Member

Depends what wood it is, and how long it was in the sea. Obviously salt will act as a preservative, and aid drying, but it may still have a lot of moisture inside. I’m not sure if you’d need to ‘treat’ it really; I’d suppose that if it hasn’t rotted away in the sea, then it might well survive without any treatment.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Here you go.

The three upright planks were already treated as you can still smell it from where the length was cut. The rest is sun bleached / seatwater infused driftwood.
    We have a few more pieces to put down and then it’ll be left to grow wild (the plants, not the driftwood)

DrP

Nice!

I too am making a house into a beach hut style thing…

Where did you get the sleepers?
    I want to replace the cracked white top of the planting area with smallish sleepers.
    Local suggestions??

DrP

wwaswas

Guy who did it got the sleepers. Somewhere in Brighton, I’m sure, as he was only gone for about an hour 🙂 I’ll ask

We do have five new sleepers spare (due to a bit of miscommunication) if you wanted those rather than ex-railway with holes in?

4130s0ul
    Free Member

The sleeper was a chance find washed up on the beach.

It was too big for anyone to just walk off with so I came back with the saw and made it more manageable.

There’s a few more massive oak beams that look as though they’ve fallen off a galleon along the way but I’d need a chainsaw and a crane to get them.

All the wood in that pic was collected from the small “beach” 5mins from the house. which is in Portishead. every week there’s a fresh selection to choose from if you’re quick enough (tide and time literally wait for no man in this instance)

If you just want sleepers and not driftwood then there are loads of online oak merchants that sell sleepers, homebase even sell small lengths of railway sleepers but I doubt they’re cheap.

EDIT:….oops, just realised DrP may not have been talking to me…as you were gentlemen

wwaswas

thanks 4130s0ul & clodhopper – will leave it untreated and see how it goes.

DrP

“We do have five new sleepers spare (due to a bit of miscommunication) if you wanted those rather than ex-railway with holes in?”

If that’s OK?

Thing is, i didn’t want ‘massive train type sleepers’, more ‘demi sleepers’.

What’s the dimensions of your spare ones Wwaswas??
    Ideally i’d be after end size of 180mm x 120mm ish…

DrP

Yak

Bit like this?

(Derek Jarman’s Garden)

kayak23

I’ve used this stuff on the hardwood shingles on me shed and an outside table. It’s pretty unobtrusive and doesn’t seem to affect the colour much. Just wang it on…
    Screwfix.

wwaswas

These are 200x100x2400 DrP.

DrP

they may be super lovely…
    I’ll FB message you..

DrP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Drift wood in the garden – should I use a wood treatment on it?’ is closed to new replies.