Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Double grazing help in the midlands
  • andyfla
    Free Member

We are looking to get double glazing replaced in our house, any advice of companies to go to in the midlands (derby) ?

The likes of Everest seem very expensive, are they worth it ?

thepurist

Double grazing? How many room-inants in the house? 😉

Everest – do not touch with a barge pole on the end of a sh!tty stick. The salesman will come round, set up a campsite in your front room and stay for 3 days while trying to sell you double glazing at an astronomic price. They’ll then phone the director and offfer you a massive discount down to a horrendous price, finally leave once you decline that then phone up a day or two later to offer a further discount to an astounding price. A week or so after that they’ll get back in touch to offer even more discount to a simply outrageous price that any of your local independant types could still have beaten with a 20 minute visit including a chat over a cuppa.

tutgareth
    Free Member

try anglian they manufacture their windows come with 15yrs guarantee and are good quality, think everest are similar too, weve just got the whole house including front door and bifolding patio door for £9k which is about £3K cheaper than anyone else. Dont be afraid to barter on price with these window firms

globalti
    Free Member

And I thought this was a thread about farming.

My advice: steer clear of the big nationals and use a local family firm. The big ones have targets and the blokes will glue the frames in using foam then scarper, leaving their snagging gangs to put it all right later. Don’t ask me how I know this.

trail_rat
    Free Member

everest salesman told my mate they could fit his windows in the third floor flat without a cherry picker (and subsequently closing the road outside)

i told him they couldnt.

the workies came – said , we need a cherry picker and a road closure licence for that.

not their finest moment im sure – but equally im sure its not their worst.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I did a set of drawings showing exactly the design and sizes I wanted then got four companies round to quote. There were three small local outfit plus one larger regional one.

When then came round I made it clear to them that they were to give me a single price and thats it, no messing about phoning bosses etc. I had quotes ranging from £1300 to £6500.

The large company were the most expensive and interestingly they were pushing me very hard to have externally glazed windows which I certainly didn’t like the sound of (and was proven right on a later job we did but that’s another story).

One fact I gleaned from chatting to the reps was that there are only two companies who make the UPVC extrusion used to manufacture the windows (most of the window installers assemble the windows themselves) so in effect whatever the price the quote you are paying for the same windows (assuming the glass spec is the same).

globalti
    Free Member

That “phone the boss” lark is sooo tired, it’s amazing that reps stil do it.

mrmo
    Free Member

One fact I gleaned from chatting to the reps was that there are only two companies who make the UPVC extrusion used to manufacture the windows

you sure about this? Duraflex, Rehau, plus a few others make extrusions, used to sell comp doors to installers. All different shades of white.

Don’t touch the big installers, targets are the only thing that matters, smaller guys tend to be more honest, but there are alot of coyboys out there!!!

Edukator
    Free Member

Thyssen frames kept cropping up when I ordered triple-glazed windows. By checking on the companies under the wing of a major group with an excellent reputation (15 000 windows a year) I found an Internet sales outlet. Same windows (frames, glass and fittings) at 2/3 of the price.

I installed myself, one of the easier DIY jobs I’ve done and I’m sure I paid much more attention to insulating around the frames to cut the thermal bridge than an installer would have done.

Edit: double for windows that get Winter sun, triple for the rest.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

mrmo – that’s just what I was told at the time although it was a few years ago now (by more than one of the reps as well)!!

Rehau seem to be the most common.

Clover

What no sheep and cows sharing a field thread? Disappointed…
    😀

stumpyjon

Profile 22, Spectus, Synseal to name three more profile manufacturers, and I think Anglian do produce their own profile although their consevatories are rebranded Ultraframe (as are Everest ones). The profiles are fairly similar though, all basically a chambered box section. The glass is more important, ask the salesman about the U value, lower is better, rather than swallowing the energy rating. We’re in the same boat, had three quotes so far, traditional chain, stupid price, irrirating salesman, very unprofessional, local firm much better initial price, knew his stuff and professional and a bunch of local guys personally recommended, still waiting for their quote. The last lot weren’t very slick but did survey the house well for the quote. My preference at the moment is the middle one, established business with showroom, not taking the wee wee.

andyfla
    Free Member

Cheers for the help, I am probably more confused now after chatting to a few guys than I was at the start to be honest.

Another guy booked in tomorrow

marcus
    Free Member

Just hand some windows done in Belper by Windows 2000 who are based in Ripley. – Smallish outfit, with a non-pushy, but knowledgable owner who does the initial ‘selling’. I’m happy with the windows and fitting.

andyfla
    Free Member

Marcus, cheers any tips on what I need to ask ?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Vintage windows. Use liniar range (hlplastics) good quality gear and I endorse their range as I build their factories.

jeffl

We’ve used Polar Windows for a few windows. Prices seemed ok, windows still work after about 4 years. I’m in Chesterfield but they cover Derby.

scaredypants

Cud you DIY ? Chew it over; you may save a fortune

bedmaker

Aaah , dubba grazing

ssboggy

If you’re near Ripley windows 2000 are worth asking for a price, small local company without the pushy sales

cfinnimore
    Free Member

bedmaker, karma’s gonna batter you.

🙂

neilc1881
    Free Member

Damn it,I thought this would tell me how to get twice as much grass for the ewes!

andyfla
    Free Member

Sorry there is no grazing advice, my apologies

Scaredypants – DIY not an option, I could do it, but as it took me 18 months to do the bathroom her indoors would put the veto on it.

Alphabet

Everest told my father (after several phone calls offering ever more discounts) that if he didn’t order that day then he’d loose the only remaining slot in the factory and would have to wait over a year for his windows 😆

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Polar windows were one of the companies I had round – externally glazed and £6500!

BillMC

Just as a guideline I had four windows made up last year and had the builder fit them who was doing up my place. The windows were hi-tec and cost me £750. The firm was in Corby.

crofts2007
    Free Member

Try the below link.

http://www.yell.com/b/Morestyle+UK+Ltd-Double+Glazing+Materials-
    nottingham-NG150DQ-901296487/

Small independent, uses good quality 70mm internally beaded profile (more secure) with good hardware. Does supply/fit or supply only.
    Has done two of my houses with no problems.

andyfla
    Free Member

Crofts, I shall give them a go
    Cheers

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Double grazing help in the midlands’ is closed to new replies.