• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by SiB.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Drafts around edge of solid wood floor – What to plug them with.
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have recently laid a solid wood floor ontop of standard floor boards. The skirting board is not yet fitted but we get incredible draughts coming through the gap left around the edge of the wood floor (left for expansion). I realise the skirting board will help but I think it would be wise to try and plug the gaps.

Any suggestions on what to put in the gap that will not stop the solid wood floor from expanding. Current thinking is to use thin strips cut from some sort of underlay board stuck in place with mastic type material.

iDave
    Free Member

cork strips?

wwaswas

I put quadrant on the skirting board – if you only attach it to the skirting the wooden floor can still ‘float’ but it removes the gap.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just slap some flexible sealant in there. Isn’t there some coloured stuff especially for this? (Sorry if I’m talking crap)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Expanding foam’s good. Cork also but a bit of a faff.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Wouldnt go bunging up the expansion gap with anything tbh – just fit the skirtings.

You can purchase rolls of foam strip in various colours thicknesses and widths if there’s a tolerance between sections of the underside of the skirting and the FFL. Uneven shadow gaps look naff but so will a quadrant if it’s following an uneven floor surface.

Macavity
    Free Member

Drafts- you cant beat them.
    Good circulation of fresh air; stops build-up of stale air, dampness, radon etc.

SiB
    Free Member

cork strips

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Drafts around edge of solid wood floor – What to plug them with.’ is closed to new replies.