Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Down hill inner tubes
  • smartay

Fed up with punctures, not pinch flats mainly thorns etc, will these heavier duty tubes help or go tubeless.
    Running Maxxis High Rollers on Ragley AM rims

wysiwyg
    Free Member

More air?

wwaswas

you could try filling (not literally) tubes with sealant. Works fairly well on my cross bike.

ndthornton
    Free Member

thicker tubes will help (a bit) with pinch flats but not thorns. I gave up on them a long time ago and now just run XC ones – easier to carry a spare as they are lighter and take up less space.

Im quite lucky though as I dont live in a thorny area and the only punctures I get are the odd pinchy – which I try to prevent by running 30 PSI.

For thorns I would recommend tubeless and sealent. that sealent really is remarkable stuff – I have seen pin cushion like tyres stay inflated perfectly well.

scruff
    Free Member

Go tubeless with sealant, thorns will stop being an issue. Best thing I ever did bikewise as I was always getting thorn punctures.

Northwind

As above- stronger tubes are better at thorns etc, but still not great. After all it’s already got through the much tougher outer tyre.

Highrollers aren’t normally delicate but maybe a puncture-resistant tyre would help.

smartay

As I haven’t got a compressor, how much to go tubeless.
    I’ve heard difficult to seat tyres without that initial blast of air

LoCo
    Free Member

Welter weight/freeride maxxis tubes are a good compromise between weight puncture protection.
    Although after having gone tubeless it’s even better.

tmb467
    Free Member

9p inflator

Ghetto compressor for going tubeless

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve heard difficult to seat tyres without that initial blast of air

Depends how tight the tyre beads are to the rim shelf.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its hedge trimming season, wait a month and you will be fine.

MarkN
    Free Member

Tubeless is the answer to thorns or you could try the plastic strip in between tube and tyre. Seen them but never tried it so no idea how effective it is.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_920509_langId_-1_categoryId_228377

Slime used to do a kevlar strip as I recall.

Edit Decathlon have them as well.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/kevlar-anti-puncture-strips-x2-id_8215460.html#avantages

toys19
    Free Member

I use maxxis dh tubes, they are about a tenner each. I have not had a puncture since 2011 on my dh bike. I land like a skiydiving baby elephant who’s parchute didn’t open..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Down hill inner tubes’ is closed to new replies.