Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Double glazed external doors (exciting huh?)
  • cinnamon_girl

Door really needs replacing but just about fell off my perch when quoted nearly £700 for a narrow fugly upvc door. This was from a local company, not a multi-national.

So … you can buy direct from manufacturer and get a tradesman to fit. Has anyone done this? What would it cost to fit? Any problems with measurements?

Naturally apologies for such a dull subject but I bet there's at least one person on STW who has an answer 😉

Thank you so much!

Dango
    Free Member

Theres loads of companies on line, heres one: http://www.uktradeframe.co.uk/quoter_doors_2.php

No manufacturer will deal with you direct as all they do are manufacture the extrusions, a fabricator will then use the extrusions and add the glass

Rehau is a pretty good brand

I've fitted a few doors and windows at home, dead easy if you are ok with DIY, measuring, you just take the smallest dimension in an opening ie if its 905mm wide at the top and 899 at the bottom, then the size you order is 889mm (smallest – 10mm for the silicone)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does it have to be plastic? Could you get a local joiner to make one to fit? We did just that (double opening double glazed, European oak etc). No idea how much it cost as it was part of a much bigger job. But it looks a million times better than a white plastic door. Or even worse, a brown plastic one made to look approximately like it might be a cheap imitation of real wood.

Dango
    Free Member

Ive just ordered three windows and a back door for less than £800 delivered and inc VAT, so £700 will be £350 plus their mark up, often the seller buys from someone else, mine have been bought from a company in Surrey but I have found out they buy from a factory in Kent that doesnt deal with the public or builders only glazing companies

I had three prices
    £800 inc vat (accepted credit cards)
    £940 no vat/cash only*
    £1100 no vat/cash only*

* no warrenty either probably

All using the same profiles, so it pays to shop around

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would be looking at a hardwood door for sure – UPVC is ugly and does not last long – looks shabby in a few years and average life 25 yrs – whereas hardwood lasts almost indefiniatly if maintained

Dango
    Free Member

Plastic no maintenance though, horses for courses, some people wont want to sand down and treat their door every few years

Timber does look nicer though

wors

i paid £400 for a door and small window at the side of the door with toughened glass, and fitted myself, not difficult.

Dango
    Free Member

Use the first website I posted to give you a price and then buy locally http://www.rehauauthorisedpartners.co.uk/ for less if you can

cinnamon_girl

Ooooh, thought I wasn't going to get any replies! Thanks everyone 🙂

Dango – thanks for that link and, yes, it did come out considerably cheaper so will follow that through.

Everyone else – I know upvc is horrible but the rest of the house is like it except for my stable style back door. Might look nice but is draughty, sometimes hard to open and shut, water comes through and is not very secure. Life's too short for DIY/home maintenance cos I would rather be riding my bike 🙂

Any idea what it would cost to have someone measure up and fit the door please?

Dango
    Free Member

YGM, good luck, they should be able to fit too, or try another supplier using that search engine

🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

http://www.premdor.co.uk

we sell through your usual Builders' Merchants, eg Jewson, Travis Perkins, etc

bear-uk
    Free Member

Don't go for UPVC unless it is really what you want. Composite is the way forward. Different prices depending on what furniture, colour and locking mechanism fitted. Also check to see if a low threshold would be more suitable for your requirements. Fitted loads, part of my job description!! PS It is not recommended to fit a fully panelled dark door to a South facing position.

allthepies
    Free Member

>PS It is not recommended to fit a fully panelled dark door to a South facing position.

Bear – what happens ? Door warps ?

bear-uk
    Free Member

Yep.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Double glazed external doors (exciting huh?)’ is closed to new replies.