Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Downhilling – fast and swoopy or loose and rocky?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I prefer long, fast, swoopy and jumpy. Give me technical rocky bits as well, but attached to the ground. Peak District-style loose-and-rocky is fun, but I don't rate it as highly as many on here. Classic example is Potato Alley – fun in a "hold on and go as fast as you dare" way, but not a classic downhill in my book.

What's the consensus?

njee20
    Free Member

Fast and swoopy for me! More flow is better!

dasnut
    Free Member

long, fast, swoopy, jumpy AND rocky for me (lakes district descents for instance)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rocks and stuff. Anyone can ride swoopy.

lyons
    Free Member

I like the peaks, but there are no corners! I like loamy, barely ridden in yet trails the most… Medium pace, s

jackal
    Free Member

Both, it's all good!
    I love really techy stuff, but then i love going flat out aswell…

😀

ddmonkey

Both please! What about snow and roots too? All good!

xc-steve
    Free Member

I find fast and swoopy makes me feel amazing when done right, but I'm faster at Loose and Rocky….

Isn't there another category we're missing here? Tight and Technical?

As long as I'm on my bike I'm happy!

GW
    Free Member

fast n stuff. anyone can ride rocks 😉

flow is prob more important to me than what the surface is, but I'd always prefer steep technical to fast plow riding.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I like it all, providing you don't throw in man-made jumps. They just wreck my day.

glenh
    Free Member

Loose rocks are dull.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Fast, slow, rocky, smooth, loose, whatever, i dont care as long as it has plenty of corners. Long straight steep bits just arent as fun.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Anyone can ride swoopy.

Give me a slippy off-camber corner and I will soon disprove that 😆

Most things can be "ridden" with modern bikes, but most people I see out riding are not "good" riders – myself included. All enjoying themselves tho' which is the point I s'pose

kimbers

loose and rocky!

with a bit of fast and swoopy linking the loose and rocky sections

chakaping
    Free Member

I like rocks, solid or loose.

Not saying it's better, just what I like the most.

_tom_
    Free Member

Fast and swoopy with some nice jumps thrown in.

harryparabolics
    Free Member

I would most certainly say yes.

Really good trails can have any combination of those elements IMO.

cookeaa

Why does it have to be just one thing?

In my book a good run will have a mix of stuff, rocks, roots, loamy forrest ground and/or exposed eroded stone trails, flat techy corners, bermed “rail-able” corners, drops, various types and sizes of jump possibly…

Obviously there are very few places you get absolutely everything in the UK, but a nice mix of some the above is available, wide open cornerless boulder gardens are OK I suppose but hardly a technical challenge are they? I suppose it depends on how much of a mincer you are…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Why does it have to be just one thing?

I'd prefer it if it wasn't, but something like Potato Alley in the Peak District is exactly that – one thing. There are no corners, very little change in gradient and just a loose and rocky surface. Perhaps that's the problem with a lot of the Peak District. The descents are often short and unvaried

wide open cornerless boulder gardens are OK I suppose but hardly a technical challenge

I refer you again to exhibit A – Potato Alley. I've ridden it by the skin of my teeth more often than not. All I had to do was hang on until I got to the bottom. Fun in a way, but not a patch on some of the long (and varied) descents I've done further afield

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Being more skilled than all of you, I've resorted to spraying fork juice all over the rock gardens near me just to provide some sort of challenge. Whilst riding blindfolded, naturally.

RHSno2
    Free Member

I like downhills that go uphill

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

lyons – Member
    I like the peaks, but there are no corners!

That's right. No corners in the Peak District. Nothing to see here. 😉

lyons
    Free Member

haha, im sure there are some on the lesser known tracks… What track is 'potatoe alley?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

From Hope Cross, up and over (NW) to cross Blackley Clough before going down to be spat out on a lane just off the Snake Pass below Rowlee Farm…or at least this is what I refer to as Potato Alley

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Anyone can ride swoopy.

and that matters because????

fast, swoopy and rocky for me please

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Downhilling – fast and swoopy or loose and rocky?’ is closed to new replies.