Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Down / feather duvets
  • papamountain
    Free Member

Looking for a double, 13.5 tog. Any recommendations? budget under £100.

Sick of this crap polyester or whatever pos I have just now.

Thanks.

wallop

I always buy duvets from John Lewis.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Buy a wool duvet. Ours from Bavet are brilliant.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

We’ve had several from Ikea. I like the twin versions – two duvets buttoned together. Super warm and lasted much longer than some very expensive ones from JL. Think we paid £25 for a double in Ikea about 5 years ago.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmx1vMouUt8[/video]

tonyplym
    Free Member

Another vote here for a Bavet wool duvet – have never slept better.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Daveydown. Rather good

chakaping
    Free Member

Wait until the sales!

sweepy
    Free Member

13.5 tog is a hell of a lot. I use a down combi, 2.5 and a 7.5 that pop together when its really cold. Ive never had to do it yet and I live in the Highlands. I honestly think 13.5 would be stifling.

I don’t suppose synthetic togs feel different to down?

I do rate mine and it was about your budget if I remember right, from the Guardian site I think.

stumpy01

We’ve got a 13.5 tog ‘peach-soft’ (or something like that) synthetic double duvet from John Lewis which is really nice.
    Think it cost around £65.

Cougar

We’ve had several from Ikea.

Aren’t Ikea ones some sort of odd continental size, so you’re stuck with their covers etc too? Or am I misremembering?

bruk

Seriously look at wool. Warm in winter but not too hot in summer. Quite a light duvet as well. Even the kids have wool ones now.

papamountain
    Free Member

Hmm wool eh, who knew. I’ll have to look at one in a shop. Def want 13.5, i run my room freezing cold. Will have a separate one for summer.

Definitely don’t want synthetic, I’ve had my fill of those now.

footflaps

I’d be amazed if you can get a down duvet for under £100.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Definitely don’t want synthetic, I’ve had my fill of those now

<applause>

loum
    Free Member

Tk maxx big stores do the branded ones that the likes of j Lewis and house of Fraser haven’t shifted. Well under budget
    Likely to be last year’s model though 😉

hammyuk
    Free Member

JL? Really?
    Get along to Asda – seriously!
    £25 for a 10Tog and £35’ish for a 13.5Tog – both Silentnight.
    Have a 4.5Tog too for summer and it was about £15.
    My OH has some bonkers 4ft thick down one that was a ridiculous amount of money and she’s perfectly happy at mine where all three cost less than half of hers.

dmorts

I always buy duvets from John Lewis.

Bought one from JL two years ago. The sort that comes in two parts, one a higher tog than the other. The poppers that held it together broke on the first separation so it went back. It also absolutely stank of duck….

Bought one from Feather & Black instead, much better system of attaching the duvets and it didn’t smell. F&B often have sales with quite large reductions.

However, after a post about down on here I would definitely look into the ethics of how it is sourced when buying again. Something that didn’t cross my mind at the time. I always look to buy free-range eggs and higher welfare chicken/meat, but didn’t connect this to buying a down duvet. Wool would seem a better choice in relation to this.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t need half the “tog” rating in down that you do in synthetic IME.

I’d be amazed if you can get a down duvet for under £100.

Erm…
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=down+duvet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=KEtpVtz3DMP5UrOGs9AF#q=down+duvet&tbm=shop

sadmadalan

We bought a JL one a few years ago, down and feather – the type that you button together. However we don’t do this any more. Instead we have the two quilts in separate quilt covers, so if you are too warm, just kick of one quilt. 13.5 is a warm number, we have no heating in our bedroom and the window is open most nights and I rarely need two quilts. My other half, however, is totally different story and needs many layers!

teef
    Free Member

You don’t need half the “tog” rating in down that you do in synthetic IME

This doesn’t make sense – the tog rating will determined by a standard test. OK a down duvet maybe thinner than a synthetic one of the same tog rating but their thermal properties should be the same.

imn

Wool if you can find within budget. We have light and mediums (think equivalent to 5 & 10ish tog). Amazing in summer, as they seem to avoid overheating you can get with down/feather types. They don’t loft as much, but ace anyway.

unovolo
    Free Member

After reading about the Baavets Wool duvets above I have just ordered a single one for my Daughter.

Have a look at their Bargain section if your on a budget(like me).
    If she likes it I will probably order a Double for me and the missus, as reading up seems that Wool is a Heat regulator rather than a Insulator(like down)so ideal for me and the missus as she is always cold whereas I tend to be much warmer.

imn

unovolo – don’t you mean the baaargain section? 😛

dooosuk
    Free Member

Had both of ours out the bargain section at Baavet. One for a dodgy bit of stitching and the other for a slight oil mark. Massive savings on King Size for something you’ll never see.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I had my first nights sleep with a Baavet last night & I’m impressed so far, but obviously it’s early days. I bought a super king from the baagain box, £65 as a customer return to put on a kingsize bed & replace a top sheet & standard duvet, it didn’t budge but then I doubt a normal one would either with the amount of overhang on each side of the bed 😆

Cheers.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Another vote for Baavet, without doubt the best duvet I have ever slept under, keep a look out in the bargain box; http://www.baavet.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=61&limit=100
    We have the medium weight duvet, (400-450g), and it does all year round toasty warm. Combined with a Baavet mattress topper, you can’t get it any better 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Down / feather duvets’ is closed to new replies.