Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Down at the bottom of an oldforgotten bridleway I find this!
  • jekkyl

Honestly! Some people.

As I carried on down the bridleway there were several more, I’m thinking this guy’s gone to a lot of trouble, he really doesn’t want cyclists down here, what’s he hiding? But alas there was nothing at the end, just the exit back onto the road.

deadkenny
    Free Member

There are some at the end of paths I’ve been down many times that I just happen to have not noticed 😉

Though if that’s an official bridleway, I’m not sure he can do that.

Land owners try all sorts. There’s a walking path near where I live that I walk down and they built some new houses there and keep trying to block off and hide the public footpath, but everyone is trampling through. If walkers are adamant about their rights of way, then so should cyclists be. It’s bad enough we’re told to keep off everything else, we shouldn’t be denied the stupid horse tracks we’re told are the only places we’re allowed to ride as well.

schnor
    Free Member

Unfortunately the sign isn’t in compliance with the UK Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (2002) linky. It’s your duty as a fine and upstanding cyclist to ignore such illegal signs, mmkay 😉

garage-dweller

If it is genuinely on a bridleway then this needs reporting to the local authority. Also worth a word with local CTC right to ride or access rep. It may be a misunderstanding by the land owner or more likely an attempt to get access rules changed / prevent legitimate access.

crispyrice

Or rip it down and proceed looking as innocent as possible 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Take it down anyway but keep the posts for the logburner.

enfht
    Free Member

Make up some Cycling Permitted signs and stick them on top, but remember to right something witty on the original for when he peels your sign back off.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

it’s an offence to put signage up that tries to discourage lawful access to PROW

report to local highways authority

jekkyl

I think I might go back and nick it for my cycle shed.

matt_outandabout

schnor – Member

Unfortunately the sign isn’t in compliance with the UK Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (2002) linky. It’s your duty as a fine and upstanding cyclist to ignore report it to the RoW officer, such illegal signs, mmkay

mcnultycop

Take it down and make it into a kicker.

antigee

……now if you really want to get the landowner into a really wound up state if/when you bump into them tell them not only do you know its a bridleway but you’ll be writing to the local authority to remind them of their legal obligation to correctly signpost it where it crosses roads ….of course they’ll do what they always do which is knock the signs down again but the tantrum is entertaining

jonba
    Free Member

cnultycop – Member
    Take it down and make it into a kicker

Do this

stoffel
    Free Member

Take it down and make it into a kicker.

Best idea yet!

chakaping
    Free Member

Group ride you say?

With dogs running free?

MoreCashThanDash

Seriously, if it’s a bridleway, report it.

Best nip this kind of nonsense in the bud and remind the landowner of the facts of his life.

poah
    Free Member

keeping dogs on lead is a good idea though – fed up having dogs coming up to my marley barking and then have the owners shout at me when he retalites.

hora
    Free Member

Sick of walkers with dogs off leads. On monday I watched a walkers dog attack two lambs on Whinstone Lee Tor. He was shouting at it. Eventually it cameback (he didn’t put it on a lead and it ran through the next gap in the wall again).

I watched this from a distance. As he closed to me he quickly popped his dog onto a lead.

On cheeky before two dogs ran off after sheep.

So if I ever see a walker give me grief I’ll say ‘when you lot KEEP your dogs on leads then you can lecture me’.

scandal42
    Free Member

I ride bikes off road and allow my dog to go off the lead in open countryside, what an absolute monster.

A dog off the lead has as much right as anyone else to use the land, although obviously not if that land contains livestock.

If only people could actually coexist in harmony in these mixed use environments then it wouldn’t be such a bloody stress for people to do what they supposedly enjoy doing.

nbt

I don’t mind dogs off the lead is they;re well trained and will stay close to the owner and come to heel when called.

I’ve yet to see one though, most dog owners just undo the leash and watch in vain as the dogs runs around

edlong
    Free Member

So if I ever see a walker give me grief I’ll say ‘when you lot KEEP your dogs on leads then you can lecture me’.

Yeah, cos all walkers are the same and can be treated as a collective entity, just like when “you lot” refers to cyclists…

hora
    Free Member

I know but I don’t want those ‘ooo hes never done that before’ moments.

