Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Downtube mudguards – compatibility with gear cables
  • benp1

I want to get a downtube guard for my El Mariachi. The main two options from what I can see are the Crudguard or Gut Fender

The challenge is that my gear cables will run down there (it’s singlespeed right now, but I’ll be sticking gears on for bikepacking). How well do the downtube guards fit with the cables running down the underside of the downtube?

In actual fact I want a good front mudguard, it’s running a rigid Fargo fork. I’m planning to use a fender bender type guard (currently using duct tape) and a downtube guard, any better ideas please say!

pickle
    Free Member

Just get a muckynuts thing and leave your downtube free

jimw
    Free Member

I use a Cycraguard one that comes with small rubber spacers to keep the guard off the down tube far enough to allow cables to pass. I have used it on all my bikes over the past few years without any trouble, from skinny steel (Solaris) to chunky Aluminium (Canyon Nerve Al). The latter has brake hose running down the side and this doesn’t get in the way.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/mudguards/mountain-mudguards/product/review-cycraguard-front-mudguard-29574/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

the gut fender from Muckynutz is IMO better than a Crudcatcher, as same shape and principle, but clear of cables, weighs nowt and easy on and off with velcro. Very effective, esp when combined with a fork mounted benderfender.

STATO
    Free Member

On my El-Mar i run a standard crud guard on the downtube and a mudhugger on the fork. My El-Mar is SS specific so no bare cables (tho alfine cable is there at moment), but its never been a problem in the past on other bikes, crud guards have a rubber gripper in middle which usually leaves enough space for cable, if not then space out with a bit of rubber and fasten on with zip-ties for security.

The mudhugger is great for keeping the crap out your face by itself but the combo helps keep mud off legs more too. To fit a rigid fork i had to drill some more holes in the hugger to get another tie around the fork leg as no brace to attach to.

benp1

So far one recommendation each then!

I already have the rear sorted. Zefal RM29 mudguard is on the back, as well as on the back of the Solaris

Very effective, very solid, and prettier than the mudhugger (cheaper too)

Northwind

Cycraguard does what you want, but, I’d say forget about downtube fenders entirely and just fire on a shockboard or shockblade crown mount or similiar (assuming the fork has an open bottom on its steerer). The mounting hardware is poor and really needs a cable tie or two to keep it solid for rough use (ie, I had one on my downhill bike- rough use) but they’re absolutely fantastic otherwise.

(other manufacturers are available)

Little mudguards, bender fenders and the like, are fine for what they are, I leave mine on all year for puddle splashing and summer mud but for winter they’re out of their depth. Downtube guards are basically all crap tbh, they’re very little use without some sort of fork mounted guard so why not go all in, I reckon.

benp1

Thanks Northwind. I’d rather have a proper mudguard on there but hadn’t found one that works well with rigid forks. The shock blade looks pretty good, I’ve stuck one on my xmas list!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Recently got a flinger down tube guard to replace a crud on my inbred. Clips go around tube and space for cables underneath. Has been flawless

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Downtube mudguards – compatibility with gear cables’ is closed to new replies.