Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Draft proofing windows
  • woody74

Now that Autumn seems to have hit us, I am once again thinking of draft proofing our sash windows. We face north and have large bay sash windows that the wind whistles through. We have tried the heat shrink film which works well but has pulled all the paint off the frames.

Has anyone got any other suggestions for something a bit more permanent? Don’t mind spending a few £100’s on this. Don’t really need double glazing as really just keeping the drafts out really would help.

Rockape63
    Free Member

The only obvious way to stop the draughts in sash windows, is to obviously remove the gaps that the wind gets through. You can buy insulation on a sticky backed roll and run that down the edges, which would do the job as good as any.

It would probably make them difficult to open though.

Having said that, whilst draughty windows are not very comfortable to live with, they are good for your house and also your health. (No condensation & fresh air)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woody74

I have tried to use seals in the past but they just don’t work as some gaps are 1 to 2 mm and others are 5mm wide. I really want some kind of secondary glazing as the problem also with seals is you really need to take the windows apart and router grooves to hold the seals. Well this is the best way. Our windows are old and very knacked. In all honesty they need replacing or having major overhaul but that will cost £1000’s and we want to move in a couple of years so not really worth it.

alibongo001

Hi OP

I have had some of my windows refurbed professionally with a similar process to the rediseals link above.

The main feature is that the windows run on some draft proofing pile (like the stuff that insulates modern double glazed windows) rather than a wood to wood interface which is bound to wear and leave gaps.

They rattle less and have less obvious draught through them which is good.

However thinking that it is a long term solution is probably not right as some of my frames have rotted under the new paint and I think I am going to have to replace them all with modern UPVC sash units soon.

I would have thought that doing it yourself would be difficult, but if you have the skills patience and time, very rewarding.

Hopt this helps

Al.

However it cost me a lot (front elevation only around 2k for 4 rooms with large windows, a few years ago)

patriotpro
    Free Member

Drafty windows exascerbate condensation problems ime.

I’d recommend bristle strips (sticky-back) rather than rubber as the opening and closing action of the sash windows will open much easier with bristles as opposed to the rubber version.

The rubber version does work, just not recommended for sash type windows.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Draft proofing windows’ is closed to new replies.