Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Double chainring chainsets – NOT WITH BASHGUARD
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

That may be the answer luke – its the big jumps in ratio i don't like from being hard to too easy in 1 easy step!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It's good- got used to it after going 10 speed on the road bike with a small cassette.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

bought the rings and bolts – will give 24/36 a whirl

robdob
    Free Member

Just for a bit of balance, I changed from a triple to a 24/36/bash set up. I found the 36t too big, too much of a jump from the 22. And rather oddly, I kept bending the middle ring. No idea why, might be the bigger gap between the rings making more leverage on the middle ring when you change up. Been reasonably careful changing gears too.
    I'll second the triple being better for the Peaks too.

Soooo, anyone want an e13 36t bashguard?? 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No ta, Bashguards are so last year. 😉

Northwind

I've run just no big ring for a while and it's been fine. The only downside is that if you do manage to drop the chain off the high side, it'll generally not pedal back on as you lack the shifting pins to do it. So, I got a Superlite "bash ring" which would probably bend in half if you look at it funny, but keeps the chain on and still weighs less than the big ring.

"Obi_Twa – Member

I see a big problem with just taking the big ring off a triple to make it into a double. That problem being the absence of a big ring. Unless you live at the bottom of a well and have to ride out every day I dont see why you would want only a middle and granny set up"

If you go with 36T for the middle you lose only the top 2 and a half gears, which you very, very rarely use offroad. I thought the same as you til I did the numbers and tried it, but it turns out I knew nothing.

njee20
    Free Member

Horses for courses and that, but I found 28/40 very good for XC, yes 36 is sufficient, but you are more likely to spin out on the road and spend a vast amount of time right at the bottom of the block. I would personally say a 22/24 is not much use either, but it does rather depend on what/where/how you ride!

Can't be doing with close ratio cassettes, have to shift on the front the whole time! I've never had a problem with the jumps in an MTB cassette personally.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I'd say a 40T would be great for your local, but I'd really suffer without a 22 for my pedalling style and local trails. I even use the 22t a lot in races.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Horses for courses and that, but I found 28/40 very good for XC, yes 36 is sufficient, but you are more likely to spin out on the road and spend a vast amount of time right at the bottom of the block. I would personally say a 22/24 is not much use either, but it does rather depend on what/where/how you ride!

Todays pentlands ride saw a lot of 22 ring useage by all of us – and none cleaned the climbs even so.

Where can I get a 20 granny ring?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

tj do you have legs like an ethiopian?

Shandy
    Free Member

He has legs like tree trunks, its just the extra weight of the bashguard holding him back.

_tom_
    Free Member

Bash guards look cleaner and stop you from nackering your chain if you catch the ring on anything. Don't see why you wouldn't want to run one, double without looks horrible. Weight is negligible and you can have em for cheap, mine was about a fiver.

clubber
    Free Member

Bash guards don't look cleaner – they're just an additional bit added on. I can't remember the last time I damaged a tooth on a big ring let alone a middle ring sized chainring on a double setup so would I bother? Maybe you should fit a trouser guard and a chainguard to your bike too as they look cleaner as well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GeeWavetree – Member

tj do you have legs like an ethiopian?

Nope – just ride up hills. 9 of us out last night – not one made it up the howden climb. It is possible but you really need to be very fit and a nice low gear is essential.

njee20
    Free Member

Looks alright to me…

I did say it entirely depends on your bike/terrain/riding style, but I've not found any problems with a 28 personally anywhere I've ridden. In fact in the last few years I've made my ratios smaller, used to run 32/44, then 42/30, then 40/28 when I was on 9 speed. I've not used a 22 for about 5 years. Compared to what singlespeeders run a 28/34 or whatever is a tiny gear!

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

I am finding i am riding in the middle ring and full cassette range most of the time and then dropping to the bottom but finding the 34 at the back far to spinny.
    Will give it a go – whats £22!!

_tom_
    Free Member

Bash guards don't look cleaner – they're just an additional bit added on.

Dunno, in my opinion they just give a "simpler" look – I don't like seeing "through" the outer ring into the spider, granny etc. On a single ring setup with a decent ss ring (like on a bmx) I do like the bash-less look though.

juan
    Free Member

Is Obi_Twa the new njee?
    A lot of people pedal the wrong manner, other like njee are so good that they can get the 42/11 everywhere (even up some hills).
    Going fast has more about how fast you can pedal and most important how well you can pic a trajectory.
    In the typical njeesque wood (hampshire) save the odd fire-road, you're not much faster with a gear bike than with a SS* (peter can vouch for that on the numerous ride we did together). If you look to the MM results, solo SSers aren't much slowers than solo geared people.
    So a 32×11 will be plenty enough. Obvisouly if you like to ride your mountain bike on flat lands or on the road, maybe you should get a cross bike.
    Back to the OP, keep your 32/22 and see how you get with it. Cheapest will probably be some short chain bolt. Once the 32 is dead you can change it for a 36. If average riders like me can get away with 32/22 everyone can I only miss a bigger gear when we're going down from the trail to the city center, on the road.
    *that doesn't apply to njee indeed.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Can anyone smell chip fat?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Juan – Where are you right now? Hampshire? Are you deserting me???? 😉

njee20
    Free Member

You're a very odd fellow Juan! You're also very very bad at trying to antagonise me. You got my location wrong for a start!

I'm looking forward to you getting a job so you can buy me those tickets to come and ride with you!

juan
    Free Member

Sorry peter still in the south of France
    setting up for a ride as we speak 😀

njee20
    Free Member

That's a shame, I was hoping you'd be able to join our ride on Sunday, or are you riding up to meet us!?

traildog
    Free Member

Answering the original question, as well as the Middleburn DUO, there is also the FSA 386. There are a few other more obscure ones as well. KCNC I think do a double?

A lot of the very fasted people in the world have been running single 38s or 36s so losing a 44 is no big deal. A lot depends on your pedalling style, but I like to spin rather than grunt. Having said that, if I fail on a climb it's probably more to do with lack of fitness and technical ability than gearing. In other words, lower gears wouldn't have helped.

I'm running 32-22 and I'm under geared and will up it when it wears. I'm running a lightweight bash for protection, the bash has actually taken a battering. I have no problems running without, looks fine IMHO, just a bash is better for that bike.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Double chainring chainsets – NOT WITH BASHGUARD’ is closed to new replies.