Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Drac, Cougar – you have my sympathy
  • Northwind

I was a bikeradar mod. By the end, my entire job was fielding angry PMs from people who’d had things randomly moderated with no explanation or notification, especially in the classifieds. I hardly moderated a post myself, barely saw the need but it was an avalanche of “why is my for sale ad gone” “no idea tbh, the head moderator is a lunatic”. Shite basically.

Modded sv650.org for years and literally modded about 1 spam post a month and kept an occasional RIP thread smooth. Best mod evar.

Incidentally,

“Our agenda troll (presumably male) apparently hadn’t seen the film and hadn’t paid attention to its success because he didn’t care about it. He didn’t know anyone else who had seen it either, so he assumed that nobody saw it. He took his perspective and used it to fill in the bits of the world he didn’t know, like a sloppy kid with a colouring book and a limited tin of crayons.”

JAMBADESCRIPTION!

Pigface
    Free Member

Agenda Trolls we certainly have some of those 😆

I think the mods do an ok job, my only gripe is that King Bully is still here and TJ isn’t.

Elf was great but to be honest the drama got a bit draining.

Cougar

he end, my entire job was fielding angry PMs from people who’d had things randomly moderated with no explanation or notification, especially in the classifieds.

The mistake you were making there is engaging them in the first place. (-:

Good read, that. Thanks for sharing.

rocketman
    Free Member

I was a bikeradar mod

I used to enjoy moderating the ‘how much is it worth’ posts

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

“Our agenda troll (presumably male) apparently hadn’t seen the film and hadn’t paid attention to its success because he didn’t care about it. He didn’t know anyone else who had seen it either, so he assumed that nobody saw it. He took his perspective and used it to fill in the bits of the world he didn’t know, like a sloppy kid with a colouring book and a limited tin of crayons.”

That bit did make me chuckle. Then reminded me of various political threads on Facebook.

Drac

Most of the time it runs Ok on here, we have some usual suspects but overall most people behave. There’s also those who return and think we don’t realise it but as they’re behaviour has changed its had the desired effect anyway.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I was a bikeradar mod. By the end, my entire job was fielding angry PMs from people who’d had things randomly moderated with no explanation or notification, especially in the classifieds. I hardly moderated a post myself, barely saw the need but it was an avalanche of “why is my for sale ad gone” “no idea tbh, the head moderator is a lunatic”. Shite basically.

You’ve just reminded me that I was asked – along with WYSIWYG of this parish – to be a mod on MBUK.com by Tym Manley, back in the dim and distance past. The fact I was on there as a troll in the first place didn’t say a lot for the rest of the forum dwellers.

There’s also those who return and think we don’t realise it but as they’re behaviour has changed its had the desired effect anyway.

I would call that a result. 🙂

I seem to recall reading about a forum monitoring trolling before and after using FB profiles as sign-ins. The drop in abuse was something like 3/4, presumably due to the lack of anonymity. I’ll see if I can dig the article out.

SaxonRider

King Bully

I’m in the dark, here. But as I suppose it would be too inflammatory to name names, I am guessing I will never know.

EDIT: While we’re at it, thanks Mods. You run a good show. 8)

wwaswas

along with WYSIWYG of this parish

I did like it when someone guessed his password on mbuk and started randomly amending other people’s posts.

If they’d been a bit more subtle they’d have been able to get away with it for a lot longer.

pondo

I modded an MX forum on AdrenalinTrip, which was a reet pain. Mind you, I think that was mostly down to me not being very good at it. Sadly, it got sold and the new owners flushed it down the pan which was a shame as it had some really good non-MX forums on there.

While we’re at it, thanks Mods. You run a good show

+1 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

jambalaya
    Free Member

At least the Guardian moderator get’s paid.

While we’re at it, thanks Mods. You run a good show

+1 from me too

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

EDIT: While we’re at it, thanks Mods. You run a good show.

+ another

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I did like it when someone guessed his password on mbuk and started randomly amending other people’s posts.

😆

kudos100
    Free Member

Agenda troll, I like that.

I think the mods do a pretty good job here and I take my hat off to anyone who chooses to do this. It seems like you need to have the patience of a saint to be a moderator.

In terms of jobs, it is up there with fluffer and cleaner of festival toilets, for things I would rather not do.

Cougar

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Mark, generally.

