Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Down jacket that's not a down jacket and a little bit longer?
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new winter jacket. I’d read some previous threads and thought that something like a Montane Prism fitted the bill. I’ve since tried one on in various sizes and its just too short in the body. I tried a couple of other brands but they all seemed to sit too high. I’m 6′ 4” and reasonably slim. Has any anyone else come across this issue and does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

somouk
    Free Member

You need an Alpkit Filo

scotroutes

Mountain Hardware garments are often longer in the body than their UK equivalents.

scotroutes

That’ll be a down jacket then?

whereisthurso
    Free Member

The filo looks interesting and good value too. I’m not totally opposed to that style but I’d prefer to look as little like the Michelin man as possible.

jam-bo

Arcteryx atom.

somouk
    Free Member

I presumed the anti down sentiment was due to their short cut as mentioned by the OP and not down to their boxed puffy design.

tang
    Free Member

Patagonia worth a look.

hora
    Free Member

Didnt like the prism on sizing (over baggy even for its intended purpose and short). The flux is bang on length etc for me. Im 6ft2.

concept2

RAB Generator Alpine jacket. Synthetic and longer cut, arms and body. I am 6′ 4″. Large hood very cosy. Perhaps not ideal for stuffing in a pack but for a general winter coat i like mine. Endurance outer helps with water resistance. HTH

Chris

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-generator-alpine-jacket-p216069

Edit: cheaper here…
    http://www.towerridge.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_10&products_id=760

matt_outandabout

http://www.mountaincraftsman.co.uk/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=36&Itemid=96

Get hem to make a fibrepile and pertex long jacket, like the one at bottom of page…

mattbee

Mountain Hardwear Belayman jacket is my fave. Synthetic not down but snuggly warm, longer than my Mountain Equipment and Alpkit jackets too. (6’2″ with a size L).

Oblongbob

ME citadel, if they still make it.

ads678

Have a look at ski/snowboard jackets, they are usually longer and will be waterproof, but will be heavier as well.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m putting my Medium Montane Flux up for sale 😉 (too big for me)

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Rab generator looks to be a good option. I’ll definitely see if I can try one of those somewhere. Will check out Patagonia too.

RustyNissanPrairie

TNF McMurdo jacket, okay its down but it dosnt look like a down jacket and its long-I’m 6’6″ and it fits great. Expensive at full retail and wrong time of year for bargains.

boxelder

If looking second hand, AW has a few

kayak23

I presumed the anti down sentiment was due to their short cut as mentioned by the OP and not down to their boxed puffy design the often appalling and unnecessary suffering of the animals used to produce them .

*FTFY

*I await the traditional flaming reserved for those who consider beyond human interests… 😀

chiefgrooveguru

Warm enough? Will outlast you and never go out of (or into) fashion! 😉

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Have ordered a Rab Generator Alpine hooded jacket in large. Unfortunately there are no shops locally that stock them so I’ll take a chance and send it back if need be. Concept2 Chris what size is yours?

duffle
    Free Member

Bugger an hour too late but
    http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/jackets-c-60_101.html
    Rab Generator Alpine for £99 but in red only……….I got the last small black one but its quite long in the back compared to my previous micro puff jacket and the hood seems pretty good too

whereisthurso
    Free Member

No worries. I found one for £95 but only in red. Happy to live with the colour at that price.

andy8442
    Free Member

I have the Rab Generator, it is a good length, nowhere near as warm as I required……so I bought a AlpKit Filo. Good length, warm as, and £120! AlpKit have a new range coming out if you can wait a few months.

concept2

Bit late sorry – mine is a xxl as i use it as a general coat (over work stuff etc) and am more rower than cyclist in size. The sleeves are almost too long and it is certainly longer overall – i have a montane prism (i think, grey with orange inside) and that i use as a fleece replacement, too “small” to be a proper coat for me.

Chris

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Received the Rab Generator in the post today. It’s perfect for what I need. The length is just right in body and arms so I’m very pleased. Thanks for all the advice.

bur70n
    Free Member

What about Haglofs?!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Down jacket that's not a down jacket and a little bit longer?’ is closed to new replies.