Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Dream SS bike
  • flashes
    Free Member

Having a pub conversation. If money / waiting times were no object, what SS (without EBB) should be considered. Ideally 29, but 26 an option, steel or Ti, able to race and with a change of a few bits also comfortable for 100mile Gravel Dash, able to tackle trail centres. Obviously there are compromises but wondered what would be on your lists. And unfortunately no One size fits all (they don’t quite)……….

Bregante

Curtis XC29

jonba
    Free Member

Don’t know if mine exists. Carbon or Aluminium for weight, swinging QR 135mm dropouts 29er set up for 120mm forks. HT2 threaded BB. Massive mud clearance. Internal hoses. Tapered headtube with two sets of forks. Full carbon and something with bounce. Set up at about 52″.

Pipedream, cotic, transition, all city and a few others all make things that are close.

epicyclo

flashes – Member
    Having a pub conversation. If money / waiting times were no object, what SS (without EBB) should be considered….

Ragley TD-1

But I’d sooner have an EBB on it.

tazzymtb

another one of these, but wth a truss fork and bull moose bars

and something like this

oooo and an oddity and Burnsey does make an exceedingly good bike

the sheep may up for sale to pay for an oddity

flashes
    Free Member

Do they still make Ragley TD-1 frames?????

EBB’s are the work of the devil…………

flashes
    Free Member

Tazzy, I’ve always liked that bike, if you do decide to sell it and it fits me, I’d appreciate a look at it…..Are you / it at BOTB?

gee
    Free Member

I was going to say the same thing! Could be interested,

tazzymtb

Flashes, yep I am chap, will be with the sheep, satans very own special singular rooster for sams singualr display pile and probably the jones, if i’m feeling like a lazy bugger and cant be arsed with the pedal like a maniac bit (i.e. if I’m screamingly hung over!!)

😀

flashes
    Free Member

I’ll see you there then………………..

Yak

Given that I’m very happy on an inbred – then the same but ti and with fancy sliding dropouts – paragon or similar.

tazzymtb

Given that I’m very happy on an inbred – then the same but ti and with fancy sliding dropouts – paragon or similar.

so something like a Torus then ?

nice frames, stonking price 😀

Yak

Mmmmm, very nice. The mk2 looks spot on.

bubs

That Curtis is lovely – pretty happy with my Tranny though.

flashes
    Free Member

I like the look of the Torus (and love my inbred) but think it would be too XC for all day rides………..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But I’d sooner have an EBB on it.

+1

Hardly a dream bike with a load of mechano bolted to the rear dropouts.

Something like Tazzy’s Engin up there, but with a tapered headtube.

jobro
    Free Member

My dream SS is the one I own (sorry I’m not being deliberately STW)
    Trek 69er.
    Don’t know why, and I certainly don’t believe the “front wheel rolls over things, rear wheel accelerates up quickly” bollocks, but it just is lovely to ride.
    Sorry, probably not what you are after looking at the Ti wonderment listed above.

tazzymtb

loved my trek 69er, just kept destroying rear wheels as I have as much finesse as a chimp on PCP

miranmtb
    Free Member

Money no object => Moonmen

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Stainless on an MTB seems like a daft idea; surely the tube walls are not thick enough to withstand rock strikes……

Agree with TINAS; the mechano looks shite. EBB or track ends.

How about it? http://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/bahookie-single/

Mountain Bike Frame and Bike Pricing

bigblackshed

A Moomen, Black Sheep, Ti Jones, Oddity. There’s too many great bikes to choose from and not enough cash.

If it was just one then it would have to have a bit of bounce on the front. For pure hooliganism.

And no crabon fibber. Proper metal dug up out of the ground, not burnt toast and glue.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

After years of procrastinating I have my dream single-speeder too – Singular Swift.

fasthaggis

I like the look of the Torus

My mate got one last year and went full Ti,forks,bars,stem and seat post.
    It is a beautiful thing to ride and feels fantastic,it’s like having invisible suspension.

one_bad_mofo

I’ve had my dream SS for more years than I care to remember now (at least 15 I think).

flashes
    Free Member

One bad mofo, Nice………………….

Buzzard
    Free Member

SO many great framebuilders to look at. I’m on a Niner Sir at the moment which fits me like a glove. So my dream would be similar Geo, 44mm headtube, BlackCat dropouts (or perhaps Salsa dropouts) in Ti. Enough clearance to run 650b+ too would be nice.

DanW
    Free Member

I’d take Jonba’s specs (in steel) to Jason English, add the travel rear end and let him go nuts

bakey

Probably not a dream bike, but my Love/Hate w/EBB has been an excellent SS.

Now sporting an Alfine 11

tazzymtb

on a dreambike SS type thingy, a mate is selling is full jones space frame with loads of chris king and bling on it, fat front and skinny front wheel etc.. for a very very good price indeedy.

bigblackshed

Taz.

I was about to post the same thing.

If only I had the cash? How much does a kidney go for around these parts?

DanW
    Free Member

pretty happy with my Tranny though

I was on the verge of getting one of these at the time. It’s a shame they made the *updated* 29er version so short and so damned ugly

tazzymtb

bigblackshed, I understand James, will take a regular monthly payment, so if you offer him various body parts that he can sell on the black market, you may just about end up with at least a couple of thigh stumps left to reach the pedals and maybe half a lung…..but you will have a lovely bike 😀

jfb01
    Free Member

For me it would have to be a 2Souls QuarterHorse in Ti with sliding dropouts http://www.2soulscycles.com/index.php/products/quarterhorse-ti .A 120mm Sid with h/b lock out,mostly Hope components & the carbon kevlar rims from http://www.blueflowbikes.com/ I think I would have to remortgage the house though.

adsh
    Free Member

Curtis XC10, track drop outs, custom geo (longer TT, shorter ST, 69.5HA).

Missed the boat for this winter, will be ordering ready for next

bigblackshed

Taz.

It did cross my mind to sell my body for naughty times, once I could probably cope with, don’t knock ’til you’ve tried it, etc. But 1600 times plus tips?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

In stw fashion

It’s not ss specific but then nor am I so it suits me pretty well, for big days in big hills I still want gears and is an easy change.

I must get round to changing the cranks back to the nice carbon rf ones though and replacing the qr.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Hmm, yeah maybe something like that Curtis in aesthetics, but I think I’d be tempted to go 650b. Lefty carbon up front, perhaps some bling King hubs

epicyclo

flashes – Member

No, but money/waiting times were no object.

Or ask Lynskey to knock one up – better ask Brant first though.

miketually
    Free Member

No, but money/waiting times were no object.

Or ask Lynskey to knock one up – better ask Brant first though.[/quote]

I’m sure PACT Bikes could oblige.

I’m hoping for a Sonder TD-1-a-like, in aluminium. I did 100 miles round Kielder and 60 miles at Hit The North on one and loved it.

jfb01
    Free Member

Hi tazzymtb,please ask your mate to send me details of his Jones.
    jeffbushi@yahoo.co.uk
    Cheers
    Jeff

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Dream SS bike’ is closed to new replies.