Rockape63
    Free Member

EDIT: While we’re at it, thanks Mods. You run a good show.
    + another

Creeparses! 😉

scaredypants

I thought paging threads weren’t allowed on here – week’s ban should probably suffice, IMO

twonks

Not many people know me on here, and although cycling is my main passion in life I do tend to spend a lot of time on another forum where I’m part of the moderating team.

Not exactly an easy job all the time, but quite a rewarding one when one helps either a post/thread or fellow user with t’ mod powers – even if most of the work is unseen.

+1 for the big ups 😀

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

He was a right pain in the arse, would never admit when he was wrong & a total ego maniac, right up there with smurf Matt for being a total tit, now someone said that it was alright to rejoin as a new member after being banned, strokes chin I wonder who Fred is now? 😕

duckman

He has had a few other names,but outs himself in the end…And gets banned again; Has he still got the Facebook page?

BoardinBob

I wonder who Fred is now?

It’s not that difficult to work out…

BoardinBob

pondo – Member
    I modded an MX forum on AdrenalinTrip, which was a reet pain

Them were the days. “Rejects” was always entertaining. I miss the old AdTrip stuff.

scotroutes

At least TJ has the strength of character not to make a sneaky return.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

At least TJ has the strength of character pigheadedness not to make a sneaky return.

FTFY 😉

Cougar

It’s not that difficult to work out…

I’m confident that the popular choice is incorrect. Open to other suggestions though.

CountZero

Agenda Trolls we certainly have some of those

I think the mods do an ok job, my only gripe is that King Bully is still here and TJ isn’t.

Again, +1 for the mods, no idea who King Bully is, really.

He has had a few other names,but outs himself in the end…And gets banned again; Has he still got the Facebook page?

Yes, and he can be a bit draining there, as well… 😆

garage-dweller

Despite a tetchy exchange with one of the mods lately (not on a moderation issue) I would agree they do a really good job on here. Not much over enthusiastic intervention and act when it’s genuinely needed. 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ah the tears when you reset someone’s post count to zero…

Did I also mention I was forum rider of the year…

I miss Tym ringing me up at 10am randomly asking stuff and who was such n such..

It had its perks, totally covering Hannah from extraUKs car in MBUK reject stickers being a highlight.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ah the tears when you reset someone’s post count to zero…

😆

I missed all this as Tym asked just as I was jacking in my job to ride bikes in Spain for a living. Still, I think I made the right choice.

nickc

I don’t think Fred’s on the site, he’d be too easy to spot.

Cougar

If he is, he’s behaving himself sufficiently to fly under the radar so far.

I think / hope he finally got the message when we spam-killed his last account, deleting everything he’d posted over the last few months.

mogrim

Now I’m wondering who King Bully is, too. 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

I was under the impression Fred was a special case with a proper ban, after going well beyond the pale with one of the ST owners?

I’ve been doing some moderation and community management work myself in recent months and I’ve observed the same kind of terminally argumentative and abusive personalities cropping up.

STW is a relative haven of sanity IMO, partly thanks to the mods’ hard work of course.

Anyway, I’m just going to leave this here…

chakaping
    Free Member

Now I’m wondering who King Bully is, too.

Assume they mean cynic al, he was the Joker to TJ’s Batman IIRC.

kcal

🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Not really the worse job is it. Depressing at times maybe, sometimes impressed at the amount of effort/logic expanded for people to keep their viewpoint which no-one else could even relate to. Use to like circling around the comment the troll was waiting for to be able to unleash their “hell” on you.

Used (still should I guess, but it’s dead) to mod a MMORG which had 2 variants. 1 that reset every month with a code change to keep things interesting and 1 that never reset.

The non changing one had a low level of abuse and cheating, 1 player in a 1000 that would mouth off in chat or stuff would happen that I had to hunt for (finding cheats in game for infinite cash/stats/equipment).

The resetting one was full of absolute tools who had drawn up lines of battle and nothing was sacred. Basically had to shut down ingame chat and mail during the game month.

Could have been stopped quicker and easier but the owner didn’t give a hoot what was happening so long as the servers were paid for.

pondo

Them were the days. “Rejects” was always entertaining. I miss the old AdTrip stuf

Me too, The Bar and the utterly random Pure Adrenalin were ace, Rejects was sound, even the MX forum had its moments. Great people on there amongst the odd eedjit but PA just OWNED, awesome forum.

scotroutes

Assume they mean cynic al, he was the Joker to TJ’s Batman IIRC.[/quote]I had someone else in mind.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Drac, Cougar – you have my sympathy’ is closed to new replies.