Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Double airbed for camping recommendations
  • darranps
    Free Member

Just taken the plunge on a bell tent for family camping. Successful and repeatable camping trips are going to rely on the comfort of the experience for all involved (Mrs), so I’m looking for recommendations for a double airbed.

I’ve had the previous issues of gradual deflation, general lack of comfort etc. So I’m guessing something with good puncture resistance, insulation from the ground and maybe a different top material although either of the last two could be dealt with using rugs, mattress toppers etc.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Having tried an airbed and had similar problems to your self I’d go for a folding camp bed with a self inflating mat on top if you’ve got a the height in the tent to do it.

You can get double beds and mats but I went for two singles so if I’m on my own I don’t have to lug around extra kit.

You’re off the ground so nice and warm and have the added bonus of a bit of storage space under the beds which is useful.

dknwhy

Vango comfort 10. Large pack size but really comfortable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Having just chucked another air bed in the bin where I just bloody cannot find the source of the leak to repair it, I’m considering either going back to a good self-inflating mat or a campbed.

It was a Coleman double (where each side is independent of the other) which worked well when it worked. Finding the leak is not as straightforward as on an inner tube. 😡

stevextc
    Free Member

I don’t really find airbeds more comfortable than the self inflating mats.
    (In many ways less so) and double airbed … seems likely to be a real pain as one person moves…. I find single ones uncomfy enough just the way they shift about…

Of course the OH’s perception may be different …

I did a 2 week trip with the ex and after about 3 days we arrived late, we were knackered it was chucking it down (Brittany) etc. and I just chucked in two self inflating mats.

We never used the inflatable again .(multiple camping trips).. assuming you’re pitched on some sort of grass/forest floor the self inflating takes out the lumps and bumps and provides insulation… doesn’t need inflating (which is even a pain with a car battery pump) and doesn’t need deflating (which is a pain when you move and it takes 3x the time as actually packing the tent away.

Mine are older “originals” but

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-400-l-self-inflating-mat-blue-id_8363044.html

Cougar

My advice would be “don’t,” airbeds are awful for camping. Double ones, er, doubly so.

Jakester
    Free Member

We gave up on an airbed after too many mornings with crippling back pain.

We now have two Exped Megamats which can either be joined together using their strap system or, if you’re like us and like a bodge, by sticking a double sheet over them.

They’re still not as comfy as, well, any proper bed, but they’re miles better than an airbed.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 Vango self-inflating. We got on well with the 7.5cm for (slightly) smaller pack size. Much prefer it than any blow-up airbed and have tried a few. Just top it off with a few puffs of air and adjust to comfort-level. Had one that lasted years of heavy use including /autumn winter camping when used a rag rug underneath mattress. Slept like a log.

*edit – Think I chose XL size for better width. Not sure if those are still available.

nedrapier

We’ve got an aerobed. inflation takes about a minute with the electric 12v pump. 90 degree bayonet thing, engage the pump, and it turns on, twist it off when it’s up and it turns off.

Couple of weeks camping a year since 2012 plus a few odd trips here and there and occasional guest bed use at home. I noticed this year that it’s just starting to lose a little air overnight. Happy with the use we’ve got out of it, and it’s not even bad enough to do anything about it yet, just needs a little extra squirt of air the following evening.

Fitted sheet, duvet and pillows from home, always had a comfy night. If it’s cold out, put a couple of blankets on top of the mattress, under the fitted sheet. Better than insulating the mattress from the ground – you’d have to heat up the whole volume of the airbed first.

The baffles and internal support mean that bouncing from the other person moving around isn’t an issue I’ve been bothered by.

I genuinely don’t understand people who say all airbeds are shit. Can only assume they’ve never tried a good one. Or they’re much more sensitive than me.

darranps
    Free Member

Thanks all!

Not much love for airbeds, but as you say nedrapier maybe it’s just a case of finding a good one?

Second recommendation I’ve had for Exped Jakester; but the Mega Mat Duo is wickedly expensive at £300 though. Anybody else had experience with these?

darranps
    Free Member

Just had a quick look at self-inflating matresses, there’s a few doubles at around 7-12cm thickness from Outwell, Vango, Exped etc.

Would like to know of any experiences on these…

nedrapier

Exped do make great stuff! Think about it in terms of nights in other accommodation saved. Our current camping set up cost a fair bit back in 2012, but we bought it for a 2 week holiday touring Norway, and I figured if it was comfy enough, we’d reduce the number of nights we might decide we’d had enough and bail to a hostel or B&B. In the end, we looked at a couple, but decided both times we really liked our tent, bed and duvet. And lakeside campsite!

for £300, I’d want to try one out, though. We had a couple of nights on our friends’ aerobed and were sold on the comfort. They’d bought theirs after doing the same with another friend’s.

ransos
    Free Member

We use two thick SIMs pushed together, with a double sleeping bag. Much more comfortable than an airbed, and if one SIM breaks you can buy a single replacement rather than having to throw the whole double away.

