Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dr in the house? Toes feel painfully cold even though they are warm
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I bust my ankle quite badly on the 29th and had it put back together during a 3.5 hour operation. All seems well and there is little pain in the ankle. There are photos on other threads or I can post again here it if helps.

My toes can wiggle and are warm to the touch but feel cold. This has been the case pretty much since I came off the morphine and strong pain killers.

I thought my toes were genuinely cold as i had been keeping my foot elevated until I asked MrsWCA to put a sock on it to keep the toes warm. She felt my toes and said they were warm and when I felt them with my hand I discovered she was right and they did feel warm, warmer than normal in fact.

Now I am in the situation where my toes are painfully cold but warming them doesn’t solve the problem. I don’t see the consultant until next Monday.

Should I wander over to the hospital/GP and get it checked out before then?

Toes move, are a good colour and I can wiggle them up and down. they just hurt.

Advice please.

Jamie
    Free Member

Should I wander over to the hospital/GP and get it checked out before then?

Given what happened to you, then yes. Chances are, the foot is about to drop off.

crikey
    Free Member

If I was at work, and looking after someone who had a similar problem, I would check for movement, warmth, sensation and more generally ‘How do your toes feel?’

Movement = motor nerves are working.
    Warmth = perfusion and therefore blood supply.
    Sensation = normal sensation would mean that your sensory nerves are working ok.

The ‘feeling?’ bit is a bit more of a black art, and is aimed at exactly the king of thing you are talking about….

You’ve got a plaster cast on?
    Is it tight?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The consultant reckoned he had saved the foot. Seems strange that all of the signs are fine.

Squeeze it and the blood rushes back just fine
    Toes move with minimal ankle pain
    Toes are warm – slightly too warm possibly
    No signs of bruising or discoloration.
    No nasty smell of rotting flesh.
    No other pain.

Okay, I guess it is best check out. Over the hospital to A&E, somewhere else in the hospital or the useless twunt who is my GP?

crikey
    Free Member

I’d ring the hospital, and ask to speak to the Orthopaedic reg on call; you might have to wait for a bit, then explain that you are a patient of Mr Bonesetter, and you have a concern, and does he think you should pop in to see him?

Drac

Crikey covers it really. I’d say it’s just everything recovering you made a fine job of it.

franksinatra

Mrs sinatra who is a GP said shouldn’t be a big deal but you should call the ward and get advice from them.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cheers Crikey – Back slab only at the moment so not too tight. I think it is just normal recovery but it still hurts when the drugs wear off.

on a seperate note – The thrill of 40 days of self injections with Enoxaparin Sodium is really wearing thin.

Muke
    Free Member

Stop drinking cold beer. 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Reads like nerve impingement, bruising or damage to me. It may or may not come back to normal, or you may or may not get used to how it now feels.

HTH!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Muke – cold beer chills my stomach and helps build up a fatty layer to reduce bruising fromt he injections and maintain the fatty layer I have to enject them into. It is a medical necessity, not just a cold beer 😉

Nerve impingement doesn’t sound fun if it doesn’t get better 🙁

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The thrill of 40 days of self injections with Enoxaparin Sodium is really wearing thin.

Spare a thought for us diabetics, I reckon I do at least 1,750 self injections a year – you get used to it!

Anyway, did you get hold of someone and are your toes still attached?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I have something similar, cold feeling, numb wooden feet. I’ve had that sensation sine I was ill two years ago. It’s a sensation thing only, my feet are warm if I touch them. It’s annoying at first, but you get used to it.

Mine is due to nerve damage caused by Guillain Barre syndrome.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dr in the house? Toes feel painfully cold even though they are warm’ is closed to new replies.