Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Drainage hole in a CF frame?
  • cookeaa

Long story short I’ve just drained lots of water from my road bike, which must have been in there a while, with winter approaching I don’t fancy having to drain my bike after every damp outing…

Would It be a terrible idea to put a small drainage hole in the bottom of the BB shell? Lots of old steel frames used to have such things…

molgrips
    Free Member

I emailed Kona about this ages ago. They said it should be ok since there’s already one drilled in there for the bb cable guides (on my bike at least)

It could be very small indeed.

cookeaa

Yeah, I drained it via the BB cable guide fixing hole earlier, but a permanent drainage hole seems like a good idea rather than having to unbolt the cable guide every few rides…

Of course the existing hole has a threaded insert bonded in…

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe drill hole and glue in a little metal tube to help integrity…

darkplunger
    Free Member

I had a frame that did this. The trick is to stop the water getting in. In my case it was through the spilt in top of seat tube to allow the seat clamp to compress. It was spray of the rear wheel. I sealed it with silicon seal. Worked a treat and was still able to adjust the seatpost.

cookeaa

he trick is to stop the water getting in.

The water is going to get in, yet another drawback to internal routing, headset isn’t very well sealed either…

Nah, I reckon it makes more sense to give moisture a direct route out at the lowest point of the frame.

Maybe drill hole and glue in a little metal tube to help integrity…

This was my thought too. Might have a dig about in the garage this weekend…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Drainage hole in a CF frame?’ is closed to new replies.