Dogs are animals, they don’t think logic, common sense etc when primeval instinct kicks in.

Yeah, cos all walkers are the same and can be treated as a collective entity, just like when “you lot” refers to cyclists…

Funnily cyclists are lumped together.

GrahamS

Not helpful.

You sound like a motorist telling me that he’s allowed to run me down because my lot all run red lights. 🙁

(Edit: beaten to the point by edlong)

hora
    Free Member

Everytime I stop for a redlight the three or four others that I overtook previously all sail round me through the redlight.

stoffel
    Free Member

A dog off the lead has as much right as anyone else to use the land

No it doesn’t, in fact it has no ‘right’ at all, in law. Owners of all animals have a duty of care to ensure they are treated humanely, that’s about it. And all dogs must be under control in any public or uneneclosed space, at all times.

I have no problem with dogs being kept on leads at all times. If you want it to run free, then let it do so on your own securely enclosed land. Or simply just don’t own a dog, if these simple rules are beyond you.

hora
    Free Member

+1

pondo

I have never known anyone so frequently grab hold of the wrong end of the stick.

hora
    Free Member

Watch dogs attack sheep. It hardens your viewpoint.

If you’d seen cyclists ride fast and close past you, your viewpoint would harden.

I’m not a typical STW’er. Said this a few times, I can hold a conversation/interact with strangers away from online life. 😉

packer
    Free Member

I have no problem with dogs being kept on leads at all times.

Bit cruel really though isn’t it?

chakaping
    Free Member

What was the point again?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I can hold a conversation/interact with strangers away from online life.

I just mumble and wet myself in the real world 🙄
    Perhpas you should be a life coach….. I assume folk would be desperate to hear your pearls of wisdom on life and the universe 😛

Everytime I stop for a redlight the three or four others that I overtook previously all sail round me through the redlight.

You overtaking people HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

GrahamS

A dog doesn’t need to be kept on a lead at all times to be well-controlled.

The fact that some muppets can’t train or control their dogs appropriately doesn’t mean that all dogs should suffer.

stoffel
    Free Member

Bit cruel really though isn’t it?

Thn don’t own a dog, if you’re that sensitive.

A dog doesn’t need to be kept on a lead at all times to be well-controlled.

Very few, in my experience. Most, even placid non-violent dogs will invariably wander out in front of bikes. And many owners are idiots, sadly.

pondo

Said this a few times, I can hold a conversation/interact with strangers away from online life.

Not on the basis of your posts on here, you can’t…

Junkyard
    Free Member

I used to live on a sheep farm and I remember a farmer [ different place obv] asking me to put my dog on a lead she was sat heel within hand touching distance of me just sat there looking at us both whilst his ran around barking

I ignored him…..the rules are under control FWIW
    this will depend on the dog and the owner…imagine that nuance eh.

FWIW every sheep dog I have seen will bite sheep if they do not move when they run at them.

nedrapier

Reminds me of a chat I had with a lady scooterist in the lift at work.

She obeys the traffic laws, except for the one about not using the ASL. She says she has cylists have a go at her occasionally. She has the line ready “I’ll stop using the box when you lot stop running red lights”

It was one of those moments when you search the other person’s eyes for a hint, a twinkle of intentional irony or playful sarcasm. And find none.

Northwind

hora – Member

Simultaneously proving that all cyclists jump red lights, and no cyclists jump red lights. Hora’s Paradox.

GrahamS

Most, even placid non-violent dogs will invariably wander out in front of bikes.

That’s hardly “uncontrolled” is it? Bit of difference between wandering about a bit and tearing up a lamb!

If you’re having problems stopping for dogs on the trail then you are the one lacking in control. Do you expect other animals to be kept on leads too? Rabbits? Deer? Children?

GrahamS

She has the line ready “I’ll stop using the box when you lot stop running red lights”

Perhaps you should point out that by entering the box on a red or amber light she is breaking precisely the same law as a cyclist running the light.

traildog
    Free Member

I’m not a typical STW’er. Said this a few times, I can hold a conversation/interact with strangers away from online life.

I like the idea of entering a ladies box
    Oh wrong topic.

🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Down at the bottom of an oldforgotten bridleway I find this!’ is closed to new replies.