• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Downhill wellie walking.
  • chip
    Free Member

Since the turn in the weather I thought I would buy some decent wellies to walk the dog in. I live on a hill with the fields at the bottom of the hill.

I bought some muck boots in my size 11and they seemed very comfortable if slightly spacious when walking on the flat ground around the house but as soon as I ventured downhill with the dog my feet slid forward and smashed my toes on the front of the wellies painfully with every step.

So sent them back for a size smaller hoping they would fit better and my feet would not slide about inside them as much, but they were just too small.

So regular wellies wearers on the forum what’s the score here, can you get wellies that are capable of holding your foot in place while walking down hill or are bruised toes par for the course.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

You can but they are either an absolute pig to get on (I’ve got some leather lined Aigles) or they have full length side zips. Either way you spend a fortune.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

In Wales it depends which way the sheep is pointing….

benp1

Bruised toes likely unfortunately,there’s nothing to keep your foot in place

I did Loughton fell in my muck boys, wasn’t perfect but was fine

welshfarmer

Best wellie ever (from someone who lives in them!) are the Bekina Steplite

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/bekina-steplite-x-wellingtons-green

The grip is fantastic, as is the comfort. Not long after me and mrs farmer got ours we went for a walk up Penyfan in the snow. While others were cautiously making progress in boots and crampons we jogged to the top and back down again without so much as an issue* such was the grip.

*I don’t recommend winter mountaineering in wellies unless you have been bought up wearing them, the hills are effectively your factory floor and you have spent your lifetime walking them in all weathers!

onehundredthidiot

Got some neoprene lined hunters really good but I think any will have your feet sliding on steep ground.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Same as your cycling shoes. Buy what fits not what seems good. Don’t buy mail order unless direct replacement or tried first.
    For what its worth Mucks are a bit industrial. Excellent in some ways, I found the fit wrong for me. Try them on. Try Countrywide or a good shooting/riding shop.

mattsccm
    Free Member

If you want simple buy Nora’s.

dovebiker

Viking and Nokian both make winter grade wellies with decent, grippy soles – I have a pair of Nokians that are going on 20 years and they take tungsten carbide inserts for when its icy.

CountZero

I wear Muckboots when walking the valleys around Castle Combe, which involves steep uphill and downhill sections, and I’ve done eight or nine miles in mine.
    The trick is to wear thin socks with these over the top: https://ideal365.co.uk/workwear-footwear/socks/dickies-bama-boot-socks
    Much better than wearing two pairs of socks, where the outer pair can slip down and get uncomfortable, been wearing mine for around five-six years now, never have a problem sliding forward and squashing my toes.

nuke

I get issued wellies so no control on brand but fortunately I’m issued good quality Aigles…i get the closest size to suit me then add shoe inserts if necessary for a better fit (my current wellies have the inserts from some old Spesh spd shoes); can spend 8+ hours walking fields in them days in a row but so far no blisters etc

Superficial
    Free Member

Walk down hills backwards?

angeldust
    Free Member

Tried Bogs?

nickhit3
    Free Member

get rid of the dog?

hooli

Do they have to be wellies? I use some waterproof hiking boots and my feet stay dry, they have better grip and are more comfortable for me. They are also easier to get on and off.

Obviously they wont work if the water is up over your ankle…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Downhill wellie walking.’ is closed to new replies.