Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Dress codes (again)
  • zippykona

Summer is here . On Thursday I’m taking Mrs Zip up to London to have lunch.
    It’s going to be hot.
    I can’t believe that in the 21st century to be allowed the honour of paying to eat someone’s food I have to dress up as if it is winter.
    Long trousers and a jacket. I will die of heat stroke.
    This really **** me off.
    While we are still in Europe surely I am being discriminated against because of my gender.

scotroutes

Have lunch somewhere you don’t have to dress the way you don’t want to. There must be more than one restaurant in London.

Cougar

Wear a dress.

zippykona

I might go as a Buddhist. Already got the haircut.

barkm
    Free Member

they get away with it, because people tolerate it. Such is life.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Instruct ones valet to prepare the linen suit, surely.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Long trousers and a jacket. I will die of heat stroke.
    This really **** me off.

What is it touching 40c?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Linen or seersucker works when you want to look smart and it’s warmer outside.

What? No tie or cravat? You must be really slumming it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What is it touching 40c?

Quite. I spend plenty of time wearing a suit in very hot climes (US, Asia, etc.) Nice lightweight, obviously. Haven’t died to death yet.

zanelad
    Free Member

Since when have McDonalds had a dress code?

footflaps

Since when have McDonalds had a dress code?

Not sure you can get a Ronald McDonald costume in linen…

DrJ

CFH – where do you buy really lightweight suits off the peg? Assuming you don’t have a personal man in Hong Kong 🙂

footflaps

Assuming you don’t have a personal man in Hong Kong

Only cheapskates use HK, the rest of us use the family Tailor in Saville Row.

However, as he was busy, my lightweight suit, for use in hot countries, came off the peg from Rohan….

benp1

I’m taking Mrs Zip up to London to have lunch.

I can’t believe that in the 21st century to be allowed the honour of paying to eat someone’s food I have to dress up as if it is winter

Whilst in principle I agree with you, it does sound like you’ve chosen the restaurant – other eateries are available

I would advise not taking the tube, it will be hotter than the face of the sun. Walking will be coolest

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Walking will be coolest

I’m sure said establishment has somewhere for your driver to wait.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Worst.
    Humblebrag.
    Evah.

the-muffin-man

Quite. I spend plenty of time wearing a suit in very hot climes (US, Asia, etc.) Nice lightweight, obviously. Haven’t died to death yet.

If the OP is like 90% of men in the UK we only have 1 suit – used for all occasions. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1 suit!

zippykona

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-hate-wearing-a-suit
    However I will go into Marks today and try on a linen suit. Even if it’s really comfy I still will have to wear shoes.
    I shall be expecting Michel Roux Jnr to cook my dinner in a top hat and tails.

theotherjonv

Le Gavroche. You lucky sod, been once, stunning.

dannybgoode

my lightweight suit, for use in hot countries, came off the peg from Rohan..

When my dad lived in Australia he swore by Rohan suits to make the heat bearable when he had to dress smart…

PJM1974
    Free Member

I briefly went to school in a very warm country. If the temperature exceeded 35 degrees, I was allowed to remove my blazer and tie.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

HK suits are a false economy nowadays. Trading on bygone reputation.

dragon
    Free Member

Surely they have air-con in which case hardly a big deal. Dress code says they allow jeans, so you only need a jacket.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

DrJ

My mistake is buying summer suits when it’s not actually that hot outside, so I think something will be light enough. But it isn’t 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I simply refuse to go anywhere where I’m TOLD what I should wear. If the occasion is fitting (work, wedding etc) then fine. I have no issue looking smart. I wouldn’t go to a posh dinner in shorts and Birkenstocks but I’d see no reason why lightweight trousers and a nice shirt sleeved shirt wouldn’t be appropriate if it was hot. If it wasn’t, I’d probably tell them to poke it.

benp1

You always have a choice. You just choose not to go there

Part of the challenge is your idea of nice trousers and nice shirt is different to everyone elses. I guess a jacket is a bit of a leveller (to a point)

I CBA with them either, but I too have a choice 😀

zippykona

I like my customers to feel as happy as possible while they are spending their money. I will entertain their kids while mum shops, look after their dog so it doesn’t get distressed outside and I’ll happily hoover up the mud they traipse in after they’ve been to the park.
    We will be eating at lunchtime in the summer. I would want my restaurant to have a happy,comfortable atmosphere not have half my clientele counting the seconds til they can leave and get comfortable.
    Yes ,it is a posh restaurant but for most of their customers it’s nothing special ,just like my local cafe is to me.
    The scruffy bastards I encountered at Claridges ,who while fulfilling the dress code also made a complete mockery of it. My gardening clothes have less creases in them.
    Yes, that gentleman has a pair of long trousers and a collar on but he also has his laptop on the table while ramming his very expensive dinner down his gob.

SaxonRider

This man

should be your model for the day.

Pierre Trudeau, when prime minister of Canada, was one of the most suave human beings on the planet. He also got away with wearing a suit with sandals in the House of Commons, and doing a mischievous pirouette behind her majesty, the Queen’s back when she visited Canada.

So, just generally cool, and your precedent for getting away with cheeky combinations.

nickc

I have to dress up

Are you 12?

ourmaninthenorth

Over on mumsnet there’s an AIBU that goes something like….

“to think that, since DH has after 20 years of me suffering his obsession with pushbike a decided at last to book at table at La Gavroche, he wouldn’t behave like a teenager when it comes to dressing for the occasion. I mean, he can wear his Aldi cycling shorts and that smelly “love me love my bike” (bleurgh) t shirt for the other 364 days of the year….”

tomhoward

Yes ,it is a posh restaurant but for most of their customers it’s nothing special ,just like my local cafe is to me.

Have to book 3 months in advance for your local greasy spoon do you?

Carry the jacket, put it on just before you arrive. The restaurant is downstairs, air conditioned and very comfortable. Don’t be such a child.

The finest dining experience of my life, by miles, in every respect.

zippykona

They had better not put own brand sauce in a Heinz bottle.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The scruffy bastards I encountered at Claridges ,who while fulfilling the dress code also made a complete mockery of it. My gardening clothes have less fewer creases in them.
    Yes, that gentleman has a pair of long trousers and a collar on but he also has his laptop on the table while ramming his very expensive dinner down his gob.

But who are we to judge? 8)

zippykona

Anyway I bought an unlined cotton jacket today for £50 just to keep the clothes nazis happy.

Cougar

I don’t mean to judge, each to their own and all. But I can’t help but despair a little at the state of affairs we’ve got ourselves into which necessitates the purchase of a new coat in order to be allowed to have lunch. Doubly so when it’s 28’C outside.

Me, I’d be finding the nearest Wetherspoons. Curry and a pint for a fiver, job jobbed and I can wear shorts and Birkies.

tomhoward

You are aware of the term ‘dressing for dinner’? That doesn’t just mean ‘not exposing yourself’…for a lot of people, going to a place like that is for a special occasion, as I assume it is for you? So if they are dressed up, don’t ruin it for them by going in your best trackies and a wife beater, eh? and then they won’t ruin it for you either

avdave2

It would be very inconsiderate of you to die as no doubt many will feel obliged to turn up for your funeral in suits and the crem can get bloody warm at this time of year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Dress codes (again)’ is closed to new replies.