Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Downs Link (Guilford to Shoreham-by-Sea)
  • James1822
    Free Member

Anyone ridden this? Looking for somewhere to take the SS CX bike. Just wondering if it’s flat, tarmac and boring – or if there’s any of the kind of smooth off-road surface suitable for a SS cx bike.

glenp
    Free Member

It’s ok. The surface isn’t nearly as good as some Sustrans routes though. Can be very muddy in parts. Frozen would be good, but snow would be a drag (literally). There are a couple of road diversions and one little bit through some woods. I wouldn’t call it exciting, but you can get to the sea off-road.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a nice mindless pootle, it’s hard work at the moment in the snow, I did from Rudgwick to just north of Cranleigh earlier. In nice weather it’s full of dog walkers and families. There’s one short sharp hill between Cranleigh and Rudgwick, and a couple of little climbs, but otherwise it’s basically flat and fast.

As Glen said, the surface is variable, it’s a lot more all weather than it used to be, but certainly not tarmac.

shedfull
    Free Member

It’s a good surface from Guildford to Cranleigh then deteriorates a bit to muddier stuff from then on. As you get towards the south downs, there are a few flinty bits that can puncture you. There’s one hill around the Rudgwick area where the train ran through a tunnel but you go over the top.

Digger90
    Free Member

Will be perfect for SS CX bike.

I’ve ridden the entire distance on both my CX and Road bikes.

Good fun.

JRTG
    Free Member

Yep it’s perfect for a SS CX, my ss felt breed went up and down it from Shoreham a few times. Enjoy! (it’s rather dull in places however…)

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I’ve done it a couple of times now, and I would have to say it is mind numbingly boring.

It IS good if you do a load of good trails in Surrey Hills, then do the long haul to Brighton to finish for beers by the sea, but the Downs link itself is a horrible dull monotonous rubbish ride.

Z.

James1822
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses. Seems opinions are mixed. Had a feeling it might be a bit monotonous. Would rather get into some twisty woodland areas if possible so might give this a miss.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Downs Link (Guilford to Shoreham-by-Sea)’ is closed to new replies.