Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Drift improvisation for novatec / superstar front hub
  • Garry_Lager

First time bearing change on a front novatec 881 (I think the same as used in a superstar switch set). Removed the end caps, there is another black cap sitting over the bearing that needs knocking out:

Anyone done this before and can advise? There’s a bit of movement between the bearing and the central tubular piece, but not enough to get any purchase with a screwdriver. Looks like it needs something with quite a sharp lip on it to slide in and get behind the bearing, but I can’t think what to use.
    Need to get this sorted asap otherwise it’s the Hope valley challenge on a cross bike!

docrobster
    Free Member

Ive changed ss switch hub bearings a few times and fairly sure I just whack them out with a screw driver. Or a piece from a socket set or something?
    Edited after reading the op properly…

Garry_Lager

Yeah I can’t see how to get a screwdriver behind the bearing – maybe you can and I’m missing how to do it.

I guess my question boils down to what implement, specifically, do I hit this hub with to get the bearing out.

docrobster
    Free Member

The tube just moves out of the way I think. Have a wiggle.

warpcow
    Free Member

What they said. Poke at it with a screwdriver until you get some purchase on an edge and then wack away.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Drift improvisation for novatec / superstar front hub’ is closed to new replies.