We started off with Outwell 7cm mats, but I had to bin one because of slow leaks around the valve. The Vango replacement seems to be holding up fine so far, but time will tell.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Airbeds are terrible.

We got a pair of Thermarest luxury mats, which have a self-inflating component bolstered by a nice thick layer of memory foam, and they are as comfy as our bed at home. Not cheap, but worth it if you can stretch to it.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Another vote for the Vango Comfort 10 but would emphasise the large pack size.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Outwell dreamcatcher here. Self inflating matt pretty much the same as the vango. Much much better than airbeds, spent many a cold night on rubbish air beds.

nedrapier

Much much better than rubbish airbeds, spent many a cold night on rubbish air beds.

some light fixing for you.

You can fix the cold with a blanket or two, and not buy rubbish anything.

ads678

We’ve used various different types of roll mats and airbeds over the years and generally I don’t get on with airbeds, but we want more comfort than a self inflating roll mat these days. We had a double self inflating roll mat 50mm thick I think, but it was huge when packed up.

We’ve gone back to and old school rubberised cotton air bed which is really comfy. Unfortunatlet it does’t have the pillow like the old ones used to have, but it’s way better than other air beds. IMHO.

We’ve got this one http://www.outwell.com/en/Products/flocks-mats/airbeds/box-airbed-double the valve is only small but it pumps up well with one of these type of pumps https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hand-pump-double-action–id_8174054.html?iv_=__iv_p_1_g_38294000829_c_174448348725_w_pla-185333117576_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_1o3x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_1345253_z_GB_i_en_j_185333117576_s__e__h_9046323_ii__vi__&gclid=CPjVt5ONmtQCFYtuGwodQRgE-g

Killer
    Free Member

I too hat hate the cheap rubbish airbed. I’m personally used to the single self inflating mats and a single sleeping bag.
    but am contemplating a trip out with the two of us, so trying to work out how best to arrange such a thing.
    I can’t help feeling that the self inflating mats are only any good when used with sleeping bags. Is that what everyone is advocating? if so 2 x single ones or a double? can’t help feeling there would be some serious falling out over a souble sleeping bag.
    What are people’s prefences/experiences with these?

my preference would be for the spare duvet from home, so the mats aren’t an option. Aerobed looks like the best way forward for duvets?

or is there some other option I’ve missed?

Jakester
    Free Member

darranps – Member
    Thanks all!

Not much love for airbeds, but as you say nedrapier maybe it’s just a case of finding a good one?

Second recommendation I’ve had for Exped Jakester; but the Mega Mat Duo is wickedly expensive at £300 though. Anybody else had experience with these?

They are wildly expensive, but I managed to get two singles on eBay for the price of one new, so keep your eyes peeled. I did try the Outwell Dreamcatcher and the Vango, and both were fine, but the price of the Outwell double 10cm was close to the price of the two Expeds, which have excellent reviews. I’ve used them for guests at home (and slept on them myself too) and they said it a hugely comfortable night for them as well.

Killer, we use our mats with a sheet and double duvet. Put a blanket down on the floor, mats go on top, a double bedsheet over them, and pillows and duvet from home. Job’s a good-un.

slowoldman

For heavy weight car camping I’ve always used a Colman double with a substantial sheet on top and a double duvet. Never any problems. Plenty warm enough – well OK sometimes resort to sleeping bags.

crankboy
    Free Member

https://www.alpkit.com/products/double-dozer we have just got this for this summer . it seems really comfy when tried on our living room floor , it packs large and weighty.

we have previously tried a vango double airbed which we did not like. It was bouncy and uncomfortable .We went back to using individual sleeping mats. The dozer has been bought as we have a full week away booked for this summer and crankygirl wants extra comfort.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Interesting for me that this has come up and reading with interest as the Mrs and I have been thinking about getting into this camping malarkey… But previously been put off by presuming we’d both have bad nights sleep.

But fitted sheets and duvets sounds alright … I thought it was against the camping law to be in anything other than sleeping bags!?!

As an aside … can you advise where to buy … Go outdoors/ Millets?? … any others or is ebay good…. thinking of going second hand for the tent, stupid idea? … Me the Mrs and a 9 and 6 year old.

Sorry for the small hi jack … thanks

stumpy01

When we go camping, it’s definitely at the ‘glamping’ end of the scale.

When my wife was pregnant she didn’t want to have to be wrestling herself up off the floor in the morning after a poor nights sleep, so we bought an Intex airbed from Amazon. I think it was about £40 and is a bit over the top – it’s a queen size & I don’t think they do double.

