Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Dr Marten boots – how to stop the pain?
  • muckytee
    Free Member

I’ve had my made in engalnd Dr Marten 1460 boots for about three months, I wear them everyday (at work also, where I’m on my feet all day) and polish them often (a proper polish with kiwi stuff).

I get blisters on my big toe and heel and generally they cause me a good deal of pain.

Any suggestions on what I could do to soften them up, or any recommendations on any other shoe/boot that I could buy that is designed to be worn a lot – as I’ve had Vans and Converse before; both were even more uncomfortable and fell apart after a few months/music gigs.

Cheers

KonaTC

Sounds like they are on the small side length wise?

Had several pairs over the years and they have been faultless

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buy some decent footwear instead. Hth

muckytee
    Free Member

Care to follow that up with some suggestions CFH 😉

tazzymtb

wee in them, leave over night…job done…remember to empty them before sticking your feet in em!

old WWII trick to soften army boots very quickly

project
    Free Member

Obviously theyre to small, try taking them to a shoe repairers and get them stretched with a wooden foot mould.

mrmoofo

Never had a problem with mine …

maccruiskeen

Any suggestions on what I could do to soften them up

Maybe polish them less, allow the leather to age a bit. But…. after 3 months I think the reality is they don’t fit you. Its been 20 years since I had a pair of old school DMs and my experience was they crucified you in the first few days or wear and the leather creases on the back of your ankle – then once that crease softens… they should be blisfully comfy.

or any recommendations on any other shoe/boot that I could buy that is designed to be worn a lot

Blundstone (classics) and Catepillar have been the most long-lived in my experience.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have very odd shaped feet with horrible hammered toes and very high arches due to having CharcoMarieTooth Syndrome.
    The only boots I’ve ever found to be comfy from the off are caterpillar boots.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Rub Vaseline on the inside.

scaredypants

wee in them, leave over night…job done…remember to empty them before sticking your feet in em!
    old WWII trick to soften army boots very quickly

All this time, I thought weeing in shoes was a punishment – it’s to cheer people up, is it ?

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve had Vans and Converse before

Your feet are not used to ‘proper’ footwear – plus it sounds as if you bought the wrong size.
    What socks are you wearing with them? I have always been a fan of loop stitch socks, especially with boots of any sort.

ahwiles
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    or any recommendations on any other shoe/boot that I could buy that is designed to be worn a lot

maybe something with a smaller heel?

frank wright steins:

(my feet love these)

muckytee
    Free Member

Your feet are not used to ‘proper’ footwear

I’ve worn DMs since September 2012 and I’ve a pair of steel toe cap boots that are fine.

As for their size, I have them laced up tight as they are slighly on the large side if anything…

There is a fold on the toebox that digs into my toe and causes pain, I had another pair before (Vietnamese made ones) same size and they were fine 😐

colournoise

Blundstone +1

Super comfy from the off and last forever.

PePPeR

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=170929192018

I use German army boots, far better designed than DM’s I’m afraid.

Some like the link above.

Go to an army surplus and buy from them as you can try them on direct.

Best boots I’ve ever worn.

Ambrose

I too use DM as my work footware. The breaking in lasts about a fortnight. Allowing the leather to become more supple and forgiving against my Achilles tendons id the issue here. Once they are srted they are almost like slippers though. I get through a pair a year, worn daily to work. On my feet all day.

TBH, despite the annual pain-fest, I wouldn’t change them.

CountZero

There is a fold on the toebox that digs into my toe and causes pain, I had another pair before (Vietnamese made ones) same size and they were fine

I’ve had that with some shoes and boots, so I just fold up a sheet of kitchen paper towel into a pad and slip it into my sock(s), and wear them for a week or two; eventually they bed in and the discomfort goes away. Never had a problem with Vans, though, wearing a pair of Churchill’s at the moment, and they’re like slippers straight from the box. Almost indecently comfy! 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Dissolve some paracetamol in water then pour it into your mouth and swallow

aphex_2k
    Free Member

1991 called. They want their shoes back.

For boots, I’ve worn Hi-Tec Magnum of various kinds over the years. Comfy out of the box. Worn for 12 hour shifts, days, nights, winter, summer. Superb boots IMHO. Well priced too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shoe/Boot suggestions for longevity are good, for fit and comfort completely pointless.

You want some shoes that fit end of, had no bits to rub etc. go and try stuff on.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

1991 called. They want their shoes back

91? I was wearing DMs in 79-83

With Clash Jeans a bum flap and Destroy T shirt oh and purple hair
    Some of you will know what I’m on about

bruneep

91? I was wearing DMs in 79-83

With Clash Jeans a bum flap and Destroy T shirt oh and purple hair

Aye, happy days indeed the purple hair could be a problem for me now tho

maccruiskeen

Indeed,ah the 70s, my baby grow had a bum flap too. I have vague memories of safety pins as well. Spitting, dribble, vomit, bouncing up and down, gripe water. It was a golden age.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Have you bought the right size? The made in England and for life shoes are made on the large side.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Water blisters are more commonly caused by shoes that are too big than too small. I get them loads because I have narrow feet (particularly narrow heels), but most shoes only come in standard or wider fittings.

unovolo
    Free Member

Comfiest shoes(?) I own and have some decent shoes from Barkers and Loake too.
    The weeing suggestion is not bad remember urine is part of the tanning process for leather,would definetly need a good rinse afterwards and left to dry naturally.

asbrooks

I remember back in late 70’s and early 80’s when everyone wore them, there was this idea of leaving them submerged in the local brook for a couple of days to let the leather supple up a little. I have no idea whether it works or not. I’ve never had problems with them myself. I would love a pair of safety DMs, the shoes I get supplied with take months to break in and then fall apart.
    Unovolo- Are those available as safety shoes? 🙂

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing almost nothing but DM’s for 30 years.

Never had an issue, but the last few pairs have required a week or two of braking in, the leather seems tougher, I think it coincides with the move to Thailand or wherever. I have found however the inner linings are not as good as they were. Operating 2 pairs of standard mens shoes, and obth the inner sole has come adrift and slipped around withing a few months, under the conditions of a long warm walk.

I would suggest go to the DM shop in Covent Garden, try the standard shoes, then try the UK made for life ones, and see which fits best. Its a great little shop.

muckytee
    Free Member

I would suggest go to the DM shop in Covent Garden, try the standard shoes, then try the UK made for life ones, and see which fits best. Its a great little shop.

That’s what I’ve got the Made in England ones, they fit me better than the Thailand ones – which are too wide. The leather is really thick on the Made in England’s and I think that’s the problem.

Joe

What do you do for a living. I’d probably be sacked if i turned up in a pair of boots which look like they should be on a punk rocker/15 year old grunger kid.

muckytee
    Free Member

Work in a cafe

Joe

Builder’s cafe?

muckytee
    Free Member

Nope a nice one in a park and I’ve not had anyone say anything about skinheads yet.

I wear them outside of work too, they are my only pair of shoes bar my AM41s.

thomthumb
    Free Member

shortcut to softening the leather/ making creases is to fill them with boiling water.

empty them (make sure you squeeze the soles) then walk about in them whilst warm.

This will put the creases in the leather in half an hour rather than a week or two…

shifter
    Free Member

+1 Caterpillar.
    Steel toed Holtons at work for the last 15+ years.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Dr Marten boots – how to stop the pain?’ is closed to new replies.