Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Double/Bash question
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

Am I right to think that you can’t install a bash ring and 2 chainrings on a double MTB chainset ?

I’m currently running a bash/double setup but using a triple chainset. I’m looking at replacing this chainset, but most options I’m looking at are double only.

Presumably it’ll become harder to find new triple cranks, in which case, what will people do if they’re running a bash ring with double ?

creamegg
    Free Member

There are plenty of triple cranks around- what type are you looking at?

You could use a Hope integrated bash on a double set up if you really wanted to, and there may be other options. But plenty of triple cranks out there, unless things have changed drastically in the last 6 months?

BillOddie

Blackspire make a bashring for double cranks like the new XT/SLX ones.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m not keen on those integrated bash chainrings – presumably you have to ditch the bash when the chainring teeth wear out ? But the fact they’re on the market shows that there’s a move towards double cranks.

I’m currently running RaceFace Atlas triple cranks, and like the double Turbine model. There is a triple version of the Turbine – it’s just that I’d rather have the improved chainline that a double gets you. It seems to me that when you buy a double/bash chainset you’re actually just getting a triple crank. My problem with triple cranks is that the rings are a bit too far inwards and in really muddy conditions if I get chainsuck on the 38T, it damages the chainstay. A double crank should bring that ring out slightly.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Bill – just re-read your post, I think those Blackspurs look like the answer. But presumably they just rest on top of the outer chainring and are not supported by the crank’s spider ? I could just do that with my existing bash…but I don’t think it would be a good idea.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Double/Bash question’ is closed to new replies.