Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Doveridge, south Derbyshire – anyone know it?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Unearthed this place as a potential for Mr and Mrs M's "escape to the country", it's not quite the Peak but it would be convenient for my work and any number of options for her.

Anyone got any intel on the area? TIA if you have.

iDave
    Free Member

lots of noise from the A50, but nice village, close to Uttoxeter, good MTBing in Dimmingsdale about 7 miles away, Peak isn't far. Main thing is traffic noise. My ex's parents live nearby and their stately home is marred by noise. Best check it out, as some parts may be quieter.

iDave
    Free Member

Also try Marchington or Abbots Bromley.

munkster
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the re-assurance on the village itself. Viewed a property there today and the traffic wasn't that noticeable so I guess it depends on precise location… Checked out those other two places on a map; too far south I'm afraid, ideally would want to be north of the A50, Doveridge seems pretty well placed for our needs. Thanks though, appreciate the comments.

iDave
    Free Member

Wind direction affects the traffic noise a lot too. Odd fact – Tim Gould is one of the postmen, at least last time I spoke to him he'd just collected from the post office there as I walked in. Great pub in Sudbury down the road.

munkster
    Free Member

Odd fact – Tim Gould is one of the postmen, at least last time I spoke to him he'd just collected from the post office there as I walked in.

You've lost me there old son 😉

munkster
    Free Member

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? 🙂

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Doveridge is a lovely spot….even better if you like fishing. Spent many a happy hour fishing the river there.
    Another bonus is it's proximity to Stoke.

munkster
    Free Member

Two votes "for" – great stuff! Not been fishing since I were a lad, could always start again, cheers…

iDave
    Free Member

tut

yeah forgot about the fishing. Uttoxeter 2 miles away has new cinema, tescos, maybe two almost ok restaurants and a racecourse. small market town with great opportunity for giving high 7s

munkster
    Free Member

tut

Sorry sir… 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Doveridge is a nice place – precise location and wind direction will be the main factors regarding the noise from the A50.

I like Sudbury, very much an estate village, but tourist hell with the Hall and Museum of Childhood. Depending where you need to get to for work, there are several nice villages north of the A50 around there, but quite a few are low on facilities or buses.

I only know the Derbyshire side of the border, but if you are looking at Doveridge, I'd consider a triangle based on Doveridge, Etwall/Findern and Ashbourne. Lots of nice places, close to good riding, good road links, but you pay for the privilege

People seem to be overlooking the fact that there's an open prison at Sudbury.

munkster
    Free Member

One more attraction to add to the list, then! 😆

iDave
    Free Member

friends in Sudbury have never had any negatives from the prison – surely it only contains bent accountants knitting hats for Africa?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Doveridge, south Derbyshire – anyone know it?’ is closed to new replies.