Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Drawn to steel.
  • vermillion
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking more and more about treating myself a steel (longish travel) hardtail that I can
    1.Ride all day without feeling like I’m getting my ar5e kicked
    2.Use on gnarly/techy descents(lake district passes/Calderdale etc)
    3.Can build light enough to throw over my shoulder for hike-a-bike
    4.Build easily without having to find obscure parts
    5.Afford
    6.Acquire through a shop
    7.test before I buy(probably unlikely)

Most of the bike frames that I’ve looked up have some issues in reviews eg.On One 456 harsh ride/stiff rear..Blue pig and Genesis Alpitude poor build quality..Sanderson life/blitz expensive(but nice) etc.

At the moment I’m riding a 21″ Rockhopper which is ok but I’m ready for a change.
    Any more suggestions anyone,thanks

wwaswas

I think you need to say how much ‘afford’ equates to in £

brant
    Free Member

Latest on-one 456 Evo has a skinnier top tube than before which adds a bit of compliance back in the mix.

Lighter too.

Stronger also.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Sanderson breath.

99% as nice a a life and cheeeeeeeeeeper especially from the bike chain.

8)

thomthumb
    Free Member

On One 456 harsh ride/stiff rear.

not with a 2.3″ tyre.

logical
    Free Member

I have a 456 and love it. Best bike I’ve ever had.

mrjmt
    Free Member

My inbred was the best bike i’ve ever had, now it feels like riding a corpse compared to my breath. 😆

binners

Orange P7. I absolutely love mine. Stick a pair of 130mm forks on it and it’ll tick all your boxes. Its just great fun to ride. My full suss hasn’t had a look in since I bought it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most of the bike frames that I’ve looked up have some issues in reviews eg.

On One 456 harsh ride/stiff – I think most steel frames are stiffer than epople imagine them to be. The mantra verticaly compliant, latteraly stiff isn’t true, you can try to mazimise vertical compliance, but it always results in more latteral movement than just building stiff in the first place.

Blue pig and Genesis Alpitude poor build quality – you’re on a budget

Sanderson life/blitz expensive(but nice) etc. – as above, and add in cotic to that list.

After years of being a ‘steel is real’ evangelist I’ve bought a HX1 as I wanted soemthing light and stiff, my last few steel hardtails had gotten progressively softer and borderline floppy, and before that they’d been heavier and stiffer. There isn’t (IME) a magic steel bike that matches they hype.

The one thing I really like about steel is it’s hard as f***. Building the HX1 I’d forgotten how easy it is to cross thread bolts if not paying 100% attention or even just scratch aluminium frames with cables! So steel really suits the peaks, lakes etc where they’re likely to be dropped on rocks etc.

Much as there’s something really nice about a quality steel frame, there’s also a lot to be said for jumping on a good aluminium hardtail and being able to feel the chain snap tight as the freehub engages and the whole thing accelerates without a hint of flex. I’ve never found a steel frame that quite does it.

Now Ti on the other hand, I’d love a good stiff Ti hardtail thats as hard and tough as a steel frame, but weighs as little as aluminium. borrowed a Ti 456 which fitted that description, but costs.

nedrapier

Don’t know how many extra 853 Prince Albert frames Dialled Miek ordered over the pre-ordered numer, but it’s worth asking. if not, the 520 version is pretty much identical, and highly thought of for the riding you decribe.

If you’re down south, call Head for the Hills in Dorking for a demo. Or ask on here!

bluebird
    Free Member

P7 +1

richen987
    Free Member

+1 for Sanderson, i have a Life and it is absoloutely brilliant, rides great and enough spring in the rear for all day comfort.
    if your anywhere near Southampton/ Hampshire your more than welcome to ride mine to test it out.

cookeaa

I’m not sure the reality really matched the hype when it comes to the supposed ride qualities of steel frames Vs Aluminium, they’re all pretty different, material is just one variable how it’s used is quite another.

So far as I can tell you’ll notice far more bump/trail buzz absorbtion or ‘compliance’ from wider tires run at a sensible pressure and a comfy well adjusted saddle than plumping for a more expensive collection of pipes… Pump the tires up to 45psi on any bike and it’ll seem ‘Harsh’

I will say this my current 456 SS seems more comfortable than the Aluminium frame it replaced but I believe that has more to do with the rider position I get on it, and the tire choice than the actual frame materials,

deets

Can’t believe I’m the first to mention it in this thread, but Cotic Soul.

