Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Double Summer time- Where is the petition to sign up?
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Just as it says… Bring on the extra daylight in the evenings.

ahwiles
    Free Member

http://www.lighterlater.org

every year we set our clocks so that we get less sunlight in our lives, sleeping through the sunlit mornings while we use expensive lights to keep out the dark nights

crazy-legs

Where’s the petition to say “it’s perfectly fine as it is, stop messing around with things”?

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, but it’s not perfectly fine…

what’s the point of setting our clocks so that the sun rises hours before 95% of the population is awake, and sets all-too-soon after 95% of the population are allowed out to play?

for 9months of the year, we’d get an extra hour of daylight for free, by shifting it from the morning. The other 3 months are winter – when it’s dark all the time anyway.

cue: arguments, etc.

ashfanman
    Free Member

The environmental benefits are obvious and any boost to the economy would of course be welcome, but let’s face it, we’re only interested in one thing: MORE MIDWEEK RIDING TIME. That’s a compelling enough argument for me. :mrgreen:

imnotverygood

Sorry, but for a start it means limiting the amount of riding you can do in the dark and, for me, night riding is some of the best there is.

druidh
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member
    Where’s the petition to say “it’s perfectly fine as it is, stop messing around with things”?

Quite.

Since we’re already going to have a referendum in a few weeks, why don’t they just tag this question onto it?

crazy-legs

I sometimes used to get out the house at 4.30am on summer weekday mornings when I was off-shift, head up to the Lakes (30 mins drive away), get a 2-3hr ride in, head to the cafe for breakfast. Stunning weather in the mornings, never a soul around, I loved the early light mornings.

It’s not a problem with the arbitary concept of time, it’s a problem with people being used to the much more concrete concept of working or being at school 9-5.

tomaso
    Free Member

s not a problem with the arbitary concept of time, it’s a problem with people being used to the much more concrete concept of working or being at school 9-5.

Or having to do both?

I am wary of it still being dark at 9am for most of December and some of January.

However, I love sunshine after work and getting more would not be turned down.

Sanny
    Free Member

Aye. Good luck with that. The decision is effectively a devolved matter for the Scottish Parliament. There is one Tory MP in Scotland and a handful of MSPs. Coupled with what will be a no doubt vociferous campaign from anyone in Scotland with kids at school – try explaining to a parent that their kid should go to school in the dark in Winter and see the reaction you get. One solution could be to change core hours for schools to 10 – 5. Again, the inconvenience this would cause to working parents is a non starter. Double summertime would be less of an issue but any party that presses for it in winter in Scotland is committing electoral suicide. The Tories can do that as they have mandate to govern Scotland and don’t rely on the Scottish vote for their core support. The SNP are opposed to it and I suspect Labour will be too. The Libs are likely to be marginalized in the Holyrood elections based on the latest polls so the chances of this getting passed are very slim indeed.

sod the jocks, I want sun down here in flat beer nancy land!!! 😉

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Sanny, How on earth is it a decision for the Scottish parliament? Not having a go, just not getting it at all.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Double Summer time- Where is the petition to sign up?’ is closed to new replies.