Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Double specific front mechs
  • Dickyboy

Are there any other double specific bottom (conventional) swing front mechs other than the SLX m667 ones available? Looking for something cheaper as can't justify £30 for a new one on this build & top swing won't fit due to frame bracing between seat tube & down tube. Thanks

alanf
    Free Member

There's Saint, but you need a 83mm BB (or whatever size it is) and its probably more expensive than SLX too.
    Other than those I'm not aware of any although the 2011 stuff from Shimano may have some other double specific mechs

RealMan
    Free Member

You do know you can just use a triple front mech?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GaryLake
    Free Member

I've always ran triple mechs with the limiter screw maxed out.

Dickyboy

Tried fitting an LX triple mech & the end of the cage hits the chainstay before it is anywhere near the 32t chainring, think I might have to look at it again & see where I'm going wrong.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

if you are using a triple mech set it up at the height as if the big ring is still there

i now use an slx double one which shifts nicer but the triple one can work just fine

clubber
    Free Member

I found that I was constantly dropping the chain with a triple so got an SLX double and it’s not happened since. I know plenty of other people seem to manage fine with triple front mechs though.

swarren27
    Free Member
    PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I manage fine with an old LX triple – couldn’t fit an SLX double on my Five due to the swingarm.

Dickyboy

got one for £8.20 on ebay 🙂

Northwind

The SLX one feels pretty cheap but it’s lighter than an XT and it works better IMO- very easy to set up and seems to keep the chain on just a little better. Standard triple is absolutely fine of course but there’s no reason not to use a double IMO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Double specific front mechs’ is closed to new replies.