Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Down Jacket
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Pleader – I think this is always what issues like these boil down to – intended purpose

It’s for a sort of do it all use I suppose, so standing/sitting around outside in the winter/cold, walking the dog etc

So, no climbing mountains, trecking the arctic etc

Just been looking at the Alpkit Filo. Quite like the look of that as it has a long back, as well as a detatchable hood, plus is sensible money

fourbanger
    Free Member

Muji have some nice looking, well priced jackets. Not the best technically I’m sure, but I got one of their down body warmers and I’m well impressed.

MoreCashThanDash

We are sad and have “his and hers” Alpkit Filos. Bargains in their sales at £80, a mate who does winter walking in tbe Lakes reckons it is still a bargain at normal price.

I’m the only one in the office who didn’t complain about the cold after the 10 minute walk from the car park this morning. And for standing around on a cold and windy school playground when the teachers decide to not let the kids out on time, it has been amazing!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Dash – was that the sales on Alpkit’s site?

flange
    Free Member

Haglof

I’ve just got a Haglofs jacket for Xmas and its bloody awesome (mine isn’t the down one but I tried one on while i was in the shop). I’ve got various North Face jackets and none come close to the fit and finish of a ‘Lof. This is much cheapness (relatively) and would be the one I’d buy

MoreCashThanDash

bonesetter – yes, Alpkit seem to sell them off Feb/March time. I got mine last year, wife got hers the year before. Bit of a gamble waiting of course! Subscribe to their emails for details.

If you are anywhere close you could always ring them and see if they have any seconds or returns going cheap. They sometimes do, they had lots a couple of years ago when I last went to their yard sale.

And if you are close enough for Alpkit then you are close enough for the Rab factory as well.

Crell
    Free Member

I’ve had an alpkit one for years which has lasted well despite my best efforts. They also repaired it for free for me ( in exchange for a box of chocs). I found it warmer and nicer to wear than my Rab neutrino endurance. I couldn’t believe I sold the latter for almost full retail ( I paid 110) after a year though.

My favourite is a Halti I picked up in tacky max. Halti are a Finnish brand that make really nice kit. I think I paid 60 for a 750 FP jacket.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – think it’s going to be the Alpkit.

The long back is the deal winner for me. I like their down to earth ethos too

ElShalimo

Fantastic customer support too

matt_outandabout

Haglof

I’ve just got a Haglofs jacket for Xmas and its bloody awesome (mine isn’t the down one but I tried one on while i was in the shop). I’ve got various North Face jackets and none come close to the fit and finish of a ‘Lof. This is much cheapness (relatively) and would be the one I’d buy
    Hmmm, my Haglofs waterproof has been falling apart, now shiny new fleece has an iffy zip less than a week in….

banjax34
    Free Member

got a NF down gotham jacket for xmas and when asked about it on here people said too warm , it’s a heavy jacket and a snug fit, i spent boxing day at football (my son made me) it was perfect for sitting down doing bugger all with the occasional standing up to cheer a goal !

nwill1
    Free Member

I’d always wanted a NF one, got one at a good price but turned up and didn’t fit, it’s band new in Large RRP £300 yours today for only £100!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-brand-new-north-face-hyvent-goose-down-coat-100

CountZero

I like the look of the Jottnir Fafnir jacket, and it’s the same price as the Black Diamond Hot Forge (when that’s got £70 off), too!
    Expensive, yes, but Arc’teryx stuff is insanely pricey.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ Diminishing Return?

ElShalimo

For truly eye-watering prices just look at Moncler jackets

singlespeedstu

Nige.
    The Alpkit down jackets are great for the money.
    Very warm, if a little bulky, but you’ll not go far wrong for the kind of use you’re looking for.
    Amanda has one, I have one, but we only wear them for a walk to the pub when it’s propper cold.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Great, looks like I’ve made a good move as I Ordered a Filo 🙂

‘Walking to the pub’ is about all I want it for

You pair out and about tomoz? I’ll be bimbling ’round, passing the Anchor

HYN

singlespeedstu

We were there today*. Don’t think we’ll be there tomorrow. Thought we might have seen you.
    *Did bump into Mot.

bonesetter
    Free Member

did he try and get you to tubeless his fat tyres while you were there?

mikemorini
    Free Member

Picked up a mountain warehouse jacket for £50 in a sale before Christmas.

(http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/jackets/mens-padded-jackets/henningvaer-down-padded-jacket-p12143.aspx)

It’s been excellent and my go to jacket (when dry) for dog walking, work, hanging around outside shops etc.
    I don’t really feed the cold too much, so anything more insulated would be overkill for me.

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve always been a fan of down jackets but this year I went for an arcteryx synthetic.
    It’s fantastic. Just as warm as a down 600 fill but you can just chuck It in the washing machine without worry or faff.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I bought a Montane Extreme jacket in the summer sale at go outdoors. It’s the best £70 I’ve ever spent, extremely warm with just a merino base layer underneath for waking the dog in -3C the other night.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    … Turned out he spent 15yrs in the Army in the SAS..

/pedant according to their bios’ they where both Navy.. /pedant.

Granted, you can still be badged and come from the Navy..

Nice looking kit tho’..

dyna-ti

Was going to recommend ALPKIT but i see someones beaten me to it.
    Ive the above jacket and have used it for the colder months for the last 3 years.
    https://www.alpkit.com/products/filo-men-chilli-steel

I see theyre up in price to £120 (mine was £95)

I have to say that comparing my jacket to the other high st brand names, the Alpkit is considerably thicker.

If it finally gives up or is destroyed in some way ill be getting the same jacket as replacement.
    Yes its warm but you can also crush it really small into the bottom of the pack. You had the day out and off to the pub where you feel chilled. Its ideal for that. Certainly a considerably warmer throw on than anything else you can pack at that size.

CountZero

I must say that Mountain Warehouse jacket looks good for the money. There’s one in Cirencester, I might take a run up there and check them out.

CountZero

Well, I had a run up to Cirencester today, thought I’d pop into my mate Sean’s bike shop to say hello and Happy New Year and they were closed! So I had a look in Mountain Warehouse, which was my other reason to go up, and had a shufti at those lightweight down jackets, reduced to £50, but tbh I wasn’t that impressed, they’re ok for the money, but hardly any different to my Uniqlo jacket, apart from being synthetic fill instead of down, and having the two chest pockets.
    Fine if you need a light jacket, but I certainly couldn’t justify getting one.
    Gives me a good excuse to start saving for a Jottnir jacket, though… 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

Mountain Warehouse are 75/25 fill mix. No mention of fill power

My Alpkit should arrive tomoz

brooess
    Free Member

I love down jackets – really cosy when it’s cold. But only needed/appropriate really for when you’re standing/sitting around and not generating much heat e.g. wild camping/belaying in winter.
    That said, I wore my North Face Nuptse most days on a trekking trip in Nepal – but we were up above 5000m and not really moving too fast!
    It’s had loads of use and is now 10 years old and still going strong so from a value for money point of view I’d say it’s been well worth it.
    I find synthetic’s not as warm, but for most UK temps and if you’re moving then that’s prob more appropriate, esp as UK tends to be more damp as well!

footflaps

I’ve got a few down jackets stored in the loft from my Winter Mountaineering days. I mainly use synthetic jackets now, cheaper, easier to clean (bung in the wash once a month) and just as comfy, although not quite as warm. I’ve been skiing all week in a Rab synthetic jacket and don’t miss my down jackets at all.

NB Decathlon do pretty reasonable down jackets price wise.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ Good feedback, thanks

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Down Jacket’ is closed to new replies.