But, it is very comfortable, with a built in pump that takes only a couple of mins to inflate the thing completely.
    We only camp in the warmer months & haven’t noticed it being cold. We just use a double Coleman sleeping bag on top of it. My Wife really feels the cold & has never complained with this sleeping option.

It doubles as a guest bed at home and actually packs smaller than our previous low-level double air bed because the pump is so good at evacuating all the air, it is really easy to fold completely flat.

If you’ve got the space, I’d recommend trying one.

Like this: http://www.intexcorp.com/64413e.html

brassneck

Airbeds often aren’t losing air, its the heated air being pumped in colling and losing a little pressure.

We have a double with a built in pump (and valve option for foot pump / external 12v) and as long as you top it up for a minute or two it’s fine. About £40 and we camp for around 5-6 weeks between us (family often go off when I have to work).

They don’t pack small though, so a self inflator might be the way to go if you are luggage challenged. I just bought a van 😀

EDIT: Think we have the same one as stumpy above

rockhopper70

We have the Vango 7.5cm thick self inflating double mattress.
    Surprisingly comfortable and way way better than the wire leg, canvas topped beds we started out with.
    Kipping in an Outwell double sleeping bag and no complaints or issues about the cold or comfort at all.

ransos
    Free Member

I can’t help feeling that the self inflating mats are only any good when used with sleeping bags. Is that what everyone is advocating? if so 2 x single ones or a double? can’t help feeling there would be some serious falling out over a souble sleeping bag.

2 single mats, double sleeping bag, double sleeping bag liner. We did a fortnight’s camping in France with this, and it worked very well, with no arguments. On hot nights you can just have the sheet, and if it’s cold then a sheet plus zipped up double bag is nice and warm.

darranps
    Free Member

We use two thick SIMs pushed together, with a double sleeping bag. Much more comfortable than an airbed, and if one SIM breaks you can buy a single replacement rather than having to throw the whole double away.

Sounds like a good idea. Also like the idea of being able to use a single one on mantrips

For heavy weight car camping I’ve always used a Colman double with a substantial sheet on top and a double duvet.

Sounds like our setup, definitely duvet and the car will be bulging but if it means everyone is happy in a tent then it’s a winner.

Haven’t even got onto the subject of camping with a 1 year old a 2 1/2 year old!

cheers_drive

We always used a king size Intex matress for camping with electric hook up. It is comfy (vistors at home use it and always comment on how comfortable it is), it is however massive and heavy to transport. It’s also so high that sloping tent sides become an issue.
    Looking to replace with self inflating so this thread is useful.

muttley109
    Free Member

Another vote for the vango comfort 10.

It is pretty big when packed up but as you have a bell tent I guess you aren’t planning on carrying it!

We combine it with one of these and it’s like sleeping in a real bed. http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-aurora-double-sleeping-bag-p262625&gclid=CjwKEAjw07nJBRDG_tvshefHhWQSJABRcE-ZoQ79iUCyqa38Mqc49fx05L80Aaa6lzQowWwE3k_jYBoCsS3w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’ve spent a lot of time sleeping in Tents and bivis up mountains, in the snow and have used everything from my rucksack and rope to exped down filled mats. I appreciate the Comfort but it wasn’t essential for me.
    The better half however had never camped in her life! It took some serious convincing but once she tried this set up she was pretty happy and camping has now become a regular thing for both of us.
    Saying that I’m sneaking off this weekend on the bike for some proper roughing it camping without the luxuries!

CountZero

Apart from one festival weekend back in the 90’s, with borrowed kit, apart from my Blacks sleeping bag, I didn’t start camping until around six years ago, with a three-person tent from Millets, an ultralight bag I bought for a biking tour in France, and one of those big blue airbeds from Argos. It was miserable. First day was warm and sunny, a lovely June day, then it all went downhill, turned cold and wet, and I was frozen at night, ended up fully clothed in my bag, wrapped with several wool removals blankets I keep in the car. And I was still sodding frozen through!
    Seems that, according to STWiki, those mattresses just keep air at ambient temperature, as well as leak air for a passtime, so following advice from wiser ones than me, I found a Gelert s/i 10cm mattress, £17 down from £70, and it’s bloody wonderful! Adding some extra puff gives a lovely plush base, and a much thicker bag from Aldi, cheap but oh, so warm and snug, and I’ve done a week each at IoW Festival, Greenman and nine days camping in October in South Devon, and I couldn’t be happier with the setup.
    As its only me, then just the single mattress is fine, but a larger one might be nice, more room to move around.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Double airbed for camping recommendations’ is closed to new replies.