Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dovestone reservoir rides
  • jamesross
    Free Member

Does anyone know of any good trials round or nearby the reservoir? I was walking round there yesterday and saw quite a few mountain bikers about including someone on a very nice looking Alpine 160.

mcnultycop

There’s loads of stuff. Lots is cheeky but there is no real hassle.

jamesross
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. Is it a case of just getting out and exploring or are there any particular paths which I should be looking at riding?

mt
    Free Member

Almost none of the routes are legal but………….
    A careful map/google earth study and a bit of on the ground observation will reap rewards.

mcnultycop

If you ride up most of the way to Chew Reservoir (up the very steep slog) then there is a sort of quarry on the left. Just after this is a path you’ll have to push up. Follow this and it leads to a really technical section. (Technical traverse on Strava). Follow this then you can pick a track down when you find one. Not a great explanation but I’ve only ridden thst route once (the climb up to Chew is awful).

Alternatively stick at lower level. The forest sort of opposite the boat house is full of trails with little drops and jumps. Ride down, shove back up, repeat.

jamesross
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Might try and get up there next weekend and do some exploring! I have done with but of sailing at Dovestone and always thought there would be some good riding to be had.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

James,
    I ride Saddleworth regularly, Dovestones,Chew etc having some fantastic downhill sections, you do have to pay up front with a usually hard slog up to the top.

Theres a few friendly groups in the parish, best bet is go see Steve at Bikeanics (buy an inner tube !) he will point you in the right direction.

You can pm me, if Im out next weekend youre more than welcome to join.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

I did a route a few weeks ago starting in Stalybridge, up Mottram.Road, left up the top of the hill, up the lane then over the farmers feilds to Hobsons Trig. You can then head over towards the reservoirs via the Oldham Way and PBW. The is a Tarmac climb up to Chew Res. I then sort of doubled back then along the ridge line then headed back down around the back of the quarry. The ridge line track from Chew Res (with the drop and Tarmac road climb to the right) is only partially rideable and a bit of a slog to carry the bike. All the bridleway stuff is straight forward and the descent at the start from the trig line and singletrack down to the quarries are pretty good.

slimporcini
    Free Member

The riding round there is mint! Proper steep rocky trails. I live in Mossley and tend to include alphin in pretty much any ride I do.

jamesross
    Free Member

Sounds like there is plenty of good riding to be had, all the suggestions are appreciated. Cheekyboy that is a very Kind offer and I will definitely take you up on it sometime. Unfortunately with a 2 week old baby it is not easy to make any commitments! I will definitely show my face once the Baby gets into a routine!

MadBillMcMad

The descent off Alphin is amazing, must be one of the best natural downs anywhere

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dovestone reservoir rides’ is closed to new replies.