Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Double only road STI?
  • aracer
    Free Member

For 8-speed you definitely had to get a triple specific road STI, and Shimano seem to have gone that way again with 10 speed. However I was fairly sure that all 9-speed Ultegra would shift either double or triple – certainly both of those that I have (bought for use with a double) will also shift a triple.

What is Chipps on?

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve not bought an Ultegra STI for ages that does a triple, as far as i know. Both my ultegra STI’s now are on doubles and work fine, one of them is ten speed.

wors

105 does both

schmiken

It’s old school Ultegra – you had to get either double or triple specific. If you read the article it’s NOS stuff.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s old school Ultegra – you had to get either double or triple specific. If you read the article it’s NOS stuff.

But that’s the whole point. It’s old 9-speed Ultegra he’s using, and that did work for either double or triple. You have to go back to 8-speed for it to be double only (or forward to 10-speed). As I said in the OP, I do own two pairs of 9-speed Ultegra STIs – the first set were some of the very first in the country I had on pre-order, bought as part of a complete double groupset, yet now happily shifting the triple on the tandem. The second set were the flight-deck version (originals weren’t), but identical mechanically. That’s 6500 and 6501 covered – the only other version I’m aware of are 6510 which are on sale at CRC where they state double and triple compatible (the piccy in the article looks like 6510).

grumm
    Free Member

I am confused by this – on my 10 speed Ultegra STIs the front was described as double only, but it has 3 click positions.

aracer
    Free Member

Probably a trim click (assuming they are actually the double only version – those do exist with 10-speed). On 9-speed there is also a trim click between the ring positions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Double only road STI?’ is closed to new replies.