Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Down Tube shifters
  • mikemorini
    Free Member

Anyone still use down tube shifters on their road bike, and what are your thoughts on the pros and cons?
    I’m in the process of building up a lugged steel frame and have a strange urge to run 2×10 with down tube Dura Ace shifters.

If I’m honest it’s for aesthetic reasons as much as cost.

Mike

Ladders
    Free Member

If you’re not racing it then there’s no reason really! DA shifters will look lovely, and you get a nice crisp gearchange!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Rode a bike with downtube shifters for the first time in years recently and it felt crazy dangerous at first. Got use to it again after a while. You do end up changing gear less often, but then back in the day you probably only had 6 sprockets!

mikemorini
    Free Member

bump for the evening roadsters

Edric64
    Free Member

9 speed down tube Dura ace shifters here .I like them because they have a friction option which 10 speed doesn`t have and changing a cable is easy if one breaks on an audax or when touring.Why would anyone think them dangerous ?

fourbanger
    Free Member

I run them on my Salsa Vaya Travel, partly because it splits and it’s less faff if I have to whip the bars and stem off and partly as it’s easier to replace cables damaged touring or during transit.

I love the feel of it personally. With just a guide on the BB and the rear cable loop from stay to mech, there’s hardly cable or any drag or outer compression. It feels so direct.\

It’s also nice being able to feel what gear you are in from the lever position. Overall a much more tactile experience than using conventional brifters.

Standing to attack and shifting gears is not something I’ve managed comfortably, but its hardly an issue touring. And when the Strava mamils want to play racing, I just counter their efforts seated.

Oh yeah, I run DA and they look loverly and make the crispest and most satisfying click on gear selection.

aether531
    Free Member

I love friction shifters. No indexing issues or rubbing front derailleur, simple and effective. Plus the old Campag Record is beautiful.

aracer
    Free Member

Have them on my winter bike – purely because I had them and the brifters which used to be on the bike most of the bits for that came from had found a new home. Out of choice I’d have brifters, but TBH it’s not a big problem for a general road bike which isn’t used for racing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Down Tube shifters’ is closed to new replies.