Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Downhill brake on front and stock on rear?
  • dougiedogg
    Free Member

Anyone using this combination? I was thinking of buying a Zee brakeset for the front wheel, and just keeping the stock singlepot on the rear.

My reasoning is that the front does the majority of the work.

Trimix
    Free Member

The front does, but that’s why the front rotor tends to be bigger. Id just leave the brakes the same and swop cheap rotors to suit.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Just put a bigger rotor on the front?

rocketman
    Free Member

My Zees have been on a few bikes, quite often the front only while I get round to lengthening/shortening the rear.

They are a bit bitey compared to single pots. They kind of ramp up when single pots have topped out. The worst combo was Zee front/396 rear the difference in levers and feel was quite intrusive. Zee + Deore not too bad but I think the only combo I could say felt OK was Zee + XT but obvs overwhelmingly unbalanced compared to Zee + Zee

Good luck

milky1980
    Free Member

Used to run a Hope M4 up front with an X2 on the rear, both on 183 rotors. That would be similar to what you are thinking and it was fine, mostly due to the levers feeling the same.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Does each hand not get used to the feel?

rocketman
    Free Member

Sure

The biggest issue is that for moderate braking Zees feel pretty much the same as any other Shimano brake – light pull, very little lever effort, nice and easy to use.

Zees have power in the bank though and if you need it, it’s there whereas the single pots have already maxed out. Pinning the front down with a Zee while the rear seems to have given up doesn’t feel that great tbh

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Like this you mean:

there are no new ideas

Personally I’d want an engineered solution, different lever feel etc would drive my [4/2]pot-ty but in theory, it works.

ads678

I’ve just fitted a set of Magura MT trail sports to my solaris. That have four pot front and 2 pot rear with 180mm rotos front and back. might be overkill for that bike so they might get moved over to my META AM if they are too much.

I’ll post up once i’ve bled them tonight and had a go on them. They need a bleed as I trimmed the hoses down and I must have lost fluid….

chakaping
    Free Member

Circumstance has left me with a zee on the rear and deore on the front of one of my bikes.

Not sure I’d want it the other way, for the reasons rocketman said.

I’m soon moving back to Zee both ends anyway.

scruff
    Free Member

I have zee front and xt rear. It’s fine, even in the Alps. I’ve tried zee on the rear but my frame started making Chewbacca noises so took it off. I don’t think it was an alignment/ contamination issue but caused by extra power from the zee flexing the bolt up stays.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I found the power of an m785 xt lacking in Sierra Nevada this year. Mostly at the hot end of the scale for sustained periods of heavy braking descending big old steep mountains when letting the brakes off to cool is just not an option. I’m already running a 203mm rotor up front so the logical thing for me is to put a zee calipers on the front. Can’t see a problem with it TBH, it used to be fine back when I was running a hope m4 front and mono rear.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Downhill brake on front and stock on rear?’ is closed to new replies.