Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Downhill tyres with Stans rims
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m not talking tubeless here, just regular use with tubes, but which DH tyres are people using successfully with Stans rims? I am having an utter nightmare fitting Intense Invaders to my arch ex rims, there is simply not any way I can see them going on! No advice re: putting the bead into the rim well please, I know all that and these tyres are something else!

Are there any dual ply tyres that’ll be a tiny bit looser and be able to be put on to the rims?

If not, anyone wanna buy some arch ex on hope pro2 evos!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve had no issues at all with twin ply High Rollers & Minions on (non-EX) Flows.

(doh – I’m running mine tubeless, so ignore me!)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

That sounds fine Jon, just after tyres that can physically be fitted to the rims! Might give some maxxis a go.

tutgareth
    Free Member

Sorry for the thread hijack 🙂

I’m about to purchase some new Stans flow ex’s. can I run my minion DHF’s tubless on these rims?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Got Flow EX and Conti Der Barons. Fitted using fingers only.

scruff
    Free Member

Had minion, high roller and WTB on my non-ex.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

In response to tutgareth: I’m running a Maxxis 2.5 Exo Minion on my Flow EX rim and set it up tubeless with the yellow tape without any problems.

STATO
    Free Member

Would Arch rims not be a bit too narrow/fragile for DH tires?

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

You can fit a DH tyre no problem, suitability to DH racing on a particular rim may be a different matter.
    FWIW – have fitted Minion DHR 2.35 & DHF 2.5 to Crest rims. Current Chunky Monkey 2.4 is bigger than those (2.35/2.5 is old Maxxis sizing & come up smaller than the newer 2.25/2.4 sizings). Provided enough pressure to stop tyre roll, the tyres works fine.

tutgareth
    Free Member

thanks guys,

I’m going to order some hope hoops (flow EX’s), anyone know if tehy come with tape and valves to go tubless ?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

mine didn’t come with tubeless rim strips or valves.

tutgareth
    Free Member

Thanks, think I’ll grab the hope tubeless kit just incase..

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Tulgarth I think that 18 bikes sell their hope wheels with strips and valves in
    R

Northwind

FWIW, I’ve never had a tyre that didn’t go easily onto my Flows. For dualplies that means assorted Specialized, Maxxis and Contis.

superdale
    Free Member

Kendas onto my Flow EX are a PITA some fit some won’t sit straight on the rim. In contract Panaracer are a dream to fit.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Just fitted Maxxis Minion Dual Ply 2.5’s to my Flow EX rims was a bit tight but went on ok running them with tubes.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I find flow ex rims fine for Minions and also Der Barons. Der Barons fitted without levers as stated by someone above.

andeh

I’ve been running ZTR Flows with a selection of tyres for a couple of years now.

DP High Rollers and Minions in 2.35 – both are a bit of a bugger to get on, need some decent tyre levers

Rubber Queens – horrible, I also find the bead doesn’t seat correctly and occasionally gets stuck in the centre of the rim.

Larsen TT – falls on and off the rim without levers

Northwind

See, I’ve had DP 2.35 Minions, and both 2.2 and 2.4 Rubber Queens, on my Flows and they were all straightforward-

Northwind

Oops, cut meself off midflow… I reckon the cause of people not being able to get dh tyres on Stans rims, is the same cause of people not being able to get other tyres on Stans rims, ie, it’s people.

nowmefeelinit
    Free Member

Rubber Queen 2.2 BC on my Flow Ex rims are no problem at all. Using tubes at the moment but converting to tubeless very soon. Using Stan’s yellow tape FWIW.

STATO
    Free Member

See, I’ve had DP 2.35 Minions, and both 2.2 and 2.4 Rubber Queens, on my Flows and they were all straightforward

I reckon the cause of people not being able to get dh tyres on Stans rims, is the same cause of people not being able to get other tyres on Stans rims, ie, it’s people

No i think you were right first time, the tyres you have used fit easily. When you get a tight tyre you will know about it, conti and maxxis are not tight fitting types.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

What stato says. So many people read discussions about people having problems fitting tyres an they assume it’s the person, i.e. they don’t know about the whole pushing the bead into the central well on the rim first blah blah, but dual ply tyres of certain brands simply do not cut that method.

I got the intense on eventually after bringing it all indoors to warm up a bit, but boy do I hope I don’t have to do it on the trails!

njee20
    Free Member

Newer Stans rims are tighter to aid inflation – Arch Ex, Flow Ex, Podium, Crest and Alpine. Tyres are tighter than on Flow, Olympic or 355 rims.

There’s a technique for sure, but the newer rims are tighter. Schwalbe are the usual problem, as they also made their tyres slightly smaller to aid inflation, and they are fooking tight.

Northwind

STATO – Member

No i think you were right first time, the tyres you have used fit easily. When you get a tight tyre you will know about it, conti and maxxis are not tight fitting types.

I guess it wasn’t clear, the point I was making was that andeh was giving those same tyres as examples of hard to fit ones!

I’ve only had a single tyre that wouldn’t go onto Stans, and it wouldn’t go onto Mavic either, Schwalbe replaced it on warranty. Everything else including dualplies from all the main brands has gone on fine… (I’m a tyre nerd)

With one exception, that being one of those daft intense 4-plies, it wouldn’t go properly onto any rim I owned, even my baggy 729s and you could get a car tyre on those 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

IIRC though Northwind you have Flows and Traversees? Neither are anything like as tight as the newer Stan’s rims, incomparable. They will go on, but they are silly tight. I have blisters on both thumbs from fitting Dirty Dans onto my Podiums, having taken them off my Olympics 30 seconds before.

I can fit just about anything by hand – road, MTB, tub, clincher. But the newest Stan’s rims are stupidly tight.

Northwind

Aye, I’ve got Flows, Olympics and Traversees myself but I’ve done Flow and Arch Exs and Crests in the past, sure they’re a little tighter and need a bit more effort but they all went. Some have been swines to get back off the bead mind :mrgreen: But again- going back up the page and you have people having issues with the same tyres and rims as I have. Even with the older Stans rims some folks have always struggled, “This is impossible” followed by “My mate/LBS did it in 2 seconds” is a recurring theme.

Hardest rims I have aren’t ZTR, they’re Fulcrum UST Red Zones… Now those put up a fight sometimes.

njee20
    Free Member

I agree, they do go, and it is usually the technique that’s lacking for sure!

Bontrager with their TLR rim strips can be ridiculous!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m a Stans fan. I have Crest, Flow and Flow EX

I’ve had no problems with any Maxxis tyre on any of them.
    On the Flows and Flow EXs I’ve had Minions and High Rollers, dual ply
    in 2.3 and 2.5
    All have gone on by hand.
    I know this isn’t a tubeless thread but I suspect the reason mine go on easily tubeless is the liberal dowsing of fairly liquid that goes all around the bead before mounting the tyre. No reason why it shouldn’t aid fitting with tubes also.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Downhill tyres with Stans rims’ is closed to new replies.