Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Down hill bike sizing-can you go 'small'?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Seen a great deal on a downhill bike but its a small and I usually ride a medium trail bike (but a small road bike). Given i’ll be standing up on it for the majority of the time doing very little pedaling, any reason why a small will causeme issues.

I’m 5-8 btw…

scruff
    Free Member

You’ll have too much weight over the front and shorter front centre and wheelbase will be less stable.

hebridean
    Free Member

As with all things there probably a bit of a difference across makes and models. My nephew rode a small Canyon Torque (which I’m currently selling in the classifieds) and only really grew out of it at about 5’9″. Was very comfortable on it until then. He’s also ridden a few other medium sized bikes recently e.g. Santa Cruz V10 and he reckoned some of them felt the same or smaller than the small Canyon.

legend
    Free Member

If you’re feet feel like they’re under your handlebars you’re going to know all about it. Size is just as important on a DH bike, it’s just that you should be looking at different numbers to the ones you currently are

brakes
    Free Member

more fun on technical stuff? possibly slower and less stable?

tpbiker
    Free Member

what numbers need looking at?

Its a Giant Glory – 2011 model/

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’re feet feel like they’re under your handlebars you’re going to know all about it.

Yeh, this. I’ve ridden a few DH bikes that were too small for me (although I am 6’3″). Handle bars were were way too close to my legs when stood up. Nowhere near enough space to move about. Although if you’re 5’8″ then it probably won’t be too big a deal.

Reach is the number you should be looking at.

tpbiker
    Free Member

unfortunately reach is the one measurement they don’t provide!

geo

STATO
    Free Member

scruff – Member

You’ll have too much weight over the front and shorter front centre and wheelbase will be less stable.

Good one ha-ha.

OP, given most 2015/16 DH bikes are about 50mm longer reach than 2013 versions, and those longer again than 2000 DH bikes, you will be ok but as most of us who have ridden older bikes know, there will always be a compromise somewhere.

soobalias
    Free Member

five years ago it was “chuckable”
    currently it falls foul of “long slack low”

hth

scruff
    Free Member

An older glory in small will be too small imo.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

five years ago it was “chuckable”
    currently it falls foul of “long slack low”

Obviously there are the “trends”

But to be chuckable, you’ve got to ave enough space to move the thing about. Having your legs hit the bars on jumps is not ideal!

tpbiker
    Free Member

damn it…thanksfor the advicefolks. If it was borderline I may have taken a unt given it was 600 quid…but if they are notoriously small at the best of times I won’t bother.

legend
    Free Member

**** me did my post really just get deleted?? Anyway, small 2011s are bloody tiny

Rorschach
    Free Member

Glory sizing was more minuscule,tiny,too small.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Down hill bike sizing-can you go 'small'?’ is closed to new replies.