Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Double Climb Up Snowdon
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Anyone done this:

Start at the Ranger Station.
    Up the first part of the Ranger Path then over to Llanberis via the Maesgwyn path.
    Up to the summit via the railway path.
    Down the Ranger path.
    Along the A4085 to Tan Y Lyn.
    Up to the summit via the Rhyd Ddu path.
    Down the railway path to Llanberis.
    Back across Maesgwyn to the Ranger station.

It’s on a few web sites but with not much description and no times.
    Doable ? worth it ? or just mental ?

Doing it in some form or other this Saturday, I think.

dyls

I wouldnt want to push up the rangers, id push/cycle up llanberis, descend the rangers until it joins bwlch maesgwm and down that.

lowey

I wouldnt want to push up the rangers, id push/cycle up llanberis, descend the rangers until it joins bwlch maesgwm and down that.

He’s not. That would be a good day out mate. The climb up Rhyd Du would be brutal though.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

i think i would do:

ranger -maesgwyn up llanberis.

down ranger, back over maesgwyn, back up llanberis an then down rhyd-ddu and back along the road (via a few in the pub)

means doing llanberis climb twice but you get to do the two best techier descents.

big day. enjoy!

excitable1
    Free Member

i think i would do:

ranger -maesgwyn up llanberis.

down ranger, back over maesgwyn, back up llanberis an then down rhyd-ddu and back along the road (via a few in the pub)

Not a bad idea, I was thinking the Llanberis down would be a nice easy one at the end, but two techy downs might be better.

excitable1
    Free Member

How long do you think (hours not km) ?

scary_carey
    Free Member

We did: Lanberis up – Down Ranger back up and down Lanberis. From memory it took up roughly six hours. We started coming down the Lanberis at about 5pm and there wasn’t a soul on it…. wish it was like that all the time:)

excitable1
    Free Member

I’m going to head out & get an early start hoping to avoid the madding crowds.

The Rhydd ddu path down looks too good to miss !

joao3v16
    Free Member

Start at the Ranger Station.
    Up the first part of the Ranger Path then over to Llanberis via the Maesgwyn path.
    Up to the summit via the railway path.
    Down the Ranger path.
    Along the A4085 to Tan Y Lyn.
    Up to the summit via the Rhyd Ddu path.
    Down the railway path to Llanberis.
    Back across Maesgwyn to the Ranger station.

Up Rhyd Ddu would be a swine.

If I were planning two ascents of Snowdon I’d go:
    1. Up Llanberis, down Ranger, back to Llanberis over Maesgwyn
    2. Up Llanberis, down Rhyd Ddu, pick up Ranger, back to Llanberis over Maesgwyn

excitable1
    Free Member

Reporting in…

Went up 2 weeks ago during the nations freak heatwave only to find that Snowdon was the only place shrouded in cloud and blowing a gail, but I did Llanberis up and the Rhyd Ddu down, then Maesgwyn back into Lllanberis. The Rhyd Ddu path is exhausting and the gail force wind along the ridge from the summit made it impossible to ride the first section… so I gave up on the idea of a second climb and left feeling defeated.

Stubburn as I am I went back this weekend. Glorious sunshine, not a cloud in the sky and no where near as busy. So the chosen route which I would highly recommend…

1. Llanberis up all the way to the summit
    2. Llanberis all the way down to the gate at the top of the tarmac road
    3. Llanberis back up to the junction with the Rangers path
    4. Rangers path down to Maesgwyn
    5. Up & over Maesgwyn & back down into Llanberis

Took 4 hrs 55mins, 3L of hydro water, a couple of energy bars and some energy Jelly Beans (and still got cramp on the Rangers like I’ve never had before !). To show for it, a couple of big chips out my frame, only 3/4 of a Jockey wheel left and the seat ripped out of my shorts, but a smile from ear to ear.

That Rhyd Ddu path is not one to be combined with a double climb especially as it adds in the climb up the switch backs on the first section of the Rangers path that no one sees if they just come down the Rangers from the summit. A proper energy sapper !!!

There was a bunch of riders at the top of Maesgwyn who let me go down before them so if any of you on here thanks and sorry… they got to see a lot more of me than they’d anticipated… that’s when I caught the saddle in the growing hole of my shorts. As I sped off and started jumping over the drainage channels my shorts snagged completely on the saddle so I had no option than to do a full on tear and leave my arse hanging !!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Double Climb Up Snowdon’ is closed to new replies.