Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Drain Cleaner recommendations?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And preferably one I can buy today.

Drain from bathroom sink appears to have finally gunked completely. Before I have to rip off a load of boxing which was put in without any thought to future removal, I might as well try a pour-down-the-pipe type thing. Neighbour plumber mate recommended Mr Muscle which I can get today no probs. I’m no distance from plenty of hardware stores too though, so anything else out there like, say, HG, which folk have tried successfully?

Cheers.

allthepies
    Free Member

Never found the liquid down the sink stuff to work. The humble plunger has always delivered the goods.

z1ppy

Again, I use Mr Muscle kitchen and bathroom drain gel here, seems to clear the build up of hair and dirt I moult into the shower.
    I’d agree plunger are a good solution but haven’t got one and Mr Muscle does the job, so can’t see any point in changing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Never found the liquid down the sink stuff to work. The humble plunger has always delivered the goods.

Don’t be coming here telling me about stuff what doesn’t work. 🙂

I’ve had the trap (bottle type) off and cleaned completely, checked down to where pipe enters boxing, but can feel funk (EDIT: gunk goddamit) build-up with my fingers. 😡 So whatever I use, I’ll be pouring it in after the bottle trap.

Del

bicarb crystals. solution first with boiling water. be careful.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Caustic soda poured down the plugole. Open the widows and make sure that kids don’t go in there.
    That is all most drain cleaners are anyway.

antigee

if you’ve got the trap off a poke and a twisting action with some brake or gear outer might sort

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

antigee – Member
    if you’ve got the trap off a poke and a twisting action with some brake or gear outer might sort

Aye, I may be able to borrow one of those twisty type things, but just looking for a potentially easy solution to try today until I can get hold of something that would do it physically.

BigJohn

If the caustic soda (or a whole bottle of domestos) doesn’t work you can get a bottle of Shift-It from a plumbers merchant. 94% sulphuric acid.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

94% sulphuric acid.

*Like* 😀

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Boiling water and washing soda, which is nasty to skin and aluminium, use about a cupful of one and a kettle of the other. If that doesn’t work, caustic soda which is even nastier, used according to instructions.

You need to know that CS and boiling water will react, bubbling violently and spitting alkalai, as the CS dissolves.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Doesn’t acid eat the mortar holding your drains together?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Best to pour it into the sink, not some half-hidden pipe.

Murray

Mr Muscle works fine on hair / snot / detergent build up. Chuck it in, leave it overnight.

As a student I used medium concentration H2O2 with success but it’ll probably get you a visit from MI5 nowadays.

badllama
    Free Member

Mr Muscle for us

squirrelking
    Free Member

Do not flush sulphuric unless its with plenty water, the reaction is damn hot (we burnt out a mixing vessel at work getting the order wrong years ago). Dont bugger about trying to get things to react off your own back, not worth risking your eyesight or worse.

I found crystals to work as did the two part stuff from B&M that is sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide, the reaction should shift most plug badgers.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

One Shot is great. Open the windows and wear eye protection as acid. Will clear the drain of hair and soap etc. Be aware of the pipe getting hot and will show the location of the blockage. Be ready to run the taps to flush it out too.

nostoc
    Free Member

Caustic soda good for hair blockages and less likely to cause damage. If that fails then sulphuric acid

RobHilton
    Free Member

One Shot is great

Sure is – heed the precautions.

andyl
    Free Member

Never liked the idea of putting nasty stuff down the drain. Even if it does get neutralised eventually.

A good old fashioned plunging for me but put more empahsis on the upwards pull (hard and fast) to draw stuff up out of the plug hole if it’s not far down.

Something to seal over the overflow helps too.

Drac

Caustic Soda cheap and does the job.

timbur
    Free Member

One Shot = £10 from B&Q. Use it all in one sitting and don’t splash it :O)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*

Mr Muscle has cleared it (mrs deadly didn’t bother waiting for STW recommendations 😐 ). Which is a slightly expensive way of buying caustic soda of course.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As a student I used medium concentration H2O2

Were you a hairdressing student?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Drain Cleaner recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.