Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Double gearing higher or lower on 29ers? No versus debates pls
  • londonerinoz
    Free Member

Genuine question, do you run higher or lower double gearing with a 29er? Probably obvious to some, but I can imagine it might be harder to get on top of higher gears, but it feels easier to me.

I came from a 26er mostly using the 32 middle ring on my triple chainset, even when climbing, with a 32 9 speed cassette. My new 29er came with a standard double and a 36 10 speed cassette, and I’m mostly using the bigger ring.

I’m therefore also wondering if running a similar double on my 26er would have me pushing myself on a bit faster.

I’m hoping we can discuss this without having a one is better than the other debate.

weeksy

i run a 36T middle, used to run a 32T… However when fitting the 36T it was part of the SLX Double/Bash combo, so i do have the option of the 22T front. However i’m yet to use it apart from 1 small drop onto it.

TBh i think it makes such a small difference to be really signficant from our reply perspective.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Oh, is 38/24 not a standard double then?

takisawa2

The 36 at the back of the 29er is like having a 34 at the back of your 26er, so it will feel a tiny bit easier anyway, if your used to using a 32t. (Assuming your 29er front is still a 32t).

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Sorry, it seems I haven’t been very clear, I’m not riding round on the bottom gears of the cassette all the time. I normally reserve the last 2 or 3 gears for use with the smaller front ring on the double to avoid cross chaining. I do miss my gear windows though with I-Spec.

monkeyboyjc

I’m currently running 26/38 with a 11/32 cassette – i only use the ‘big’ 38t ring in and around Bristol, but then i only use the ‘little’ 26t ring on trips to Wales – it all depends on the type of riding you do and where you live….

clubber
    Free Member

A 29er wheel is approx 10% bigger than a 26″ wheel so it’s effectively geared 10% HIGHER

so, to get the same gearing as a 26″ bike, you need 10% LOWER gear – meaning either a 10% smaller front chainring (eg 26″ 38t – 10% = 34.2 so a 34 on a 29er) or a 10% bigger rear sprocket (eg 26″ 32t cassette gear = 32 + 10% = 35.2 = 36t)

londonerinoz
    Free Member

That sounds like an excellent ready reckoner clubber.

If I’ve got this right it would also suggest that if I’m happy with the higher gears on the 29er then I should be able to go 10% higher on the 26er with a double or cassette, or perhaps most cost effectively swap my 44 triple big ring for a 42 which I might actually use.

clubber
    Free Member

If I’ve got this right it would also suggest that if I’m happy with the higher gears on the 29er then I should be able to go 10% higher on the 26er

Yes though I didn’t really understand your bit after that.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Cheers for that.

I’m feeling ill at the moment, so maybe that’s why I’m not managing to be clearer.

My 26er is 9 speed with a 44/32/22 chainset and a 11-32 cassette. +10% on a 38/24 double would imply a 42 bigger ring or retaining the current 32 cassette, but swapping the triple’s 44 for a 42 would be cheaper and retain the bottom range currently available with the granny and cassette.

clubber
    Free Member

I think I’ve got it now. There’s no such thing as a ‘standard double’ but I think you mean you’ve got a 38/24 and 11-36 on your 29er and 22/32/44 and 11-32 on your 26″, right?

If so, 32/42 on your 26″ would be the equivalent of the chainset on your 29er but because you’ve got a smaller cassette on your 26″ bike it wouldn’t have as low gears as the 29er.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Yup, except that I’m thinking instead of getting a double for the 26er, that I can change my triple to 42/32/22 which would be much cheaper just buying 1 ring.

Cheers.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m not sure there’d be any point to that – why not just stick with the gearing you already have if you’re going to have a triple anyway?

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you don’t like your iSpec shifters, do you wanna swap?

What are they, SLX, XT?

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Because I rarely use the 44 but the 42 equates to the 38 on the 29er, so hopefully I’d use it.

Too early before I’d seriously consider swapping XT I-Spec from Australia! I’m sure I’ll get used to them.

Actually that reminds me though, Shimano still warn against cross chaining with a double, but it doesn’t seem like it would be much worse than a single chainring to a 10 speed cassette.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Double gearing higher or lower on 29ers? No versus debates pls’ is closed to new replies.