Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dragging Hope 2 rear wheel?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Bought a new set of Hope Pro 2 Evo’s on 721’s last year. The rear wheel doesn’t seem to spin very freely, especially compared to my other bikes rear wheels. If I give it a good hard spin with the bike in a stand, it rotates about 2-3 times and then stops (not a sudden stop though).

Is this a right? Or should these spin a bit more freely?

neninja
    Free Member

It should spin a lot more freely than that.

Could be knackered bearings – I’m just replacing mine after 10 months.
    A dragging disc – check it’s not contacting the pads round it’s entire rotation.
    Could be too much grease behind the non-drive side seal causing drag.
    etc

I’d be inclined to take the end caps and freehub off and have a look.

terrahawk
    Free Member

there’s a seal between the freehub and the hub body (take the cassette off to find it). It can sometimes pop out of it’s little groove and make contact with the cassette, causing drag.

push it back in with a screwdriver. It needs to be flush with the hub flange (fnarrr)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Not rubbing on pads? Does it run freely out of the bike?

If not I’d check the bearings as neninja says but with that time span could do with a service? :

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/hope-pro-ii-rear-hub-service.htm

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Sounds like bearings are gawn dude.. From my experience, it’ll probably be the outer freehub bearing that’s knackered from your description – i.e. no bearing play in the wheel, but dragging. Mine was doing that exact thing and I couldn’t actually move the outer freehub bearing by hand when I reached it 😯

prezet
    Free Member

Bearings gone? Seriously? It’s not been ridden ‘that’ much since I’ve had them.

iainc

+1 for freehub bearing. Jetwash ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Jet washes KILL bearings IMHO! and the more dirty rides you do in grinding mud the shorter the duration!

prezet
    Free Member

Nope, only wash by hand…

prezet
    Free Member

I’ll take the brake caliper off this weekend, and check it’s not that dragging on the disc first before I start to take the hub apart.

foxyrider
    Free Member

How often have you ridden on them – I think a years hard riding would be easily enough to wreck the freehub body bearings?

prezet
    Free Member

Sorry, got that wrong, bought them this year – about 6 months ago. Have ridden Afan on them, and some local riding around Thetford, bit of Chicksands etc. But nowt too much.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Would seem a bit premature – I’d still give them a service and check bearings and depending on what you find email Hope – I expect they happily sort you out!!

prezet
    Free Member

Turns out it was dragging on the pads… spins nicely now 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dragging Hope 2 rear wheel?’ is closed to new replies.