• This topic has 25 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Draggy Hope XC rebuild
  • nickc

After the traumatic bearing removal at the weekend, just rebuilt my rear XC hub and it's really draggy, to the extent I'm getting chain wind up when I stop pedaling, and can't really back pedal at all.

Now, I have put extra grease in the bearings, but that shouldn't make that much difference. Is this normal? any thoughts?

wwaswas

Spacers in the wrong way round?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have you ridden it much? It might 'bed in' a bit with the extra grease?

It's possible the new bearings aren't properly seated too, or you damaged one fitting it.

Tip-
    Don't put too much grease in an XC hub. It can make the pawls fail to engage properly, as the pawl springs aren't that strong. Just a thin coating of decent light grease is all you need, IME. 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Too much grease on freehub or grease too thick?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I've had it happen … always put it down to 'newness' and extra grease.

LoCo
    Free Member

damn beat me to it again! 😳

nickc

Just used bog standard finish line bike grease, so it shouldn't be too thick, don't think I put the spacers in the wrong way round, they're different sizes, the freehub one wouldn't fit…

damaged bearings, don't think so; used Hopes own drifts to seat them, and they look OK.

So just stiff bearings then? it'll loosen up, do you reckon?

Edit: Haven't ridden it at all yet, guess I was just expecting silky smoothness… couple of rotations of the wheel, and it all stops.

Solo
    Free Member

Did my XC rear hub last year. Don't recall it being that reluctant to spin though.

IIWY, I'd take it apart and investigate. All that was in there before disassembly must go back, as it was.
    the freehub one wouldn't fit…

This would case me concern.

Other points have already been made, ref grease, quantity and viscosity.

Good luck.

S.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So just stiff bearings then? it'll loosen up, do you reckon?

Yes, I'd say so given your description of what you've done. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nickc -maybe a daft question but are the bearings fully seated? The two spacers are only slightly different in size so can get mixed up. New bearings will be a bit draggy as the seals are tight but should loosen up very quickly. sounds like its more than that tho

How did you get the collapsed bearing out in the end?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Now, I have put extra grease in the bearings, but that shouldn't make that much difference. Is this normal? any thoughts?

Have you damaged the seals causing the drag?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I had the same problem when I rebuilt a Hope XC hub.
    The first two times I rebuilt the hub I used Hope bearings and had no problems, the 3rd time I used some cheaper bearings and I had the same symptoms as you. I stripped it back down to check if I had got the spacers wrong or the bearings miss aligned, but everything seemed OK. I replaced the bearings again as the seals got damaged when I removed them, reassembled the hub, and the same problem remains. I was going to try some genuine hope bearings, but its a spare wheelset, and don't need the expense.
    I replaced the front Hope bearings with the same cheaper bearings and it was fine.

Doug

nickc

I give up. It's properly f**ked. It's operating as a fixie more or less Everything's in the right place, all the spacers, all the bearings, the replacement bearings are Hope, used Hope drifts, followed the instructions. Don't understand at all. The extra grease is just a smear to lengthen the lifespan a bit (they had none in at all)

what a pile of w**k

wwaswas

my experience was this happened when I fitted the spacers the wrong way round in the freewheel and hub (they are a similar size).

Span fine until I fitted it to the bike and did the qr up when it just siezed solid under the clamp forces.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

whereabouts are you based Nick? Another set of eyes on it might spot something you have missed. so perhaps a kind stwer could cast an eye over it.

Most likely causes from the little I know are
    1) spacers in the wrong order
    2) bearings not fully seated
    3)seals damaged and trapped
    4) spindle bent
    Dunno

cp

i damaged the end cap (the bit at each end of the axle which clamp the hub to the frame, and form a shield over the bearing). Id bent it in the vice, so when installed on the axle, the outer edge of the cap was fouling the outer race of the bearing, effectively connecting the inner and outer races hence causing huge drag, similar to how you describe.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

sounds like too much grease around the pawls. happened on my pro 2's, i just stripped some grease out and it sorted the problem

nickc

WTF! just stripped it (again) and rebuilt it, and guess what? It's fine…The only thing I can think of is one of the bearings wasn't seated right.

Top tip in the style of PP: How did I know that spacers were in the right place? answer because using a sharpie I'd written on them 16 and 14…

I think I'll stick with Shimano in future, I don't need this level of hassle in my life…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Top tip in the style of PP: How did I know that spacers were in the right place? answer because using a sharpie I'd written on them 16 and 14…

I shall remember that one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nick – how did you get the collapsed bearing out in the end? Useful for us to know for future reference

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think I'll stick with Shimano in future, I don't need this level of hassle in my life…

Don't say that mate, they come down on you like a ton of bricks round 'ere if you suggest Shimano can be beter than Hope! 😀

Glad you got it sorted though. I love the old XC hubs personally. 🙂

nickc

I live about a stone's throw from Silverstone, a few mates are in the sports car building trade. I gave it to one of them and he pressed it out with a blind puller.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheers nick. I had hoped you had found a home bodgers method. Oh well.

nickc

Thanks for all the help guys

Olly
    Free Member

i had the same problem, the bearing wasnt seated quite enough, so it was tight against a spacer.

strip it down, and give each bearing a good bash to make sure its properly seated in the race.

that loosened mine right up 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Glad you're sorted, even if I can't spell. (case should have read cause)

Don't give up on cartridge bearings just yet. Just think, next time it'll be a breeze.

I love the old XC hubs personally. – Me too

And I'm happy I can get spares still, even after all these years.

Sorted ! 😀

S.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Draggy Hope XC rebuild’ is closed to new replies.