Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Down jacket suggestions
  • jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Looking at getting one of these for a trip to canada of crimbo (-10 deg c)
    Anyone rate them or any similar priced alternative?

backinireland
    Free Member

1 of what?

Rate my Rab coat highly

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Ha, Edited the title and removed the brand, looking at a montane north star

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Which rab?

peterfile
    Free Member

I have a North Star, James.

It will be warm enough for the temps you want it for, but it’s not a super warm down jacket, i’d put it more in the wearing-at night- when-moving-fast-in-the-alps category than sitting-by-the-campfire type jacket. You’ll notice the difference in weight and fit compared to other common down jackets (much slimmer profile). Looks good on and you don’t look like a michelin man wearing it to the pub.

I love mine, it’s worn all year round, most weekends for everything from packing the car to draping over my sleeping bag when i’m cold on a summit camp in the middle of winter. Packs down small and has a good length (much better length than most i tried). Hood is excellent and the fit is really good.

Sitting around, I’ll wear it down to about -3 or 4 with just a t shirt, then i’d look to stick on another layer.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Cheers Peter I tried it on today and as you say the fit was much better than both the rab’s I tried (summit and ascent )
    If I can get go outdoors to price Match I’ll get it.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Ive got a rab infinity endurance. Super warm and very light…packs away into its own stuffsack too. 🙂

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have an old Marmot one – no idea on the model, but given I have had it since the second half of the 90’s it is probably irrelevant anyway! Superb bit of kit though, it has done me (jeans, t-shirt and Sorell Arctic boots down to about -20/-25C in Arctic Sweden.

I suspect anything from a reputable brand is going to be grand!

Cowman

PHD everytime. I have a Yukon Smock, made to measure, good to minus 15. Feels nice, box wall construction.

Really not as expensive as you think considering it is made to fit, which by the sounds of your comments is important.

passtherizla
    Free Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE my northstar!!!!!! wouldn’t be without it. Lightest affordable jacket by a long shot. been great for everything. but then I do run a little warm. I also have a Rab something or other from a few years back that i sheavier tougher and warmer but the fit is no where near as good.

this looks nice too!

beghaus

wl
    Free Member

Got a North Star for £90 in a sample sale and was assured it has the same fill as the production jacket. Even so, I was a bit disappointed with its warmth. Having said that, it’s bloody light, fits great and has a superb hood. Not too bulky on, either. Got an Alpkit on offer last year and I’m hoping it’s warmer, even though it’s bulkier. I generally use them for sitting around in camping barns and tents, not being active in.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ive got a rab infinity endurance. Super warm and very light…packs away into its own stuffsack too

Got the same. It’s not been cold enough to wear it this year. Shame I got a large, I really needed a medium.

turbo1397
    Free Member

@wrecker.. im usually a large in jackets but found the medium a perfect fit with long arms which I usually have problems finding. .

grahamh
    Free Member

mmm ,still rate my original Rab Andes jacket from 1986, still going strong after 25 years.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Late to the discussion but where are you going in Canada where it might only be -10C at Christmas? Over night low in Banff tonight is -22C

RichT

My mountain hardwear nilas is amazing. RRP is very high but I got it at outlet for about £100.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

sweaman,
    Toronto, its almost tropical at present, 0Deg C and raining(although it is freezing rain)

oyon
    Free Member

Rabs last for years. My old one is 15yo and working perfectly. If you are loaded or get real lucky (I had 60% off!) then Crux are obscenely lovely.

myheadsashed

PHD……very light, very warm.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I ended up getting the montane north star, and at -35deg c it kept me nice and warm, its also very light and packs down to a decent size.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Down jacket suggestions’ is closed to new replies.