Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Downtube shifter clamp – geek alert
  • PJ266
    Free Member

I would like to mount downtube shifters on a frame (31.8mm downtube) with no shifter bosses.

Now I have found this version which is widely available:

However its bulkiness offends my sensibilities. I have found the perfect, sleek item however its only available from the states and is annoyingly expensive.

ebay link

My question is, does anyone know of a UK supplier for something similar to the above? Or am I going to have to stop being so precious.

Cheers!

andyl
    Free Member

the bottom one is a Mikalor style clamp (used for exhausts, turbo intakes etc) with some stand-offs welded to it.

Also looks ugly to me.

scruff9252

alternatively, a frame builder could braze a set on for you easy enough (probabaly)

bencooper
    Free Member

There is also the Nova one – but you do need to drill a hole in your bike…

Speeder

Why would you want to do this? – things have moved on for the better. . . . . .

cynic-al
    Free Member

Some older shimano levers came on a clamp, try ebay.

Is this some Eroica project? If so, have a word.

PJ266
    Free Member

Haha, not Eroica, just a bike 😀

Thanks all, band on shifters are generally a smaller diameter clamp than what I require, sadly. Though I will keep an eye on eBay.

Have thought about having some bosses brazed on, and at 30 quid (by your good self Bencooper) its tempting. If only I were closer to you.

Edric64
    Free Member

Brazed on bosses may be cheap enough ,it`s the respray that costs

sheck

I have the opposite challenge… Am SS ing a frame, and need an elegant solution for the now ugly redundant bosses,,,, any suggestions?

Sorry for hijack

drofluf
    Free Member

I have the opposite challenge… Am SS ing a frame, and need an elegant solution for the now ugly redundant bosses,,,, any suggestions?

Swap frames with PJ266?

PJ266
    Free Member

If it happens to be the equivalent of a Singular Peregrine it could work…

I think Im just going to use a bar end shifter. Boring.

oldnpastit

I hated downtube shifters. Anytime you want to change gear, you have to ride along – albeit briefly – with one hand in a completely stupid place. Not great if you then hit a pothole or have to swerve to avoid a car.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Downtube shifter clamp – geek alert’ is closed to new replies.