Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which is the best lift-served resort for fast but jump-free tracks?
  • poiu
    Free Member

Hi All,

Im looking for a resort (probably in the alps?) that has lots of lift served single tracks. The thing is whilst I love riding fast, i want to avoid jumping. (also want to avoid x country tracks due to lack of fitness! 🙂 )

Is it possible? I guess im looking for red runs without jumps?

Thanks,

Poiu

raisinhat
    Free Member

All of the jumps are clearly marked, or they’re tabletops which you can roll over. I doubt you could find a track in the alps anywhere that didn’t have a single jump on it, so why miss out on some excellent riding for such a strange reason?

Alternatively, get yourself on a skills course with some flat pedals and learn how to jump properly. Not only will it make you a better rider, it will also make your local tracks more fun too.

ianv
    Free Member

I cant think of anywhere that is fast and not jumpy. Why no jumps?

_tom_
    Free Member

Learn to jump and discover the funnest part about riding bikes, being off the ground 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

We do the sort of riding you describe on our annual trip to morzine. Use the lifts to get up and ride mostly down with wheels on the ground. There’s a massive network of lifts and runs and plenty of flowy such single track. There are jumps but they can be rolled or avoided.

Steve77
    Free Member

If you go during the months when you can ride the walking trails Chamonix has more ‘natural’ singletrack without jumps, berms etc.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Lots of stuff to ride like that in the PDS, panoramic down into Chatel is one example. There are jumps but you can blast down them quite happily without your wheels touching the ground.

Trekster

zero cool – Member
    Lots of stuff to ride like that in the PDS, panoramic down into Chatel is one example. There are jumps but you can blast down them quite happily without your wheels touching the ground.

+1….Spent a week last year in Chatel and surrounding area without a wheel leaving the ground 😆 Nice quiet little village with lots of good cafes and eateries. Shuttle bus up to the main lift. Super Chatel lift in the village with some good rides from there. We did Chatel to Morgin and then on to Avoriaz using various lifts. On another day we went over to Les Get. Be aware of lift closure times or get stuck!!!
    The only thing spoiling it for me are the stutter/braking bumps 🙄
    http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/France/Les-Portes-du-Soleil-Piste-Map-Large.jpg

poiu
    Free Member

Brilliant – thanks guys. I guess I’ll go straight to PDS (no mucking about!) and take it as it comes.

Why no jumping? – I just find it’s just much safer and I get enough of a rush from speed to satisfy! 🙂

Thanks all,

Poiu

Mackem

Trailaddiction do that sort of thing, I think.

jimmy

Mackem – Member
    Trailaddiction do that sort of thing, I think.

+1 Les Arcs

Miles and miles of jump-free singletrack. There are jumps if you want to find them, but generally not very jumpy.

legend
    Free Member

Another vote for Les Arcs, awesome natural riding (and man made if you really want it)

poiu
    Free Member

Les Arcs looks interesting, maybe less crowded for that wilderness feel? Is there enough lift served stuff to fill a week or two? We’re a pretty unfit bunch! 🙂

Cheers,

Poiu

ianv
    Free Member

Ime, the good stuff in the alps without jumps tends to be slow and tech. If you want to go fast you need to get on the proper downhill tracks, these have jumps but are often big tables and therefore mega ( but totally safe) fun.

Go down to the nearest Bmx track and get comfortable in the air, your trip to the alps will be much more rewarding. Les Deux alpes, Orcieres, Tignes, Valnord ( pyranees) are the best resorts that I have ridden for fast fun trails. Pds is ok but the weather is generally hit and miss.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You my friend need to go to Verbier with Bike Verbier. Best riding I’ve ever done and didn’t jump once. I get why you want this as well. Holidays are the last place to start to push the envelope. Nothing worse than smashing yourself on day one because you hit that jump too fast.

legend
    Free Member

poiu – Member
    Les Arcs looks interesting, maybe less crowded for that wilderness feel? Is there enough lift served stuff to fill a week or two? We’re a pretty unfit bunch!

With a good guide, easily. Oh, and you’ll definitely come back fitter 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which is the best lift-served resort for fast but jump-free tracks?’ is closed to new replies.