• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ianv.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Downhill (or similar) bike for very proficient 12 year old?
  • langylad
    Free Member

Friend of my son is a very good rider and spends quite a bit of time at Gisburn doing the table tops and what have you. He’s seen the big kids up there on their monster bikes and has set his heart on one. Mum has about £800 to spend on him, but is struggling to find anything suitable/his size(probably 13 to 14′ frame).
    Any ideas, I think he would be ok on something like a 140 travel bike, but he wants the full monty

mikey3
    Free Member

Commencal Supreme 24″ 2011< what about this from merlin cycles,its £999 though.

sam2391
    Free Member

Commencal absolut SX 2nd hand?

MarkyG82

How longs a bike that fits him now gonna last him? Dont norco do a 24″ wheel hard hitter? Or an old big hit in small with a 24 front wheel as they came with 24 rear as standard.

To sum up… I’ve been no help 🙂

ianv
    Free Member

Yt industries first play looks good if a bit more than 800. There is a stinky 24 frame on crc.

However, unless the lad is small. He will grow out of a 24 in bike pretty quick . A second hand small is probably the way to go, check pinkbike.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

small ramones off merlin, only 900 with VIP

langylad
    Free Member

Thankyou all, checking out suggestions now.

Marky, it’s the thought that counts

moniex
    Free Member

I’d say the stinky 24 is a little small, the norco b line 24 comea up bigger, although it looks bigger than it rides.

We have one for our son, age 10 in this picture, but he is not very tall, about 137cm ish when this was taken.

We bought it for £270 in great nic and upgraded it quite a bit (drivetrain, forks, brakes and lighter tyres/tubes), is now weighs about 34lbs, so still heavy.

My son had a go on the cove g spot that is in the picture (15.5″ frame) and it was too big, but he could ride it (he only tried it in the car park and off some steps).

I’d say check the boys height very carefully, as all 12 year olds are different. I did see a young lad in switserland (local lad) ride a small 26″wheeled frame with 24″ wheels, I presume you will have to be carefull with the BB height…. Maybe the small big hit like suggested before and change the front wheel.

I do have the small cove g spot frame for sale if of any use? However, I think we will get 1, maybe 2 more alps trips out of our norco, so if the lad in question is small this may be an option?

Like I said, I think the stinky 24 is small, my boys also had a sit on one of these at the local shop, def smaller than the norco. Maybe a small 26″ kona stinky? I have seen people run these with 24″wheels….you could then change to 26″ when he grows?

Oh, i dont know, good luck!!

Simone

5lab

stinky 24 is a good bike, I’m surprised it was found too small for kids – remember a bike like this should size up a little smaller than normal

BoardinBob

Can they stump up an extra £250?

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p2265

No idea if a small would be too big for a 12 year old though

moniex
    Free Member

…but that Commencal Supreme 24″ looks great!! , did see some in the alps and seems to come up more like the norco…

1 left at merlin….

ianv
    Free Member

Felix, Thomas, Alex tignes by ianvincent, on Flickr

The lad in the fox top is on a supreme 24, he is 10 and not massive.

BoardinBob

Take advantage of the £100 off £1000 spend at CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75048

Chuck in a helmet and some bits to get it over £1000 then get the £100 saving

xiphon
    Free Member

Get him a small light hardtail with some air forks on it (both adjustability and weight), and a single-ring (32T) with a wide range cassette out back. With £800 budget, you could build a VERY nice light bike.

The skills he will develop riding that will pay out nicely when he switches to a bouncy bike in a few years time.

Physically he won’t be able to throw around a big bouncy bike anywhere near the amount for a light hardtail…

langylad
    Free Member

Thanks folkes, some great pics there. Wish I could get my 11 yr old interested (cricket mad), then I could persuade the wife to go on hols like that.

i am going to forward the supreme 24 and the reign x2 to his mum. Personally i think the reign is too big, but they are one half farming stock and the lad can put up with a lot more than us pen pushing softies. He sledges with no gloves/coat out of choice!

ianv
    Free Member

I dont think the supreme is a good idea. It will be too small in no time.

The kona bass on the CRC site might be worth a look. Not a downhill bike, but it would be a fun bike for a young lad.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Downhill (or similar) bike for very proficient 12 year old?’ is closed to new replies.