I went through the same research process before buying one and not been disapointed!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Gav, there’s quite a few folk that you ride with already that have bikes you might want to ask about borrowing:
    Martyn (MRH86) has the 20″ 456 ti
    John K (tirider) has an 18″ Ragley ti
    Marcus (steel4real) had a 19″ Cotic Soul – but might have sold it now ?

Funny you should say that about changing, ‘cos I’ve also been pondering possible longer travel replacements for my Rockhopper too. Got my eyes open for a s/h 20″ Ragley ti frame.

chiefgrooveguru

I was very sceptical about the ride flex/damping benefits of steel vs aluminium, however on switching all my components from a Boardman HT Pro to a Cotic Soul I noticed a clear decrease in the amount of high frequency ‘buzz’ getting through to my hands/feet/seat, despite the Boardman not being the stiffest of aluminium alloy frames. Similar effect to running your tyre pressures a fair bit lower but more damped, like running heavier carcass tyres too.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve always fancied a steel hardtail, so I recently picked up a Pure 7 frame from Bikescene. It’s not as gnarly as a full blown P7, lacking the 853 tubing, ISCG mounts, throat gusset and being limited to a 140mm fork, but it’s a lovely ride with Pikes and a Pro 11/719 wheelset.

I only bought the frame as the basis of a hack bike project, but it’s steadily becoming more “bling” as time passes and if I’m completely honest with myself it’s also the bike I look forward to riding most of all. My other bikes are a Spesh Enduro and a Marin Wolf Ridge…

I’d certainly go so far as to say that buying a steel hardtail has reinvigorated my riding.

kayak23

Prince Albert FTW

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can’t believe I’m the first to mention it in this thread, but Cotic Soul.

thisisnotaspoon -member
    ………
    and add in cotic to that list.
    ……….

you’re not 😛

vermillion
    Free Member

Before I posted this I’d also been looking at the write ups on the cotic Bfe..It was all lookin good especially in the What Mountainbike review,until that is they mentioned that the largest sized frame will be too small for anyone 6’+ .Would that also apply to the Soul?

Coyote
    Free Member

Tried a Dialled Alpine, too small for all day but a great bike on the downs.

Tried a DMR Trailstar. Good bike but something just not *quite* right. Also heavy.

Ended up back with the Coyote Dual (alloy) frame. Love the bike.

Still got a Kona Hahanna, fully rigid mind, for road work. Love it.

soulwood
    Free Member

I would say that WMB article was misguided in that comment. I ride a large Soul and I am 6’3″. I have owned too many bikes to remember in my 23 yrs of biking and the Soul is by far the best (second place being a 93 Kona Explosif) It is expensive but it will last you a lifetime and you won’t regret it.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

largest sized frame will be too small for anyone 6’+

this isn’t really true. I’m nearly 6′ and my medium BFe is great.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-bfe-sizing-1

The Stanton slackline looks great but is a little pricey

rj
    Free Member

I really rate my Cove Handjob. Reassuringly slack with a (max) 130mm fork. It’s great fun and everyone who’s tried it has had a total blast. OK, not that cheap, but if you look about (and are a bit flexible on the must come from a shop thing) there’s the odd bargain to be had.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

One more for the cove handjob, really quick and snappy, responsive, you feel like your actually in the bike

I’ve had three, every time I sell one I get strangly drawn to another, I just love them

rj
    Free Member

High 5, fellow Handjobber.

1-shed
    Free Member

I’ve got a Cove handj_b brilliant frame light and very good just not using it these days hence I might sell it. Best bikes owned Gary fisher Hoo Koo e Koo steel and my first proper bike Gary fisher Aquila. Did love my early FSR though but get bored of ful sus quickly. Most steel bikes now seam to be moving away from the whippyness I enjoy.

Northwind

vermillion – Member

1.Ride all day without feeling like I’m getting my ar5e kicked
    2.Use on gnarly/techy descents(lake district passes/Calderdale etc)
    3.Can build light enough to throw over my shoulder for hike-a-bike
    4.Build easily without having to find obscure parts
    5.Afford
    6.Acquire through a shop

Cotic, if it must be steel. Carbon 456, if you want to get all the advantages you want, for less money. (though you are limited in shop options)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Drawn to steel.’ is closed to new replies.