Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Dredd
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

A bit late to this one but what a good film, Urban managed to pull off the darkness that Stallone lost in seconds. Keeping the lid on for the film worked. Really liked how they melded in the present and future.

Awaits a sequel…

Cougar

Yeah. Very pretty movie, too (in a brutal sort of way).

buck53

Yep, very decent and made good use of the (small) budget. Thought Urban naked it. Unfortunately it didn’t do well at the cinema and although it’s done well on home media it’s probably not enough to get a sufficient budget to do the larger scale sequel I’d like to see.

hora
    Free Member

Good topic on it a while ago (on his character from the comics):

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dredd-any-good

Sequel? Sadly not. Sad really but unlike Batman etc (all big Marvel/Yank/established stuff) theres no commercial market for Dredd to people who have never read 2000ad really huh? 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

never really read it but appreciate the grittier side of life. Much better when it feels real (apart from the bit with the massive guns)

atlaz
    Free Member

I just wish they’d got into the city a bit more to show more of the possibilities of things that could be done with a sequel. I enjoyed it though.

kudos100
    Free Member

Watched it the other night. Good movie. Lovely cinematography and general visuals.

Some of the acting was a bit ropey, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

hora
    Free Member

One film I will be re-watching again very soon is Black Dynamite :mrgreen:

zilog6128

Thought Urban naked

Freudian slip?

z1ppy

I enjoyed it as a 2000AD/Dredd fan, though it wasn’t fantastic by any means. That said it was like a million times better than the Stallone *****. Didn’t see why it was compared with the raid so much, vaguely similar setting/story but it really wasn’t that great

ThePinkster

This is the only film I’ve ever wished I’d seen in 3D.

buck53

Thought Urban naked
    Freudian slip?

Whoops!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Pinkster – Member
    This is the only film I’ve ever wished I’d seen in 3D.

Still not there for me, 10mins could have been cut of indulgent look at my 3d effects baby

zilog6128

Nah, one was enough. Think I’ll stick to the comics.

hora
    Free Member

Rewatching this now. Love its not CGI big blockbuster money. It has almost a world cinema/indie feel and very very graphic- the way bodies act like tomatoes to rounds etc

Kuco

Really enjoyed it and still fancied the hell out of Lena Headey even with the scar 🙂

totalshell

100% better than the stallone tripe.. was much closer to 2000ad than i dared hope. look forward to a scorched earth sequel.. or even dare i whisper it THE comic book character that would make a brilliant movie..

Rogue Trooper..

totalshell

100% better than the stallone tripe.. was much closer to 2000ad than i dared hope. look forward to a scorched earth sequel.. or even dare i whisper it THE comic book character that would make a brilliant movie..

Rogue Trooper..

hora
    Free Member

4th rewatch. Its bloody brilliant. I get it now.

shreck
    Free Member

judge death needs to be in the next one.

hora
    Free Member

Another wont happen. Pardon the pun but its criminal.

Pirates of the carribean V etc will

MSP

Rogue Trooper..

A genetically engineered soldier, brutalised by the acts of violence he commits in war, slowly goes mad and starts talking to his equipment.

darrell
    Free Member

very enjoyable movie

and not a 2000AD fan

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes. Gory but effective.

kimbers

its the dredd day of action

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=a6e40236aa24d482cfff600d2&id=84aca1ee27

I just ordered my copy

retro83
    Free Member

hora – Member

4th rewatch. Its bloody brilliant. I get it now.

What is there to get ❓ I feel like I’ve missed something because everybody loved this film, but I found it tedious, despite being a fan of the genre.

mangatank
    Free Member

Give me the Stallone version any day! It gets so much right…not everything, granted, but the Angel Gang, the city, the block wars…even the humour is pretty authentic. And a Cameo by Hammerstein and Ian Dury? Genius!

*Runs for cover*

hora
    Free Member

What is there to get I feel like I’ve missed something because everybody loved this film, but I found it tedious, despite being a fan of the genre.

First watching I was expecting big things not a bloody VW campervan the tight ****. Then I relaxed and let the visual, music score etc flow over me.

Thats when it clicked. If they’d spent MEGA-bucks on this it’d been lost in translation, as it was it came across as dirty, shitty and even reminded me of my Laser Quest days 8)

footflaps

and even reminded me of my Laser Quest days

Yep, kids these day don’t know what they’re missing!

clubber
    Free Member

I thought it was ok but nothing special and not actually very Megacity – it basically could have been anywhere and being JD was incidental.

For me, it needed to show scale and give an impression of the city rather than just being a small scale (since it was basically all indoors – yes I know the budgetary reasons for this) and mundane view of it.

It should have been called ‘A mundane day in the life of Judge Dredd’.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

even dare i whisper it THE comic book character that would make a brilliant movie..

Rogue Trooper..
    Good call, but

I’m thinking Portrait of a Mutant (the mutant wars) and Rage (getting Wulf’s killers) as the story

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

OR

AlexSimon

clubber – Member
    I thought it was ok but nothing special and not actually very Megacity – it basically could have been anywhere and being JD was incidental.

That’s what I thought too. It was fine and all but…

1) Not enough ‘Future Shocks’ Demolition Man and Stallone Dredd did this better – although the tone was often a little off.

2) Megacity was a disappointment – just a current city with some more highrises. Would have preferred something much more cramped and blade-runner-esque. It didn’t benefit from the flyovers at all.

3) Spoiler – the bad judges shouldn’t have been used. There hadn’t been enough context to make it seem like a big deal. We saw more bad judges than good ones.

4) Not enough humour. Getting the grit/cheese balance must be hard though.

It would probably have to be a big budget lengthy TV series to do the comics justice. Get the Game of Thrones people on the job!

AlasdairMc

So we’ve had an entire thread about Dredd, and nobody has mentioned The Raid?

Well worth watching if you’re a fan of OTT action where the police are trapped in a building full of people trying to kill them.

Dredd was good though – it’s on Netflix somewhere so I may watch it again soon.

hora
    Free Member

I didn’t like Raid apart from the fight scene at the end.

I felt like I was sat inside a Thai restaurant whilst the staff dropped plates onto the floor all around me.

mogrim

2) Megacity was a disappointment – just a current city with some more highrises. Would have preferred something much more cramped and blade-runner-esque. It didn’t benefit from the flyovers at all.

This – the film got so much better once they were inside, the outside bit was awful.

grum
    Free Member

Pretty decent but not as good as The Raid IMO. It was mentioned earlier in the thread btw.

I felt like I was sat inside a Thai restaurant whilst the staff dropped plates onto the floor all around me.

Why a Thai restaurant?

kimbers

AlasdairMc – Member
    Dredd was good though – it’s on Netflix somewhere so I may watch it again soon.

do it today and be part of the day of the dredd!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Dredd’ is closed to new replies.