Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Double Bike Trailer Recommendations?
  • piemistress
    Free Member

Hi,

Am starting to look at double bike trailers for a 9 month old and 3 year old. Would like to get something pretty decent but not outrageously expensive (Chariot), maybe a Burley or a Croozer. preferably one which also converts to a pram.

Any recommendations? Many thanks Pie

puppypower
    Free Member

We have a chariot, bought 2nd hand. However, know a few people with the croozers, and they are all very happy with them. They look great, and also they have loads of storage space, which looks handy (much more than our chariot)

piemistress
    Free Member

Cheers, frustratingly there aren’t any shops near me that stock double trailers so I can have a look. Does yours have a soft or hard base?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Where you based?
    I’m in Manchester and have a double Chariot which we probably ought to sell.

piemistress
    Free Member

Unfortunately miles away from Manchester in Aberdeen!

ransos
    Free Member

My single croozer only just fits through the pinch gates you often find on cycle paths – so have a think about where you want to cycle.

puppypower
    Free Member

Um, I think it’s somewhere in between. It’s not just fabric but it’s not made of hard plastic (like I think the burley ones are). It’s about 10 years old and still going strong!

I will check for you.

Re them being too narrow, we worried about that, but actually the double fits through most things (just) on cycle paths. The doubles are actually not that much wider than the singles. I ride on a lot of cycle routes where there a lot of these gates, and it fits through almost all of them (I know one it doesn’t)

piemistress
    Free Member

I phoned a shop today that had both the burley and the croozer doubles in stock. He said the croozers were better value for money as included the jogger and stroller conversion kits whereas they are quite a bit extra for the burley,

How do you like your croozer ransos ?

ados
    Free Member

thegeneralist – Member
    Where you based?
    I’m in Manchester and have a double Chariot which we probably ought to sell.

Hi,

if the OP isn’t interested could you send me some details of the Chariot please? Could collect. Email in profile. Thanks

kimbers

croozer double here
    they are great, well made, loads of storage good. in bad weather too fold flat but they are quite wide , storage and and putting in the car can be awkward
    on the trail the width is fine once you get used to it, can be a bit of a pita around town
    the stroller works ok but the jogger is more stable

all said ours is great use it much more than I thought we would

piemistress
    Free Member

Is the lack of suspension on the Croozer a biggie? Do you mainly use the jogger attachment as a pushchair, rather than the stroller? We will be using it as a pushchair quite a lot.

Ados, go for it, it’s not practical really for me living so far away!

kimbers

the croozer is a bit bumpy, but we have a baby sling which adds a bit of a softer ride for the wee-un, but on standard ‘blue’ trails its no problem and sustrans routes etc are all nice n smooth

tbh we still use it with the pushchair mode,- the jogger is very long! its just that the little wheel at the front gets caught up on things

ransos
    Free Member

How do you like your croozer ransos ?

I think it’s excellent – I use it for the nursery run, and I like the good storage space, which is more than enough for nappy change, spare clothes, tools and food, plus it seems really well made. I use the stroller attachment when going round the shops but have never bothered with the jogger wheel. It does fold down but takes up a lot of car boot space.

Lack of suspension doesn’t seem to be an issue – my daughter invariably falls asleep in it, even over some pretty bumpy tracks.

Regarding width of a double trailer, please do check the paths in your local area. My single trailer brushes against some of the pinch gates in bristol – a double simply wouldn’t fit through.

kimbers

i use mine for the daily nursery run

they are ace for days at the beach too

piemistress
    Free Member

Awwww lovely pic! My daughter is just a baba so will need the insert. Is there space in the trailer for the stroller wheel? Have just been advised though that it won’t fit on the back of my Trek Fuel bike, mmmmmm. Also read its possible to put different wheels on to make it less bouncy. Must see if I can find one locally to look at.

There aren’t that many cycle paths here really (unfortunately)

kimbers

yup stroller wheel will fit in easily, its got a huge boot!

ados
    Free Member

I should add a little more to my rather selfish reply earlier as I have now managed to look at these in a couple of shops

The Chariot Cougar looks really good and can see why it costs more than some of the others. They also look to hold value well so get a lot of outlay back when come to sell.

BUT the Croozer looks excellent too and in some ways I prefer the sling/bucket seat over the others.

I was hoping to find a trailer that I could use with my son on his own set up in the centre and also use as a double with friends children and his cousin. It appears the design of the Croozer for 2 means can’t centralise the seating position. If you want to always use it for two then I see this as a bonus!

As others have mentioned the Croozer for 2 is pretty wide, widths as below:

Chariot Cougar 1 67 cm
    Chariot Cougar 2 80 cm
    Croozer 1 74 cm
    Croozer 2 90 cm

Burleys look pretty good and very well put together but appear to me at least to have a higher centre of gravity and many have smaller 16″ wheels.

The fact that the Croozer comes with the jogger and stroller is a massive bonus.

I will probably go for the Croozer for 1 and then let others hire a trailer from the centres we normally use.

Also if find it a little too bumpy will look to see if can swap the tyres to Schwalbe Big Apples or similar.

Review here with a load of photos, (written by shop owner I believe):

http://www.whatbiketrailer.com/croozer-kid-for-2-review/

piemistress
    Free Member

Thank you! Think for what you get for your money the Croozer looks like a good option for us, especially if we can upgrade the tyres. Now to find the best deal on the web! 🙂

piemistress
    Free Member

Thank you! Think for what you get for your money the Croozer looks like a good option for us, especially if we can upgrade the tyres. Now to find the best deal on the web! 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Double Bike Trailer Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.