Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Double set up using TA chainrings.
  • paul78
    Free Member

Seen a few people have set up an xc double set up using TA 28/40 chainrings in inner/middle positions..

Is it easy as just single chainring bolts for middle position and set limits on front mech??

What is range like when in inner 28 ?? can you still get most of the cassette??

Marge
    Free Member

I haven't done it but a mate has & it was very very tight on his frame….
    He rides a Trek 8500.
    Other than that simple & neat.

giantjason
    Free Member

all depends where you ride as to what gearing will suit you.

i am currently setup with a 22/36 double and looking at changing that to 24/38 to give a bit more scope.

as you say you just change the limit setting on the front mech. for my double setup i had to use long chainring bolts for the middle position but i was running a bash guard.

depending on how you space out your cranks and the resulting chainline you may be able to get to use all the gears e.g. small to small cogs

paul78
    Free Member

Its really an endurance racing set up so 28/40 would be perfect on my 29er…

Never thought of clearance.. very good point

lovewookie

I run a 28/40 setup, yep, as simple as single ring chainring blts and adjust the stop on the front mech.

Get on quite nicely with that and a SLX 11-28 cassette.

(moved from a 22/32/44 and an Ultegra 12-27)

Oh and with a 68mm BB shell and XT cranks.

paul78
    Free Member

Awesome.. i'll get some ordered .. thanks 🙂

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Just changed to a 40 x 28 with 11-34 at the back. I use all the cogs on the 40 but only really use the top 5 on the 28.

I can get the lower ones but the drive train gets a bit noisy.

As above bought the rings and single bolts, adjusted the height and limit screws on the front mech. Job done.

Only ridden a couple of times but it is feels a good set up. If only SRAM would make a 10sp grip shift!

Regards

paul78
    Free Member

Got Chainrings and bolts…

Does inner need spacing at all as with both rings mounted with writing out it looks awfully close… even turning the inner ring the other way around the gap between the 2 rings looks like.

Rings mounted on XTR 970 cranks.. look great.

lovewookie

It should be fine. I've not spaced out the chainrings on my XT chainset.

Try it, if it rubs on the middle then you may want to use spacers.

TBH though I've not used the 28T much.

njee20
    Free Member

With the M970 cranks you need some M8x2mm spacers on the granny ring, as you've found, it's too close. It's because Shimano in their infinite wisdom made the M970 granny ring 2mm thicker, so although it's a standard BCD you can't use any other rings without modification!

paul78
    Free Member

Excellent thanks 🙂

paul78
    Free Member

.. oh and when i have spacers is it inner ring writing facing out or in as the ring is offset too??

njee20
    Free Member

Writing out, just as normal. Like this:

Hornet600
    Free Member

Looks good Njee20, it's good to see a picture, as I was trying to see what the spider looks like with the outer chainring.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Double set up using TA chainrings.’ is closed to new replies.