Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Downloading a small bit of OS map
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

I need an electronic bit of an OS map, 1:25,000 ideally. Only needs to be about 1k square. I then want to stick it in an art program and “draw” on it before sending it to the FC as well as retaining it. . As a Luddite/technophobe/numpty I don’t know where to start.
    Any clues?

molgrips
    Free Member

bing.com/maps

Select OS maps from the drop-down

Find location

Screen grab using Windows snip tool

Open in MS Paint

Draw on it.

Save.

Job done.

theotherjonv

can’t comment on copyright issue for what you want to do, but streetmap zooms in through OS scales, which you could screen grab into a program you can then paint on?

In the old days i used to locate trail features for friends by drawing big arrows on with MS paintbrush, then i realised you could add your own arrow

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=508615&y=145022&z=120&sv=peaslake&st=3&tl=Map+of+Peaslake,+Surrey+%5BTown%5D&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

molgrips
    Free Member

Note that there’s a bit of a delay between selecting OS maps and them appearing in bing maps; also that you need to be zoomed in enough otherwise you only get the normal road map.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“Screen grab using Windows snip tool”
    I said numpty! WTF does this mean?
    Ta though
    Looking at Bing is within my skill levels. I did but couldn’t work out what to do thus my post.

ahsat

“Screen grab using Windows snip tool”

Press PrtScn on your keyboard and them Ctrl+V into powerpoint or something you feel comfortable using.

molgrips
    Free Member

Start menu -> Accessories -> snipping tool

Tip – if you type what we say into google, you get lots of info that we don’t need to be typing out!

cp

Programs->accessories->snipping tool

Highlight the bit you want to copy, then just ctrl-v or edit->paste into whatever you’re doing the drawing bit with.

johnnystorm

Start menu, All programs, accessories, windows snipping tool.

Screen goes greyed out, drag a box around what you want. Right click n’ paste into word/powerpoint, etc

Snipping tool allows you to draw on the image before pasting it in as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qcFOoNR9vI or look at another video if you have win10, etc

🙂

mattyfez

What version of windows do you have?

And easier way might be to get the map you want on screen, then press ctrl+Printscreen keys.

Then open paint and press ctrl+V

Then you can do what you want in paint and save it or print it.

Snip tool is better though, it’s an app in Windows that you should be able to find by typing snip into the task bar or start menu search box.

Open it, the screen will go a bit grey, and you can use your mouse to select the area of the screen you want to copy.

Then save it, and open it in paint if you want to draw on it etc.

maccruiskeen

Start menu -> Accessories -> snipping tool

Tip

I’ve you’re using a laptop you might inadvertently get circumcised.

rene59
    Free Member

If you struggle with that part the rest of the task will probably be too much for you.

BFITH
    Free Member

I’ve got the whole country in TIF format (1:50000 though).
    Happy to send you the relevant tile………..

Just go to Streetmap and find your point on the 1:25000 map. Save the image as a 1Km sq tile.

Cougar

Programs->accessories->snipping tool

If you’re on the very latest Windows 10 update (Creators’ Update), which you probably won’t be yet but will be soon, it’s now on a hotkey. Ctrl-Shift-S.

cp

Ctrl-Shift-S

nice 🙂 Use it loads, very useful.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Windows 10 also has the Windows Ink thingy in the system tray. Click/tap -> screen sketch, and off you go.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Managed it ta. No idea where the start menu is any more. Its not in the bottom left with the word start!
    My w10 pc doesn’t look the same as the old one which I could cope with.
    Never had the need to print a screen in my life. I use Word for letters, IE for surfing the web and that’s it.
    I was happy with 3.1.
    Anyway Thanks. Wish I’d stuck to paper as all the other bits and pieces needed are even more fiddly to me.

mattsccm
    Free Member

A thought.
    Can I make my W10 screen look like ,say? Xp? Start menue with all the good old stuff? Absolutely no mention of the A word.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its not in the bottom left with the word start!

It’s a windows symbol instead, but it’s there.

Just ignore the tiles to the right. You can remoe them if you realy hate them – see here. If you remove them all it’s pretty close to the old style:

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure whether you’ve managed to get the square you want, but let me know the grid ref and I’ll send you it as a high quality image you can open in paint (original source is Streetmap for those who are curious).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Downloading a small bit of OS map’ is closed to new replies.